Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2698609 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24200 on: January 03, 2021, 04:47:21 pm »
Another trot around the usual 20 miler. Felt a bit less cold, so wore lighter gloves and, rather than my clumpy but warm winter boots, shoes, toe covers and overshoes. Didn’t work, I was warm, but feet were cold by the time I got home. But I enjoyed the feeling of agility they gave cf the boots, and was quite a bit quicker than yesterday as I felt more able to react should I have to.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #24201 on: January 03, 2021, 04:49:20 pm »
A 30 mile loop down to Effingham and back. Really rather pleasant out there. Not many cars, no floods, a bit of sunshine. No complaints.
Rust never sleeps

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24202 on: January 05, 2021, 07:49:16 pm »
A nice loop I've not done before, or at least not in total.  From Ely, out through Queen Adelaide, then along the A1101 foe a few unavoidable km to the turn to Mildenhall, out the back end of there towards Feltwell taking the back roads (some a little more "back" than expected, but only a 1km retrace of my steps), then back through Southery, Ten Mile Bank and home via Littleport.

Overall it was a great day to be out, when the sun shone, and I only got caught in one brief shower.  It was bitterly cold all the way round though, and with that nasty Nor-Eeasterly, the leg out to Feltwell was mostly hard work, down to <20kmh at times, but that all changed at the turn.  Still one of my slowest rides overall of that distance though at just over 3 hours, and 23.7kmh average.

That was my first outside ride since 21st Nov, and my longest since 72km on the recumbent in August. Surprisingly 2020 has actually got my highest recorded annual total desp[ite mostly being made up of sub 40km rides with a bad back
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #24203 on: January 06, 2021, 11:59:12 am »
First ride of the year. Shifted various vehicles about at work yesterday and brought new to us car home which resulted in my work van being er at work. So today had a little cycle to retrieve it. Legs felt it more then they should but don't think I'm running on full gas atm. Typically got the first visitation of the year on the first ride. I knew something was in the tyre as could hear it on the mudguard but wasn't a good place to stop and didn't quite make the pull in. Bonus was finding I'd remembered to replace the disposable gloves in my saddle bag. Finished the ride then managed to shoe horn the bike into the back of a fiesta van. Only just squeezed in with both wheels off. And for a bonus found the sole had fallen off my cycling shoes and was just held on by the overshoes

« Reply #24204 on: January 06, 2021, 06:16:42 pm »
24km with ~500m after work tonight, mostly main roads but a few little residential street climbs. One of the best things about living in Sheffield is the myriad of little (and big) climbs we have, there's always something new to find and sink your teeth into.

My average speed is ever increasing with further weight loss and more "training".

I say "training" because I don't actual have a plan or any kind of clue as to what I'm doing. I just ride quite a bit and try hard on some climbs, accidentally a bit like HIIT, I think but mostly I'm just trying to keep up with Little Dave.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24205 on: January 07, 2021, 11:45:53 am »
rather chilly 30km ride on Olive....brrrrrrrr.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24206 on: January 08, 2021, 12:09:19 pm »
^^^ Ditto today, double brrrrrrrr!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24207 on: January 09, 2021, 11:43:59 am »
^^^ Ditto 28km................tripple Brrrrrrrrrrr!

« Reply #24208 on: January 09, 2021, 01:13:35 pm »
To the shed for a quick jaunt in the Jura, courtesy of BigRingVR. It was -2C out, which is tolerable, especially with no wind, but the freezing fog and glassy road put me off a real ride.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #24209 on: January 09, 2021, 03:43:25 pm »
9 miles to Belper and back. 1st ride in several weeks, so a gentle start back. Beautiful weather. Nippy, but bright sunshine. I was very conscious of the low sun, and careful of drivers who might not be able to see me.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #24210 on: January 09, 2021, 04:42:47 pm »
Short ride around town.  Murky & cold - though I was warm.  Traffic not too bad today, for a change.  Around town, cycling definitely a good way to avoid peds, which means dual-use paths (aka footpaths with permitted cycling) are more no-go areas than usual, due to numbers of peds.  Made the mistake of trying one path on the ring road a couple of days ago, due to traffic conditions - I was coming up behind someone who did double snot rockets, and as I got closer didn't respond to bell - due to headphones in.  Town = annoying number of junctions too.  Joy.  Otherwise good to get out.   ;)
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

