Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3969897 times)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #26125 on: 02 October, 2023, 05:15:46 pm »
20 recumbent miles in the Fens yesterday, following some sort of viral illness a week ago (no, apparently not that one). Ludicrously tiring, so obviously not right again yet, but good to be out on the Fuego again.

« Reply #26126 on: 05 October, 2023, 06:27:03 pm »
54kms of Limousin and Pays Nontronnais (an almost unknown bit of the Dordogne). It goes up and down a bit and this was my first "long" ride since the beginning of may! Also the first time in a long time that I haven't been riding the folder. Great fun and morale boosting but I did finish a bit tired (and the afternoon got a bit warmer than forecast, which didn't help. Still under 30° so not really roasting hot!)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26127 on: 05 October, 2023, 08:32:24 pm »
A potter out to Pen's for pots of tea. Only 9k but it keeps the legs moving.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #26128 on: 06 October, 2023, 12:42:13 pm »
Shopping. 15.11 km round York. Windy and warm, I shed 2 layers down to a T-shirt and thought shorts might have been a good idea.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #26129 on: 06 October, 2023, 01:07:57 pm »
Out for a walk, up Bread and Cheese Hill, first walk since left Achilles Injury.

Went OK. Not going to be running for a while. (I haven't run except to cross the road / catch a bus etc., since the 1980s.)
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #26130 on: 06 October, 2023, 06:02:19 pm »
More shopping - 7km to get Mrs As prescription. Luckily she is knitting son a hat so didn’t want to go too - in the car.

Afasoas

« Reply #26131 on: 07 October, 2023, 01:37:07 pm »
18 km; 21 km/h average
Around the foot hills of the chase so a little bit lumpy.

Bike needs a little bit more fettling. Chain rubbing on front mech in lowest gear and shift up into a higher gear (down the cassette) involves shifting up two gears and then back down one.
Bike supposedly recently had new cables and bar tape and it all looks to be in good condition so I think I'm gonna replace that cable. Adjusting cable tension just results in the opposite problem where it won't down shift properly.

« Reply #26132 on: 08 October, 2023, 06:43:55 pm »
A 70k round trip from Wooler to the Honey Farm at Horncliffe, as it happens their 75th anniversary.  Nice cafe in a converted double decker bus, comfy chairs and a heater on the top deck were welcome after a cool, drizzly ride.  After a look at the restored 19th c Union Bridge, back to Wooler in increasingly warm and dry conditions.  Even got a bit of sunshine - very welcome after a day of heavy rain yesterday.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #26133 on: 09 October, 2023, 06:44:18 pm »
Another trip into town. 12.77 km. could have worn shorts and T-shirt. It was 22C.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26134 on: 10 October, 2023, 09:03:21 am »
Sunday, Tandem Club ride. 73km circular route from Redhill. Hot and sunny. New, to me, cycle path/NCN/bridleway parallel with the grotty narrow A25 heading west of Dorking.  Fine butternut squash curry in a Thee Pubbe for lunch, Weare Street (the finest piece of tarmac in the South according to St Simon of Legge Bandage) after lunch, complete with its New! Shiny! 20 mph limit.  Rude hill at the end followed by CAIK at the orgs house.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26135 on: 13 October, 2023, 11:34:29 am »
Started out loaded for a 200, realized after ~10k that antibiotics + Covid booster not the best of prep: legs didn't want to work.  Headed for the nearest source of comfort food & coffee, then home with 46 km on the clock.  Annoying 'coz today's the last day that it's to be warm: 28° forecast for this afternoon then it's zonk down to max 12°C by Monday with possible overnight frost.

Noticed that council has re-surfaced the smoothest stretch of cycle path in the area, improving it not one whit but leaving a New! Shiny! 5cm drop if you go too near the edge, such stuff as purlers are made of. In other places the upthrusting roots'll chip your teeth for you.  Ah well.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #26136 on: 13 October, 2023, 12:23:39 pm »
Started out loaded for a 200, realized after ~10k that antibiotics + Covid booster not the best of prep: legs didn't want to work. ...

