Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3969707 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #26200 on: 25 November, 2023, 12:06:12 pm »
First cafe run for 5 weeks due to family illness.  Was ok, considering it was minus 2 when I left home.  Noticeably more oxygen in the air.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #26201 on: 25 November, 2023, 09:15:31 pm »
Potter around Windsor Park this afternoon. Lovely sunny day. 🌞
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #26202 on: 26 November, 2023, 05:01:02 pm »
A quicky to the shops. The new chain and cassette have performed black magic.

I click the gears - there is zero noise - and I'm in another gear.

Previously the gears would resist any change, "Seriously?", says the drivetrain, "You changed gear a minute ago!".

So you stab the gear with more authority - to show it who is boss.

The drivetrain puts down its newspaper. Complains as it stubs out its cigarette. Pulls whatever levers, cranks and pulleys are necessary which begins a cacophony of clatter, grind and smashing sounds. Think Houdini, with a hangover, bound by three furlongs of chain and ten locks. Thrown into a large washing machine. That's then pushed down a metal staircase. Expensive, unhappy, mechanical sounds.

Several false changes tease you, before snaping back into the symphony of mechanical agony. And just before you stab the lever again - the gear heralds its arrival with a clank and shudder that shakes the rain drops from the frame.

I think I'll change the chain earlier next time...

« Reply #26203 on: 26 November, 2023, 05:15:21 pm »
Not today.  Went out yesterday intending to do my 7-mile lap of the industrial estate but after half a mile or so I encountered frost where the sun is too low at this time of year to reach over the hawthorn.  Crawled round a different route for a mile or so then home.  The weather forecast suggests that we will have ideal conditions in the North-West for about ten days; warming enough to allow rain during the day and cooling at night to give ice each day.  I only need 40 minutes a day but it's not worth the broken bones.  Depression, here I come.  Gonna need some bigger mince pies!

sam

« Reply #26204 on: 26 November, 2023, 06:27:49 pm »
The drivetrain puts down its newspaper...

Gears: Just say no.

« Reply #26205 on: 26 November, 2023, 09:17:48 pm »
Not today.  Went out yesterday intending to do my 7-mile lap of the industrial estate but after half a mile or so I encountered frost where the sun is too low at this time of year to reach over the hawthorn.  Crawled round a different route for a mile or so then home.  The weather forecast suggests that we will have ideal conditions in the North-West for about ten days; warming enough to allow rain during the day and cooling at night to give ice each day.  I only need 40 minutes a day but it's not worth the broken bones.  Depression, here I come.  Gonna need some bigger mince pies!
What about studded tyres?  Mine will go on this week.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26206 on: 26 November, 2023, 10:08:39 pm »
A quick blast out on the Bloo Fixer this morning, which was combined with a visit to drop something off to one of my Scouts. He thought my bike looked very nice. Good lad.  Back home by way of grinding up the hill to Pease Pottage then generally downwards to Colgate and in to Horsham. A tad chilly but no ice.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #26207 on: 26 November, 2023, 11:56:24 pm »
What about studded tyres?  Mine will go on this week.

A couple of things militate against that good suggestion for me, Chris.  Firstly, I stick to folders these days because my arthritic hands make changing a tyre very painful if there's a puncture and occasionally impossible (hence the endless laps of the estate - I can walk home pushing the bike because I'm never much more than a mile from the house).  I can change folders ok.  Secondly, I've never used studded tyres and I suppose I'm too nervous.

I need the exercise for health reasons but I can walk while it's like this and take the opportunity to do some bike maintenance.  But thanks for the suggestion!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26208 on: 03 December, 2023, 09:56:29 pm »
No. No I have not.

Tandem Club morning ride then Christmas lunch today. Stuffs happening yesterday meant I couldn't put the roff rack on the car (it's a two person lift), so after breakfast this morning my Young Lady and I nipped to the SEECRIT bunker. Running slightly late we lifted the rack into position then wheeled the Pino round. Arse, back tyre was flat and not enough time to change it.

We returned to my flat where I took the back wheel in for fixing. Huge great hole, such as caused by an escaping inner tube event, plus a tear in the outer. It wasn't like that when we last rode, so must have got damaged sometime on the previous ride and finally succumbed. Either that or the mice have got a thing for rubber.

Drove to lunch later.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #26209 on: 06 December, 2023, 02:34:19 pm »
My favourite Aussie had tix for the viewing platform on level 58 of 22 Bishopsgate, which affords 300° views of London from a height greater than that of the viewing platform of The Shard (pictured elsewhere).
And admission is free  :thumbsup:.
It seemed a bit odd to be looking down on The Gherkin, The Cheesegrater and The Nat West Tower et al. All of which are a stones throw away.
Of the photos I took, this is probably the best, given that I was struggling with reflections and shooting contre jour.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #26210 on: 06 December, 2023, 04:58:50 pm »
My favourite Aussie had tix for the viewing platform on level 58 of 22 Bishopsgate, which affords 300° views of London from a height greater than that of the viewing platform of The Shard (pictured elsewhere).
And admission is free  :thumbsup:.
It seemed a bit odd looking down on The Gherkin, The Cheesegrater and The Nat West Tower et al.
Of the photos I took, this is probably the best, given that I was struggling with reflections and shooting contre jour.

I was in London on Monday this week this week and went up to The Lookout on the 50th floor of 8 Bishopsgate . . .  the potential view was pretty good, but low-cloud and rain rather restricted it and taking photographs didn't work . . . as you say looking down on some of the (previously) tallest buildings was interesting.  The most interesting things to me were to see the Bank of England which is an open square building and the whole of Finsbury Circus.