« Reply #24211 on: January 09, 2021, 06:50:23 pm »
Yep lovely outing in the freezing 🥶 fog with ice forming on glasses, beanie, jacket, gloves etc. Stuck to gritted roads for 95%. Temp range -1C to -2C. Clothing perfect so no cold hands or feet.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #24212 on: January 09, 2021, 10:27:34 pm »
12 laps of local roads at 2.5 miles each, because I knew they would be gritted, and pedestrian free.  After about the 4th loop managed to remember where the loose manhole cover opposite the waste disposal site was.  Actually turned out to be a pretty good training loop, with two short climbs and a few technical turns.
Eddington Numbers 125 (imperial), 175 (metric) 529 (furlongs)  112 (nautical miles)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24213 on: January 12, 2021, 12:31:57 pm »
A quite  mild , but 'skoggy' 38km.

« Reply #24214 on: January 12, 2021, 06:22:21 pm »
Managed to walk with the walking frame down to the local shops and back. Need a rest now  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24215 on: January 13, 2021, 12:02:24 pm »
Filthy , wet, and demoralising 33km on Olive, not comfy at all, but won't use 'Hilda n this weather.

« Reply #24216 on: January 13, 2021, 11:59:57 pm »
38kms in two (well three really) sessions. The company Caddy (that I use a couple of times a week for taxi jobs) had an appointment with an assurance expert and a service due. So I got to skip the taxi runs and take it out to the garage with the folder to take me back in to town for another taxi job with a different vehicle (19 very soggy kms if the gps in my pocket was to be believed). After the job hand the vehicle back and 3kms home (all up hill and soggy!). Then the run back out to pick up the Caddy from the garage - timed perfectly, I got there before the rain came back and after the expert had done his stuff  :thumbsup:

This is the furthest I have been on the folder and the first time outside town and more than 5kms since august. The riding position really is too low (which also makes the cranks much too long for my knees) and I am going to have to do something drastic (like a homemade seat post extension) to fix this. That apart it went really well, still waiting for me to give it a higher top gear, and was a very nice thing to ride. I was a lot quicker than I have any right to be!!

(Touring note- straight out declassified main road, which doesn't carry any traffic because it is all on the parallel dual carriageway. A few good hills on it!

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #24217 on: January 14, 2021, 02:09:36 pm »
Managed to walk with the walking frame down to the local shops and back. Need a rest now  :)
Easier by bike trike!
Faster than a walk, slower than a train, often slightly higher than a person. (David Byrne)

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #24218 on: January 14, 2021, 06:16:46 pm »
Barakta's recently taken delivery of a walking frame[1], and I agree with that conclusion.  Horrible unwieldy thing, but marginally better at doorways.

[1] With a sort of aero bars arrangement to unload the wrists, which should gain her a couple of nanoseconds in the walking frame time trial.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #24219 on: January 14, 2021, 07:14:01 pm »
Bearings and axle replacement on the ez3 trike means that it's temporarily out of action and beginnings of bearing problems with the bafang motor Bearings means that I am trying not to use it till the ez3 is fixed.
Barakta has a frame!,racing time  :D

« Reply #24220 on: January 14, 2021, 08:18:20 pm »

Does your Zimmer have wheels and brakes like a french one? My mum took her french one with her when she went into nursing home in Lancs and it was greatly admired!

« Reply #24221 on: January 14, 2021, 08:27:32 pm »
After the excitement of doing "distance"  :o yesterday today the folder was back to doing its day job, the 4km between the boss' house and home after dropping off the "company" car. I would say boring but rain and a Limoges cycle lane more than made up in creating uncomfortable underwear moments

« Reply #24222 on: January 15, 2021, 07:12:34 am »
Yes, wheels,  brakes and a seat. I haven't tried seating on it and rolling down hills with it yet so  ;)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24223 on: January 15, 2021, 12:28:36 pm »
Set off at about 0945 intending to ride 20/25 miles in a loop around the town (including 2 laps of one section of about 5 miles) - bloody cold with fingers (in good gloves) struggling to work the brakes - retreated to the warmth and mug of Bovril at home after about 11 miles.     Still in shorts, legs/feet not a problem with cold  :thumbsup:
Cycle:End-to-End     Resources and inspiration for the great adventure!
HoE Cycling Club

« Reply #24224 on: January 15, 2021, 03:46:02 pm »
Out for an hour after bleeding front brake in the freezing 🥶 temps.  Brakes nice and crisp again. Cut ride a bit short after meeting deep flood, was aiming at 1.5 hours.