Now that is interesting. I have been wondering what that aching in my calf muscles was about, I really was concerned about it as I am recovering from an achilles injury. I too am on antibiotics (sinus infection) and had a Covid booster recently.
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26137 on: 13 October, 2023, 01:17:21 pm »
Yeah.  I went back through my annals and found a 2021 comment about not having any oomph 4 days post-vaccination.  I'm wishing now I'd pushed the vaccination appointment forward to next week, after the weather reverts to normal (i.e. lousy).
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #26138 on: 14 October, 2023, 03:36:43 pm »
Having struggled on a run Thursday I think due to having had covid week before was a little hesitant for a small group ride especially when the very slow person I could probably keep up with when I had covid pulled out. I was also planning on taking g the club tour instead of the very rarely used "fast bike" due to expecting the roads to be covered in mud and crap after yesterday's rain

As it was another of the group pulled out so only two of us sullied forth with me in flandrian best of knee and arm warmers and two gillets as had turned decidedly cold

It was however beautifully sunny and initially very still. The first half was mostly up after a trip to Boreham and then a side assent of TMNH (the mighty North hill for those non local).

For some reason we had planned to stop at peartree pantry but that request was submitted by someone who didn't come, however we had used his route but were ahead of schedule so chucked in some more loops to make sure we arrived once they'd opened. A combination of not having cycled much, it being 3 hours from breakfast and a headwind that had picked up made the last few K to the pantry a bit harder but soon got there

Having perused the breakfast menu thought that's all a bit steep so settled on an americano to fuel me the last few k home. Just over 35km but made me remember i do rather like cycling having been mostly running this year.

« Reply #26139 on: 14 October, 2023, 11:02:11 pm »
Started out loaded for a 200, realized after ~10k that antibiotics + Covid booster not the best of prep: legs didn't want to work. ...

Now that is interesting. I have been wondering what that aching in my calf muscles was about, I really was concerned about it as I am recovering from an achilles injury. I too am on antibiotics (sinus infection) and had a Covid booster recently.
Achilles tendinopathy with antibiotics is well known. We also see it in other areas as well with even tendon rupture. https://www.treatmyachilles.com/post/these-antibiotics-can-cause-achilles-tendinitis-and-tendon-rupture

« Reply #26140 on: 14 October, 2023, 11:19:03 pm »
I rode out earlier this week to get a Covid top-up, then wombled back by a follow-your-nose route.  By the time I reached home I was crawling along with back pains (I had twinged my back a week before, but previous outings on the bike had been fine). 

I've been dutifully doing my exercises and the pain has diminished, so I went out today for another unscripted ride.  Ended up doing 60k over increasing hills and arrived home with no increase in the residual niggles. 

E still thinks it might be a kidney infection, so, if it's no better on Monday, I'll phone the surgery and listen to their interminable on-hold advice messages ("if you are actually dying, hang up now and dial 999").

Afasoas

« Reply #26141 on: 15 October, 2023, 01:05:45 pm »
Fourth outing on the new-to-me road bike.

20.2 km at an average of 22 km/h. Less climbing this time.
The outwood leg, I managed a hair raising 23km/h average speed and for a while started to feel like I knew what I was doing.

Got a nod from another road cyclist in the oncoming direction. So I'm at least looking the part.

« Reply #26142 on: 15 October, 2023, 06:27:11 pm »
A Potter over to hillingdon cycle circuit to watch the bhpc races. Very entertaining  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #26143 on: 15 October, 2023, 07:13:37 pm »

Achilles tendinopathy with antibiotics is well known. We also see it in other areas as well with even tendon rupture. https://www.treatmyachilles.com/post/these-antibiotics-can-cause-achilles-tendinitis-and-tendon-rupture

So if I have an Achilles problem, subsequently being put on antibiotics may well slow my recovery?

« Reply #26144 on: 15 October, 2023, 07:18:15 pm »
Fourth outing on the new-to-me road bike.

20.2 km at an average of 22 km/h. Less climbing this time.
The outwood leg, I managed a hair raising 23km/h average speed and for a while started to feel like I knew what I was doing.

Got a nod from another road cyclist in the oncoming direction. So I'm at least looking the part.

Not necessarily. I nod/wave/chat/smile at all other cyclists/motorcyclists/scooterists.  ;)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #26145 on: 15 October, 2023, 09:07:29 pm »
Rode back from Selsey today - with a day pass, so rode over to Petworth and then did a big left hook around Petersfield to have a late lunch at the Route 66 Burger Van on Portsdown Hill, and then a slight dog leg route back to Basingstoke to bring up a century.  Had struggled with a cold the previous weekend and a net 50-miles of headwind (more like 75 miles of headwind and 25 miles of tailwind) as well as over 2000m of ascent made it a bigger day out than it would have been a month ago.  With the cold wind it felt like it had gone straight from summer to winter.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26146 on: 15 October, 2023, 10:15:14 pm »
A ride to Two Tree Island to try to photograph some birds. I did so, but they were too far away. Quite a lot of black-tailed godwits, several assorted ducks, and what I'm pretty sure was a ringed plover standing alone.

