Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2435414 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23450 on: May 21, 2020, 12:18:51 am »
100kms today to Brill Windmill. Am I the only one that is still furloughed and that can enjoy longer rides during the week in the weather on days like today? I’m going to miss it when I finally go back to work.

« Reply #23451 on: May 21, 2020, 07:28:56 am »
What do you mean, still? I've been working full time :)

Managed to sneak in a lovely 40 miles out round Teesdale and Labgleydale last night, though. The roads were quite quiet, after a noticeable pickup in traffic for the last week or so. And I found a tractor that was slow enough to catch, and grabbed on the back to get a bit of help up a wee climb.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #23452 on: May 21, 2020, 10:42:24 am »
A pleasant 50k ride out west to Linlithgow and back yesterday post work.

We lived in Linlithgow when we were first married, up one of the turn-offs out the Blackness Rd.  That was before they built the motorway - it was a pleasant walk, round the loch.  Dunno what it'd be like now.  I can remember an old neighbour saying "aye, it'll be grand to see Lithgy from the motorway".  :facepalm:

The motorway predates my cycling career, but the main + is/was that the A803 is a lot quieter.  I tend to turn back east at the railway station and will avoid the A803 between Linlithgow and Lathallan RAB as its an unpleasant rat run for the motorway. 

Up until about 10 years ago the Edinburgh Road Club midweek 10TT started from Kirkliston out to just past the Bridgend turn off and back again with a dead turn. 

That has gone by the wayside with both Kirkliston and especially Winchburgh expanding hugely and we're now out in Tranent.   

I wasn't cycling at all back then. We used to drive up to Braemar, camp, and go hill-walking.  Long time ago now, over 40 years - I probably wouldn't recognize anything.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #23453 on: May 21, 2020, 11:46:42 am »
A short 6 miles to gain a appetite for  my birthday supper. A bit warm out there   :)
Happy birthday! Plus a day.  :D
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #23454 on: May 21, 2020, 12:52:33 pm »
27km to check on my two favourite coffee shops - one in country and one in city - and give my batteries a little work.
Coffee shops still shut, switched the batteries half way and suffered two near misses. The one upset me but I enjoyed the swearing. :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #23455 on: May 21, 2020, 12:57:03 pm »
A short 6 miles to gain a appetite for  my birthday supper. A bit warm out there   :)

Are you sure that yesterday was your birthday?
After we spoke I checked my calendar and it has you down for birthdays on the 30th of this month. It's likely to be more accurate than your memory as I'm sure you will agree! ; :)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23456 on: May 21, 2020, 01:07:32 pm »
Another super ride on Grunhilda today, of 45km. No aches, no pains, no soreness, just smiles. Almost 700km in May so far,   I really , really should have got one 15 years ago,...............so should you. :)

« Reply #23457 on: May 21, 2020, 06:26:51 pm »
15 mile loop with the lots of exotic and interesting aromas wafting through Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill man!

« Reply #23458 on: May 21, 2020, 06:29:26 pm »
Thanks  cudzoziemiec, and  nobby.  If you want to send me a  birthday present on the 30th as well I won't stop you   ;)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #23459 on: May 21, 2020, 07:00:14 pm »
100km with 1500m of ascent out in The Peaks, not as hot as yesterday but still very nice.

Did Monsal Head and Beeley Moor and few other big climbs.

Tough but fun!

« Reply #23460 on: May 21, 2020, 08:48:46 pm »
Early start to work = early finish so I was off and away on two wheels not long after 4pm for a lovely loop round West Lothian out through South Queensferry Philipstoun Lithgae and back via Kirkliston. 

It was such a lovely evening that when I got to Cramond Brig I stuck on an extra loop through Barnton and Craigleith to Murrayfield and home.  Just *the* most enjoyable cycling conditions. 