My day finished at St Pancras to see the amazing "book-shelf Christmas tree" they have this year (and managing to spend £88  ::-) in the Champagne Bar with my daughter - one beer 'cos I got there early, 2 glasses of the rose champagne, a Croque Madame and beetroot and kale salad)

« Reply #26211 on: 06 December, 2023, 05:06:26 pm »
Yes, a lovely day for circumnavigating Canvey Island. Had a spell of ripping valves out of the inner tubes - hopefully finally fixed now mid ride with a new 700 x 2.4inch "Wicked Will" tyre. Superb service from Les's Cycles supplying all I needed straight off the shelf. 

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #26212 on: 06 December, 2023, 05:21:28 pm »
Yes, a lovely day for circumnavigating Canvey Island. Had a spell of ripping valves out of the inner tubes - hopefully finally fixed now mid ride with a new 700 x 2.4inch "Wicked Will" tyre. Superb service from Les's Cycles supplying all I needed straight off the shelf. 

Nice pics of lands that I am fond of.

« Reply #26213 on: 06 December, 2023, 06:21:43 pm »
Thanks Jurek. Any idea what the seawall work is all about?
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #26214 on: 06 December, 2023, 08:57:00 pm »
Pottered through maidenhead Riverside and over the closed to moter vehicles Cookham bridge to borune end where I stopped for lunch at a cafe. After a nice ham and mushroom omelette 😋  I went out to the trike and found a right front puncture. After fixing it I rode towards Woburn green, turning right up wash hill and across to Burnham village. From there south to pick up ncn61 along the jubilee river back to Slough. Approx 23 miles  :)
the slower you go the more you see

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #26215 on: 06 December, 2023, 09:12:35 pm »
Thanks Jurek. Any idea what the seawall work is all about?

Found this - https://consult.environment-agency.gov.uk/east-anglia-c-e/canvey-southern-shoreline-project/ - and others via google.

As a child I spent a week in a holiday caravan on Canvey Island. That was before the 1953 floods. I guess it's changed a bit since then  :)

« Reply #26216 on: 06 December, 2023, 09:53:53 pm »
Dear Offcumden,

Some bits have changed an immense amount - others (the best bit) are pretty much as it was way back then. The skyline has changed for a lifetime, now mechanical giraffes display their prowess at the Shell Haven Container Port (DP World), ironically on the side that has changed the most, the skyline is dominated by Hadleigh Castle and hopefully will remain unchanged for my lifetime (I want my ashes scattered there when the time comes).

Jef

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26217 on: 06 December, 2023, 10:10:38 pm »

Watch out! A girl with blond pigtails is nicking your bike!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #26218 on: 06 December, 2023, 10:22:21 pm »
A short ride to the local tip/recycling centre.  The required me to get the trailer out of the loft & carefully strap an old shower tray & a clothes maiden into the plastic box.   The trailer is just narrow enough to avoid the plastic pole things that Liverpool City Council has used to segregate some of its cycle paths from motorised traffic. It's a pity though that in several places the paths were blocked by large piles of leaves & other road skog that had been swept up & dumped there.

I was going to wear my old Ground Effect winter tights, but the elastic waist appears to have died & I was displaying far too much builders bum to be modest.  Had to change into the bib longs.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26219 on: 06 December, 2023, 11:12:24 pm »
London Gateway container port is built over the former Shell Haven site, to be pedantic.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #26220 on: 06 December, 2023, 11:38:33 pm »
Shell Haven is the name of the place. To be correctly pedantic. It was there long before the Shell Oil Company was even dreamt of, let alone built a refinery there for its waterfront access.  :thumbsup:

Quote from Wikipedia... "Shell Haven appears on the 1596 edition of Saxton's Map 'Essexiae Comitat' Nova vera ac absaluta descriptio' It was possibly mentioned earlier.[1] Shell Haven was mentioned in Samuel Pepys' Diary on 10 June 1667.[2]"

Also, even more importantly, I worked at the site between the ages of 20 and 41. They don't make jobs like that anymore.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #26221 on: 07 December, 2023, 07:38:55 am »
Shell Haven is the name of the place. To be correctly pedantic. It was there long before the Shell Oil Company was even dreamt of, let alone built a refinery there for its waterfront access.  :thumbsup:

Quote from Wikipedia... "Shell Haven appears on the 1596 edition of Saxton's Map 'Essexiae Comitat' Nova vera ac absaluta descriptio' It was possibly mentioned earlier.[1] Shell Haven was mentioned in Samuel Pepys' Diary on 10 June 1667.[2]"

Also, even more importantly, I worked at the site between the ages of 20 and 41. They don't make jobs like that anymore.

Having been to school in Essex (the western side) I recall doing some "history of the county" projects and the learning of the existence of Shell Haven long before oil was discovered.

« Reply #26222 on: 07 December, 2023, 09:53:26 am »
I like this thread.

Oil was discovered by the Chinese in 600BC

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26223 on: 07 December, 2023, 11:29:26 am »

I helped build London Gateway over a decade ago and ongoing, at intervals. It is London Gateway port now. https://www.dpworld.com/london-gateway/port
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #26224 on: 07 December, 2023, 04:58:05 pm »

I helped build London Gateway over a decade ago and ongoing, at intervals. It is London Gateway port now. https://www.dpworld.com/london-gateway/port

All agreed, and the place at which it is built, is Shell Haven.

https://getoutside.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/local/shell-haven-thurrock