Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2433308 times)

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22025 on: August 20, 2018, 03:50:17 pm »
Quite good fun 80 km w. El Prez & our ex-treasurer, both on ebikes. They yammered away ceaselessly like a couple of petrol-heads about battery capacity, motor power & squit knows what else so I decided that after groaning up the first summit in their wake I would beat them over all the rest, and did.  After coffee I left them at 44k & headed home for lunch. I seemed to have lots of energy to spare, maybe because I was ignoring cardiologist's limits and riding by the way I felt.  In any case I didn't go outside them by more than 5%, which is probably half of his CYA margin.

Once home I reset the max in my stats program to remove most of the red bits from the heart-rate plot. Looks good that way.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #22026 on: August 21, 2018, 05:59:44 pm »
A Monday Microadventure. Nine intrepid adventurers from ACB made their collective and individual way to a campsite overlooking the Wye, just north of Chepstow and across the river from Tintern, where we enjoyed an evening of bikes, fire, food, music, chat, beer and in some cases very potent cider, ending with tents or in one case a bivvy. Most left early this morning to their places of penal servitude or other employment, Paul and I enjoyed a leisurely return journey incorporating coffee in Chepstow, which was very pleasant but did not make Fern Hill any shorter! Are we going to do it again? Yes! Where? Maybe here or perhaps there...
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #22027 on: August 21, 2018, 06:22:48 pm »
I have started to potter up to milldenhall and am having drink in near  bricket wood station. I will hopefully  bivvi north of wheathamstead this evening   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #22028 on: August 21, 2018, 07:43:31 pm »

« Reply #22029 on: August 21, 2018, 08:17:56 pm »
One of my favourite summer rides along one of my favourite stretches of my favourite river - offroad along the Tees from Low Connie to High Connie. Utterly gorgeous at high summer, with the crops and foliage as high as an elephant's eye.

Maybe even better than the Pingus' ride!

« Reply #22030 on: August 23, 2018, 04:41:51 pm »
Just arrived at milldenhall   ::-) ..one blowout!, one puncture, and I need a tandem rear cable.  I hope to get some friction bar end shifters at the  rally  and see if I can find out why the drive wheel spokes are twanging despite being well tensioned . :)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #22031 on: August 24, 2018, 01:28:22 pm »
Wanted to do a decent long one, turned back after 20k when I realised that I wasn't enjoying it at all. Blustery headwind and flurries of rain will do that.  Bleh.

« Reply #22032 on: August 24, 2018, 09:06:33 pm »
I rode from Victoria to Paddington. I should be back in this thread tomorrow...

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

« Reply #22033 on: August 25, 2018, 04:25:57 pm »
Did about 30 miles.  Ground up Dragon Hill Road in 39 x 25 and then the bike tried very hard to kill me coming down the other side, when the front tyre suffered a rapid deflation at about 35mph on a 1 in 7 gradient with a dead stop (crossroads) coming up. I braked as hard as I dared with the rear and eventually shuddered to a halt before the stop line.   Turned out the tube had chafed on the edge of the rim tape and decided to pick the worst possible moment to split - or hard braking caused it to squirm.  I swore a lot.  The tyre stayed on the rim, thankfully.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22034 on: August 25, 2018, 05:00:48 pm »
159.5km today on the Mildenhall 100 Audax and riding to/from.  Didn't drink anywhere near enough for some reason, I'm normally pretty good with that. Now pooped!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #22035 on: August 26, 2018, 03:43:16 pm »
80k circuit laid on by a local club. Familiar roads, lots of false flats, a few lumps, a couple of good views whereof:

« Reply #22036 on: August 26, 2018, 04:27:19 pm »
Nope. Saving it for tomorrow when it's a bit less biblical out there.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #22037 on: August 26, 2018, 04:37:12 pm »
Plagues of frogs, lice, firstborn-snuffing etc.?

« Reply #22038 on: August 26, 2018, 05:33:56 pm »
Plagues of frogs, lice, firstborn-snuffing etc.?

All of the above.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22039 on: August 26, 2018, 05:59:53 pm »
No, at least not on the bike. But I did run up a big hill on a nice muddy path. I'm not sure what prompted me to this, maybe it was the rain. ::-)
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #22040 on: August 26, 2018, 06:29:56 pm »
Tested a 200k route in a variety of rain. Thankfully only really heavy twice. Great roads although the surface between Aberfoyle and Stronachlachar is truly shocking (a sportive/charity run diverted from it after risk assessment) and great cafes. 