Cold. Too cold, in fact, to sit in a bird hide with the wind whistling through the aperture.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #26147 on: 16 October, 2023, 04:42:19 pm »
First proper ride for 6 weeks. 45 miles including a lot of off road. Two coffee stops, one with sausage roll (Brentwood) and the other with cake (Hutton). Absolutely knackered now.

« Reply #26148 on: 16 October, 2023, 07:30:36 pm »
My second attempt at a ride after the temperature had dropped. The first attempt I had to turn back after 18km because my feet were too cold, admittedly I didn't really dress for the weather. I think I have developed some sort of circulation problem as I get older because I used to be able to ride a 200km audax in 0°C but that seems impossible now and I really feel the cold a lot more.

Anyway, I bought some merino socks and armed with them, leg warmers and overshoes and heavier gloves I set out this morning when it was about 6°C. Was OK for the first hour but when I dropped down off the Eastmoor to Curbar I began to feel cold in my feet again. Seriously thought of turning back and was feeling a little dispirited - especially by an unexpected road closure for tree pruning in Froggatt. Despite not really enjoying it I did press on, through Haversage and then up Snake Pass. The thing about that is that it's about 20km to the top of the pass and if it gets too much you can turn round at any time before the top and pretty much roll back to Haversage for sustenance. I did actually make it to the top in one piece and it was getting a bit warmer by then anyway. Course the climb helped warm me up too. So I "took the plunge" and descended to Glossop for lunch. About half way down the descent there was a strange plasticky noise from the bike and I was like "Huh, what was that?" then looked down and noticed my little Cateye cycle computer had gone on an excursion. I walked back about 100m and there it was, waiting by the side of the road in the grass. Resumed the descent into Glossop with no further problems, though I was on the brakes most of the time to avoid going too fast and getting cold. I don't like descending the west side anyway, it's steeper and the bike will run away from you very easily if you're not careful, there are lots of sharp bends and cars always seem to want to "sneak by" before the next bend.

Stopped at Tesco's, my usual stopping place in the summer. Costa coffee large mocha and those vanilla slice things they have (highly recommended!) helped fuel the return trip. It's probably not a good idea to climb Snake Pass on a full stomach but I didn't want to dawdle and get cold, and the sun was out behind hazy cloud and I didn't want to waste the afternoon. Probably need to find a cafe in glossop where I can warm up if I do this ride again. The climb from the west side is about 380m ascent in total, most of it at about 7%. I much prefer to climb from that side because once you're up, you're up, whereas the east side undulates up and down quite a bit. And descending the east side is also more fun. The autumn sunlight glinting off Ladybower reservoir was quite beautiful, I may have to go up there for a walk later this week.

Took 10 minutes in Hathersage to have a breather and refill my water bottle at the public fountain, while I steeled myself for the annoyingly lumpy road between Hathersage and Froggatt/Curbar. Not that it's gruesome, but I'd rather be saving my energy for the climb up https://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/curbar-edge/ Normally I stop for a little rest at the crossroads but today I made it up without stopping - the first time ever. It's "hard stuff done" when I get to the top of there, there is some rolling stuff after that and across the Eastmoor but I know when I get 10km from home it's essentially downhill all the way which always helps with motivation!

126km, 1923m of ascent according to my GPS, but it undercounts by about 10% if audaxes I have done are anything to go by. 18.7kmh moving average, 16.5kmh overall average.

I'm signed up to do an audax on the 12th of November, I'll be watching the temperature closely, if it's like today I might just make it. There are still some improvements I can make to my clothing (double leg warmers, are they a thing?) and winter boots will help. I didn't really get cold anywhere else but my feet.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #26149 on: 16 October, 2023, 10:58:21 pm »

So if I have an Achilles problem, subsequently being put on antibiotics may well slow my recovery?
Sorry, should have read it properly. I thought your Achilles pain came on post antibiotics.
I have seen one ruptured hand tendon ascribed to ciprofloxacin so it is not impossible that it could turn a tendon strain into a tear. Best advice, no plyometrics for a few weeks.