Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2101835 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22350 on: February 28, 2019, 12:03:08 am »
Too ironic! But good that the rest was fabulous.

Is there an image there? I see a lot of white space with a grey no entry sign in the middle. Trying a different browser, I just see the text.  ???

Weird. My fault, probably - working now?

Socks

• FFCT rally, France 2012
« Reply #22351 on: February 28, 2019, 01:59:54 pm »
I couldn't get out on the bike earlier in the week to enjoy the sunshine because of work / family commitments, so a little 30 mile circuit today.  Still mild for February with no discernible wind, but increasingly misty so I was starting to get damp by the time I got home.   Also a chance to test out my new gear changers, the twist grips that I had been using on this bike were quite old and losing their 'spring', so swapped to some new rapidfire type thingies.  They seem to work well, even on the front where there is a big difference between the two chainrings so it was quite hard to change back up onto the big ring with the twist grip.  Coffee and biscuits at the river bank in Durham City, my favourite picnic spot with views of the cathedral and castle.

« Reply #22353 on: March 02, 2019, 03:39:19 pm »
Tried to, but my derailleur broke. ::-)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #22354 on: March 02, 2019, 04:45:48 pm »
25km mostly uphill, cafe stop, 25km mostly back down the same hill, worked a treat.
2017 - R500 ✅ | 2018 - R1000 ✅ | 2019 - ?

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #22355 on: March 02, 2019, 05:46:22 pm »
Went for a trundle round the lanes to the South West of York. Out through Healaugh and Wighill to Tadcaster, then on round Bolton Percy, Appleton Roebuck, Acaster Selby and Acaster Malbis, back into York through Bishopthorpe. About 41km in (mostly) the sun with a bit of a breeze blowing as well.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional Circuit Commissaire
British Cycling Ride Leader

« Reply #22356 on: March 02, 2019, 06:55:19 pm »
29 miles today out to Cookham costa with jonathen notp. He is getting slower each time I ride with him it seems. His average speed is down to 4 mph now.  He still seems to enjoy himself so alls good  ☺
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #22357 on: March 02, 2019, 07:34:31 pm »
29 miles today out to Cookham costa with jonathen notp. He is getting slower each time I ride with him it seems. His average speed is down to 4 mph now.  He still seems to enjoy himself so alls good  ☺

It's better than walking  :thumbsup:
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #22358 on: March 03, 2019, 12:25:01 pm »
Short 32km wet and windy blast this morning, got blown about quite a bit tbh,  lucky the roads were quiet. I reckon I must be daft, what do you think?

« Reply #22359 on: March 03, 2019, 01:26:19 pm »
Club ride in the wind. We managed a headwind in both directions. :facepalm: Still, nothing on the bike broke today (though I'd forgotten what a heavy beast the Pinnacle is; just as well it was a flat route).

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #22360 on: March 03, 2019, 08:23:15 pm »
Type 2 fun ride out with the club, 74km with some testing hills and wet and wild weather. Good ride!

« Reply #22361 on: March 06, 2019, 03:45:52 pm »
Some 6 of us on a shorter and very blustery 28 mile roundabout visit to enormous portions of calories. It started raining the moment we got back home. Travel broadens the stomach.

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #22362 on: March 06, 2019, 08:45:29 pm »
Finally, 9 months after moving and supposedly taking early retirement, I've managed to coordinate my diary so that I'm not busy doing other stuff, to get out with the local CTC group.  A nice 33 miles around and through the Goodwood Estate and other bits.  The longest bit of riding I've done all year.  And only a few drops of rain.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #22363 on: March 07, 2019, 09:25:09 am »
98k yesterday. Headed for a nice little forest road about 50k from here that climbs up to a local tourist trap called La Petite Pierre. Like an eejit, though, I went via the lumpiest route I could find, so that when I reached the nice little road I thought 'not today' and went on to lunch - nice little road incorporates a couple of bloody steep climbs and my legs were already hurting.  Quite a nice ride home thereafter, with a powerful SSW wind pushing me, only marred by my 4th puncture in a month - fed up with that.  There was lots of wood on the roads, twigs and tree-removal detritus after the gales of last weekend, and also a lot of glass on our local cycle track - bottles tossed from cars, etc. I'm seriously thinking about going tubeless.

Lots of storks & buzzards about, also saw a trio of red kites cruising quite low and close. Nice to see.
Tout à gauche sur le plat

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #22364 on: March 08, 2019, 02:39:40 pm »
Cheeky lunchtime trip around as many parts of Richmond Park as possible with a friend. Was a bit windy!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • 3x Brimstone ancien 3x Pendle/Tan Hill DNF
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #22365 on: March 09, 2019, 04:56:54 pm »
Saw the weather forecast was for WIND and so hatched a cunning plan, of riding along little lanes in the lee of the Berkshire Downs as far west as possible.  Not only did this work pretty well, it was a scenic delight, especially around West Woodhay.  Our roads might be falling to pieces but what sits between them is still pretty good.  Joined the Kennett Valley Run route at Burbage, where I began to run out of hedge cover.  My early start meant I was ahead of the event.