« Reply #22041 on: August 26, 2018, 10:34:58 pm »
Yesterday, a cyclepath pootle from Exeter to Exmouth, then a ferry across the river before some lumpy green lanes to Belstone. Saw an audax control, considered the merits of a gravel bike at length.
Pictures in a twitter thread https://twitter.com/between_beyond/status/1033436425553891328?s=19

Today, my enthusiam for a long, loaded, wet ride across Devon / Somerset waned. So i took a train and just crossed Exmoor. Pretty bleak, but a nice break. Pictures and more detail at https://twitter.com/between_beyond/status/1033790386894987275?s=19

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #22042 on: August 26, 2018, 10:53:04 pm »
Yesterday, a cyclepath pootle from Exeter to Exmouth, then a ferry across the river before some lumpy green lanes to Belstone. Saw an audax control, considered the merits of a gravel bike at length.
Pictures in a twitter thread https://twitter.com/between_beyond/status/1033436425553891328?s=19

Today, my enthusiam for a long, loaded, wet ride across Devon / Somerset waned. So i took a train and just crossed Exmoor. Pretty bleak, but a nice break. Pictures and more detail at https://twitter.com/between_beyond/status/1033790386894987275?s=19

Looking forward to some similar routes on the way down towards Totnes this week.
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

« Reply #22043 on: August 27, 2018, 02:31:42 pm »
Out on a hilly circuit today. Steepest are only 17% but gives a good workout over a couple of hours in nice lanes.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22044 on: August 27, 2018, 04:23:41 pm »
Shortish huff n puff around the local chevrons.  Felt rather cold most of the way.  Must start wearing more autumnal gear.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

« Reply #22045 on: August 29, 2018, 08:50:54 pm »
Usual 30 mile Weds night thrash, hilly this week.  Two of us made a pact to take touring bikes (with front and rear racks).  We were outpacing the carbon boys after the halfway point.  Snap Hill is best on a tourer - smoooooth, and usually faster than a light racer.  Not a record-breaking night but over 50mph.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

« Reply #22046 on: August 29, 2018, 10:07:55 pm »
Hope you have fun jiberjaber.

I was running out of battery / beer before getting here after rides.

Monday I was feeling tired and not buoyed by drizzle had a deliberately slow day with lots of taking pictures. Still 43 pretty lumpy km. Pictures here https://twitter.com/between_beyond/status/1034164324477140993?s=21

Tuesday, last day of my break, was 55km, minimising chevrons with a train reservation in Taunton. Another good day out, even if the trains didn’t do what they said on the tickets. https://twitter.com/between_beyond/status/1034468474825986049?s=21

Once I’ve sorted camera pictures (twitter was just from my phone) I’ll do a ride report.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22047 on: August 30, 2018, 10:48:09 am »
WNPR short and whizzy ending up in a very small pub very near home.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #22048 on: August 30, 2018, 06:26:50 pm »
A rare outing for me!

Jan and I returned from our prom trip on the 9.34 train rom Lpoo St, and it cost us £3.30 each on the OBRC! We hadn't been home very long and I was off out again, on a train to Southminster. After about 5 miles cycling I met Jane and we quickly ensconced ourselves in a pub and and a good lunch of baguetty-things. Thereafter we cycled into Burnham and imbibed more alcoholic beverages whilst waiting for the ferry. It turned up when we phoned him, and then cycled from Wallasea Island to Rochford. We took Rebels Lane to the sea front and then worked our way back to Southend Vic where Jane caught her train back to London.

28 miles, the longest ride I've done for ages. That was good, but it was lovely to see Jane again.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #22049 on: September 01, 2018, 08:38:42 am »
Yesterday, very satisfying 157 km, Audaxish profile, at a decent speed. Log entry:

Heavy overcast. Mutzig pizza. Déviations Rumersheim-Truchtersheim & before Quatz.  Fringale for 10k AFTER lunch: interesting thing was that quads HURT until Scharrach, then sudden warm feeling in legs & OK thereafter. Rain after Mommenheim on return leg. Saw sun at 152k. Nowt else of note.