Forecast looks like it will confine me to barracks until Monday. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49209019

« Reply #23461 on: May 21, 2020, 08:56:27 pm »
Thanks  cudzoziemiec, and  nobby.  If you want to send me a  birthday present on the 30th as well I won't stop you   ;)
Sorry Chris but with Coronavirus and all I can't get out to Poundland. :'(

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #23462 on: May 21, 2020, 09:24:23 pm »
Oh yes you can! Chris, I'm going to get you not one but two (2!!) flags for your trike. It's all I can afford...
https://www.poundland.co.uk/111076-england-car-flag-2-pack/
 :D
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #23463 on: May 21, 2020, 09:29:20 pm »
Car was in for MOT today so a 60k loop until it was ready to collect after a pass thankfully.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49194712
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #23464 on: May 22, 2020, 07:41:02 am »
Surprising amount of runners and cyclists out and about at 5.45 this morning on a 20 loop round Mid Sussex

« Reply #23465 on: May 22, 2020, 08:09:49 am »
Oh yes you can! Chris, I'm going to get you not one but two (2!!) flags for your trike. It's all I can afford...
https://www.poundland.co.uk/111076-england-car-flag-2-pack/
 :D
Don't do it! He'll arrive in a little one horse town with a population of about 2,000, such as Craven Arms, and two local gangsta kids will steal them. It's happened before!
His trikes are treated as a gift shop by many passers by  ;D

« Reply #23466 on: May 22, 2020, 08:16:08 am »
90-something km in search of a couple of awkward VeloViewer tiles.  Hotter than I anticipated, though I managed not to get sunburnt, and my eyes were itching for the duration.

I didn't get the camera out, so here's a library photo of the sign at Haseley Knob:

You'll have to imagine the cordoned-off manhole with a pair of ducks swimming in it, and the kid on a unicycle clutching a milkshake desperately trying to keep up with his friends on mountain bikes.
A picture for the TT thread? Percy Tait farmed here  :)

« Reply #23467 on: May 22, 2020, 08:40:08 am »
How did you know I was flagging   ;D

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #23468 on: May 22, 2020, 01:00:40 pm »

Are you sure that yesterday was your birthday?
After we spoke I checked my calendar and it has you down for birthdays on the 30th of this month. It's likely to be more accurate than your memory as I'm sure you will agree! ; :)

There's nothing to stop Chris having an Official Birthday - we top people do, you know. One finds it rather surprising that it is so close to one's natural birthday, though. One's butler's assistant needs to hire extra flunkies to open the presents.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

« Reply #23469 on: May 22, 2020, 02:02:30 pm »

There's nothing to stop Chris having an Official Birthday - we top people do, you know. One finds it rather surprising that it is so close to one's natural birthday, though. One's butler's assistant needs to hire extra flunkies to open the presents.
Indeed I have one myself. Actual birthday September and half birthday March. With Father's Day and Christmas the year is neatly divided into four lots of presents. :)

« Reply #23470 on: May 22, 2020, 06:59:25 pm »
You have to buy them all yourself though   ;D

« Reply #23471 on: May 23, 2020, 06:09:05 pm »
There's no getting away from it - I'm gloriously unfit so I went out twice.
This morning went on a 20 mile loop with a slight detour up Ditchling Beacon and everyone drove a Saab. In the afternoon did a 15 mile loop round Burgess Hill (or Bugger's Hole as uneducated people call it)

« Reply #23472 on: May 24, 2020, 09:56:31 am »
30 mile loop around Newick, Chailey and Scaynes Hill - I've never been greeted as 'chief' before when other cyclists pass I hope this doesn't mean I'm getting slow!

« Reply #23473 on: May 24, 2020, 06:38:54 pm »
Badly needed to get out after the horrendous weather of the last 2 day's so headed out into still a strong wind but stayed dry for the 100k.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49438039
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #23474 on: May 24, 2020, 06:47:01 pm »
Badly needed to get out after the horrendous weather of the last 2 day's so headed out into still a strong wind but stayed dry for the 100k.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49438039
looks a nice ride Jim.