Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3977168 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #16175 on: 12 January, 2014, 06:23:30 pm »
Again yes but not on the bike.

Those are damn big chickens, you sure the station is not leaking?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Ruth

« Reply #16176 on: 12 January, 2014, 06:29:07 pm »
Did we ride past there on the way to the pub mcshroom?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #16177 on: 12 January, 2014, 06:33:03 pm »
Well it is downwind

No we didn't.We cycled into St Bees village from the south, so didn't actually go on the headland at all. This is the far side of the headland you could see on the other side of the valley to the village.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruth

« Reply #16178 on: 12 January, 2014, 06:38:53 pm »
Well it is downwind

No we didn't.We cycled into St Bees village from the south, so didn't actually go on the headland at all. This is the far side of the headland you could see on the other side of the valley to the village.

Aha!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16179 on: 12 January, 2014, 07:30:38 pm »
I had arranged to meet Jane in Wickford, off the 9.34 from Lpoo St. The problem for me was that there were no trains from Southend today, so I had an extra 11 miles each way on top of whatever it was we rode.

The machine on the roof told me that the temperature was 2°C when I left home just after 8 am. There was clearly some ground frost and car frost, which became more obvious the further inland that I went. Once I was on the cyclepath beside the A127, and outside the Southend borough, there were proper icy patches. When I reached the right turn to Dawes Heath Road I greeted two mountain cyclists who had just picked themselves up off the floor. I dismounted, almost fell over and walked for about a quarter of a mile until I deemed that it was safe to cycle again. There were no further ice related incidents before Wickford.

As I was riding along the A129 in the Rawreth area a shadow of a cyclist caught up with me.

"Good morning!" said I, without looking round.

"Good morning!" replied a voice that I recognised but couldn't put a name to. The cyclist pulled alongside me and I recognised his face as well, but still couldn't think of an appropriate name. All I knew was that he was part of the SEG (SE Group of the Essex CTC) who meet every Sunday in Wickford. He told me that today they were riding to elevenses at Mundon (the Round Bush, where Jane risked life and limb on one occasion when she nicked one of Teethgrinder's chips) before retiring to lunch at the Nag's Head, Ramsden Heath, where Del and I wandered round with our shoes off after an intimate encounter with the River Wid. Eftsoons his conversation dropt he and sped off into Wickford. I was not that far behind him and arrived in plenty of time to buy coffee before Jane's train arrived.

Jane arrived to time and almost escaped me as I had nipped into the station to use the loo and she was outside when I returned. We set off up Brock Hill, taking care not to get involved with any icy patches, when the SEG went past me but couldn't catch Jane. They convened at the top, we turned right into South Hanningfield Road, descended towards the Rettendon Bell and then Jane had that sinking feeling as the air inside her front tyre made a thoroughly successful bit for freedom. We were just getting to the interesting bit when who should arrive from the east but a Wise Man in the form of Delthebike. We found the flint and discarded it somewhere in the grass. I reminded Jane that Jurek collected those and she should have kept it for him. After a while all was whole again and Jane and I climbed the hill towards East Hanningfield and Del went in search of the SEG.

It was all sweet and uneventful for quite some time as we enjoyed the beautiful sunshine and graunched our way up the hill towards Danbury, an ascent made somewhat harder for me because I could feel that the gear-changing thin gummy of my Rohloff hub had become sluggish due to frayed cables. This happened once before, about 10000 miles ago, and I fixed it. It clearly needs doing again. A group of cyclists was assembled at Eves Corner and I enquired of them the state of North Hill. "Not too bad," came the reply, "but it's a bit icy the other side of the canal." Armed with this knowledge I was not unduly cautious on the descent, notching up a moderate 33 mph. There was good coffee and incomparable flapjack when we arrived at Paper Mill Lock, the water of which was not as high as I have seen it in the past.

Off we went again, with the sun still shining, towards Terling. Just as we were heading for this bend Jane once again had that sinking feeling. However, as we approached there was a Discussion going on. A man in a car was talking to another man and it seemed that the subject of their discussion was whether or not the second man and his two young daughters, whom I estimated were both considerably less than 7 years old, should be allowed to ride their petrol-driven quad bikes on the concrete area, quite a bit of which was being used to store sugar beet. Once the discussion was over the man and his daughters drove their quad bikes along the road and disappeared.

Meanwhile, Jane was Jureking again. We found the hole in the tube, I almost lacerated my finger tip when I found the flint that was poking through the outer, and we set to with Jane's new Lezyne pump, which in my view is a triumph of style over functionality. I had been pumping steadily for a minute or two when Jane reached down and gave an experimental squeeze to the turgid tube that was the object of our mutual desire. "Oh, that feels good!"* exclaimed Jane, clearly satisfied with the tumescence that I had achieved. Imagine our frustration when, on reaching a 100psi climax, the entire valve inner shot out and released the pent-up contents of the tyre with a loud deflationary hiss. I found the pliers on my Swiss army knife, returned Jane's device to its proper place, and finished the job with my Topeak Road Morph.