I'm not sure whether other people are like me, but on Audax events I do regularly I often look at turns and wonder where they go.  Today I had the chance and turned in Market Lavington to do Lavington Hill, which was helped considerably by a tailwind.  A dog walker looked at me in the way one might observe an escaped prisoner.  At the top, in the full force of the wind it was quite hard to hold the front wheel straight and I did quite a bit of the descent in the little ring.  Then it was mostly a tailwind blast home.  I found a cafe in Tidworth (on the road up to Tesco) which did a nice cheese and ham panini.  Home in time to watch the Eurosport coverage of Strade Bianchi.  Just the longest ride of the year at 115 miles.  My cunning plan turned out quite well.
Eddington Numbers 122 (imperial), 167 (metric) 511 (furlongs)  110 (nautical miles)

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #22366 on: March 09, 2019, 09:13:57 pm »
Came home a day early in anticipation of the already muddy ALC meet turning a bit Glastonbury, with heavy rain forecast for most of the night.

A ride of three halves:  Annoying crosswind until I'd escaped Alcester, at which point the annoying close passes from Wankpanzers became more of an issue.  I opted to avoid the worst of them by bailing to the Sustrans route before Redditch, which was relatively quiet, and lacked the navigation issues and cloud of midges I experienced on the way down.  After that it turned into the boring uphill slog of my regular rides, which seemed to take forever.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #22367 on: March 11, 2019, 09:15:25 pm »
I didn't get out yesterday for various reasons, some linked to family and others to humid precipitation. Today it was much nicer and so I insisted a bit (with 12 days to go before the first club outing and a total lack of road miles kilometers. NMF!)
So a very good ride was had: 58kms in 3.5 hours so not at all fast but 840m of climbing according to Open Runner. I chose to head for the hills with some particularly steep forestry roads (tarmac, not dirt all the same).

Only downside. My handlebars creak now. Still they came with the frame which was free and they must be over 30 years old so they don't owe me anything. Need to change them next weekend         

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #22368 on: March 12, 2019, 04:18:19 pm »
Brutal wind, cold, occasional sun, arboreal debris all over, good coffee, so-so sandwich, arse-pummeling roads, stiff Ti bike instead of comfy Trek.  74k, knackered.
Tout à gauche sur le plat

« Reply #22369 on: March 13, 2019, 09:45:42 pm »
One of my favourite loops* - Hamsterley, Shull Bank to above Weardale and back along Howlea Lane, Morley, High Lands and Low Lands (no Cockfield Fell tonight) back to Darlo.

Early finishes are great. As is getting a train to Bish to avoid the rush hour traffic. Getting a train 13 miles north-west into a howling nor'westerly didn't hurt, either. The lanes round there are gorgeous, like the proper hills farther west in miniature.

* I reckon it's about five years since I last rode it, mind.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #22370 on: March 15, 2019, 11:07:07 am »
Tried to but failed...
Climbed (grovelled) up into the Peaks against a little headbreeze but got stopped in tracks and almost blown over several times...
Clocked said breeze at 66kph plus strong gusts.
Discretion being the better part of valour, came home tout suite.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #22371 on: March 15, 2019, 08:07:05 pm »
commute today, 20km tailwind, 20km headwind, full on! I'm bushed. :facepalm:

« Reply #22372 on: March 17, 2019, 05:28:55 pm »
40 miles outing in very blustery wind with black threatening clouds interspersed with dazzling blue skies. One heavy rain session and oftimes cold. Bridge works resulted in a significant detour along a busy main road and all subsequentl  internal dining places were taken bah. Otherwise lovely ride.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #22373 on: March 17, 2019, 06:33:09 pm »
30 mile potter "2o with jonathen notp"to moss end garden village. Jonathan managed 4.4 ave speed and we had a good ride. A ham and mushroom omelette each and tea and chocolate and Guinness cAke was enjoyed before we pottered homeward getting a few drops of rain on the way   :)
the slower you go the more you see

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
« Reply #22374 on: March 18, 2019, 05:13:59 pm »
Mrs M couldn't drive herself to the gym this morning (new car - it's an automatic - don't ask  :facepalm: ) so I took her and the bike, and went for a bit of proper exercise, which of course included a decent cup of coffee and a jam doughnut, before collecting her sweaty self a bit later.
Hardly a record breaking ride, but the furthest I've ridden since last May, all of...... 28k
Bloody freezing, and no, the wind hadn't dropped as much as I'd expected.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.