Off we went again, but now the sun was disappearing behind clouds that, to be fair, had been forecast. We thought about the Pig an Whistle but carried on into Writtle where the Rose and Crown was still serving. I opted for chicken fajitas and a pint of Adnams (only my third pint of 2014) whereas Jane had mussels and blackcurrant cordial. We decided that as we were becoming a little short of time and Jane was off out for a meal in the evening, we would make for Shenfield station instead of Wickford and Jane caught a train just after 4pm. I toyed for a nanosecond with riding home from Shenfield, but since I had already done over 50 miles and that would add another 22 or so, I too caught a train which terminated at Wickford and I rode home from there through increasingly irritating drizzle.

I was just climbing the short, none-too-steep ascent up form Priory Park when a pedestrian accosted me testily.

"If you are going to ride on the pavement at least turn your light out!"

Many thanks to Jane for a lovely day out. When my belly reduction campaign has had a little more success I might average a bit more than 9mph. My total for the day: 63.14 miles.

*Yes, she really did say that. My innuendometer went off the scale.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16180 on: 12 January, 2014, 08:51:25 pm »
Condor commuter= more upright position? I reckon I've done a couple or three thousand miles on mine with no trouble so far. As we suspected, we have different shaped posteriors.

Most likely to be bum-related. The Condor gives HK a similar position to riding the hoods on her road bikes, within a couple of centimetres I reckon.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16181 on: 12 January, 2014, 09:31:03 pm »
We went out on the first Chorlton Wander 2014 today.
Eleven of us made the start but a group of three dropped out after one of them fell on ice after about a mile.
No injury to the rider but it seemed that the RD hanger had bent and the bike wasn't in good enough shape to carry on.

We went out through our usual lanes around Ashley and Mobberley into quite a bracing headwind. That's "bracing" in an Artic kind of sense. It probably wasn't that cold but it's not what we're used to this Winter.
After a brief stop at the alpaca farm near the Plough and Flail, we went off-road briefly before the stop for lunch at the Rifleman's Arms in Wilmslow.
The food and coffee were good (scampi and chips for me followed by a latte) and the service was much quicker than on my last visit there, as it should have been since there were only 4 other people eating.
The main disappointment was the cold draught at about head-height when we were sat down. As we were leaving we discovered that it was caused by an intake fan (yes, blowing cold, outside air into the pub) presumably to stop the coal fire gassing us all to deth  ::-)
We returned by going anti-clockwise around the airport then down Styal Road.
Back in Chorlton CH, Helen and I went to Bar for a low alcohol Erdinger each (to go with the Beck's Blue that I had in Wilmslow).
It was an excellent day out and the weather, ice aside, was rather nice.
We did 31 miles.

ETA: I went on the Dirty Disco since the Rohloff bike had a flat front tyre; I only noticed it as I was taking the bike outside.
So much for my Jureking prowess  :-[

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16182 on: 12 January, 2014, 11:40:34 pm »
Tandem Club ride starting at Cuckfield. I rode down to the start in "empty to depot" mode, being wary of frozen run off on the roads. Made good time, getti ng passed by Russell OTP (and Mrs. Russell) in their motor en route. Picked up my stoker, a 14(?) year old lad, at Cuckfield and we went off, gently, on our way. Clear skies gave way to cloud but it stayed dry. No morning coffee but excellent HEC at Thee Pubbe.  Thee Pubbe also had a selection of books, ranging from "The Book of Knowledge" (a 1920's encyclopedia "Mount Everest has not yet been climbed"), misc classics, a Rudyard Kipling compilation, misc cookery books, LOTR and, right next to that, Fifty Shades of Grey.

Grey and trying to drizzle in the afternoon, off past Chailey, then through Ditchling, Hurstpierpoint, Ansty. About a mile from the finish I got a puncture in the front wheel. We sent most people on to the cafe for CAIK and quickly fixed it. My stoker, it has to be said, did a fair amount of standing around. When this was pointed out he argued that the puncture was in my end of the bike.  To the cafe with the others then rode back. 91 km for the day.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #16183 on: 13 January, 2014, 09:14:33 am »
Managed a 20km loop from home last night, in between domesticity. First ride not on fixed for a few weeks. Felt most odd being able to freewheel. Nice to be out even though it was wet and murky.
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #16184 on: 13 January, 2014, 09:24:07 am »
"Oh, that feels good!"* exclaimed Jane
Apologies, all.  I should have known better.  I have known Wow long enough to realise there are certain key words that are liable to release an endless stream of innuendo, and should be skilled enough to avoid their use in certain contexts.

essexian

« Reply #16185 on: 13 January, 2014, 02:12:38 pm »
Oh boy that was nasty!

Just went out for the first time on my new bike: a Ridley XBow brought in the Wiggle Sale..... did I "need" a CX bike....well as N=N+1 as we all know, of course I did.   ;D

Anyway, things I like about the bike.... it has 105 so the changing is very prompt unlike the Sora I have on my road bike and the brakes are super sharp, which isnice. Bad things: bad toe overlap on the front wheel, while the tyres are very, very draggy.

I found riding the bike hard work despite it being a 48/34 chainring with a 11-28 back thingy. So much so, that I had to stop after two miles as I was so breathless and when I got home, I had my worse ever low blood pressure attack: it was so bad I thought I was going to pass out  :facepalm:

It does show that bikes can make such a difference to distance etc as on Saturday I did ten times the distance achieved today at twice the speed with little or no problems. I suppose I will get used to the new bike but its going to take some time.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #16186 on: 13 January, 2014, 07:47:05 pm »
First meaningful ride since Easter Arrow 2012; 101.6km in sun, wind, rain, wind, hail, wind and a knee-deep flood on the Somerset levels. Hard work but now I have that nice warm glow  :)

The journey to St Quentin-en-Yvelines has begun.
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #16187 on: 13 January, 2014, 08:12:25 pm »
A few miles into town for a meeting.

Boy-oh-boy did my nether regions hurt - yesterday's 40 miles were the first in too long! Ow.

« Reply #16188 on: 13 January, 2014, 08:14:55 pm »
Quads are aching today. Seat too low on road bike praps.

« Reply #16189 on: 13 January, 2014, 11:15:56 pm »
A quick-ish cold and wet 23 miler on my newly aquired Galaxy. Had to stop for a banana of course.

But might dump the Brooks.
Nothing left to prove. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #16190 on: 14 January, 2014, 06:29:48 pm »
That's a well-used Brooks. Did it come with the bike?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #16191 on: 14 January, 2014, 09:23:18 pm »
That's a well-used Brooks. Did it come with the bike?
It is isn't it.  Yes came with the bike.
Thing is it's really comfy but  I think it will have to go as I get the old Perinium pressure thing  on it. I have the same problem with my newish Brooks. I think they are better suited to an upright riding position. :-\

« Reply #16192 on: 14 January, 2014, 09:43:12 pm »
I would get the spirit level out before you give up. The saddle looks a bit nose up on the photo.

« Reply #16193 on: 14 January, 2014, 11:09:12 pm »
I would get the spirit level out before you give up. The saddle looks a bit nose up on the photo.
Agree. I've been out on it again today with the nose lowered a bit but still felt it and sliding forward. Will try it again though.
A lot of people say to us it nose up but I can't see that working. Not in my case anyway as I do tend to ride on the drops now and again.

« Reply #16194 on: 16 January, 2014, 07:00:11 am »
Had a customer meeting at Ebww Vale yesterday, so took the bike. Following input from Roger Merriman on Bike Radar, took this route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/345660095

The ride up to Llangynidr was great - in the daylight, great views, wind sort of behind me. Found myself going faster than I realised on the descent into the town - wet brakes and wind behind me!

I'm not sure my choice of road from Govilon to Blaenavon was right - it ended up being the very narrow/rough road over the top of the hill. This section was, of course, in the dark and rain with a reasonable headwind. It was a bit of a relief once I picked up Abergavenny Road - perhaps I should have taken this road anyway, although it had pretty fast traffic on it, so in retrospect I'm happy with the goat track!

Total distance 35 mile with an average of 12mph - not very fast, but had a few naviguessing moments in the dark, and the downhills were slow, due to dark and strong winds. Oh, and it rained the entire time. Receptionist at the hotel was a bit surprised when I splodged my way in, muttering "It's wet out there".   :)

Definitely worth the effort...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #16195 on: 16 January, 2014, 12:38:33 pm »
Not yet, but now that my kidneys have stopped complaining (for now, at least) I'm minded to head out for a spin shortly ... before it rains again.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #16196 on: 16 January, 2014, 03:05:03 pm »
I have! First ride of 2014 (other than indoors). Almost spring-like, apart from the wind. Just an hour's worth, but fun!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #16197 on: 16 January, 2014, 07:10:58 pm »
I'm managing between 4 and 16 miles per day at the moment (having a bit of a break after last year's 24 miles per day for 11 months before lurgy put paid to my target). I'm finding it very cold and grotty out and knowing that I own a velomobile which would keep me warm and dry (but that it's on the continent) does not encourage me! However, it'll soon be summer...

Today I rode with Uncle James to Manningtree for some food. The roads round our way are incredibly mucky and it looks like they're trying to harvest the rest of the sugar beet (the fields were too waterlogged to finish the job some weeks ago) so the roads will be even worse after that!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #16198 on: 16 January, 2014, 07:18:53 pm »
Been out for 23mile to test the Brooks after a bit more fettling.
Not successful. Brooks removed this afternoon and Charge Spoon fitted.

« Reply #16199 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:24:42 pm »
Three of us went out for a 23 mile ride up Styal Road, round by Woodford and home via Cheadle and Didsbury with a stop at the Gateway for a drink (Becks Blue with a splash of lemonade for me although I did have a sip of DaveL's beer; it was one of Beartown Brewery's and it was very nice but I can't remember what it was and it's not on their web-site).
It seemed like hard work tonight; there was certainly a head-wind as we went up Styal Road but it seemed even harder than that.
I think I'll check the rear brake tomorrow; the wheel doesn't seem to spin very freely.
I hope it's that.