Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2264052 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22725 on: November 05, 2019, 05:38:01 pm »
First pure leisure ride in months. I was going to try and join the North Brum CTC's Tuesday slow ride, but I was a couple of minutes late to the meeting point, and the rain meant that either the group set off sharpish, or alternately that nobody else fancied heading out today. I decided to head for the Warwickshire lanes, and ended up riding a loop I'd not done before, linking up various bits I knew from other rides; at one point, as the road went down and down, I was getting a bit worried that my dead reckoning was going to get me very lost and that I'd have to grovel all the way back up again, but it all worked out, and after an hour the rain turned to drizzle and then lifted totally. I stopped for a coffee and a bun at Under Pressure (an excellent hipster coffee place in Sutton Coldfield), before heading home with 30 miles under my belt.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #22726 on: November 13, 2019, 08:42:49 am »
Yesterday, a very windy 83 km, the kind of ride where you struggle against the wind looking forward to a lovely fast ride home with it pushing you along, but by the time you reach your turning-point you're too knackered to enjoy it.  Legs still stiff this morning. Gee, I'd better just sit here and wait for a cup of tea to appear. ;D
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #22727 on: November 14, 2019, 11:08:52 am »
Yesterday 60k group ride including lunch (mediocre) at ye pubbe. Cold but sunny and wonderful with only a slight breeze. I kept cramping in legs however and struggled a bit with lumpy bits due to cold,  despite winter leggings and plenty of layers. Not sure what I can do about this. Usual liquids, no alcohol at pubbe, but I did  consume a bottle of wine night before.  :facepalm:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #22728 on: November 15, 2019, 12:34:35 pm »
Just a short potter (7 miles in total) to meet Penny for a dog walk at Belfairs Woods. Only a short walk but her back was giving her lots of jip. We had coffee at the EWT visitors' centre and, being dogged, sat outside. But then rain stoped play and I rode home again.

Point of information for T42: it was 1001 that cleaned a big, big carpet for less than 2/6. (ref his post of October 20th). That shows how often I visit this thread these days.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #22729 on: November 16, 2019, 05:10:53 pm »
90k, bluish sky at times, what they call 'crisp'.  Sweaty up the hills with Soft Shell open, freezing down them with it zipped, can't win. Pleasant lunch in the usual joint.  Wildlife: not much -the usual buzzards, families of ravens strutting, something green that was probably a woodpecker.  Riding past one hedge I thought there were chickens squabbling on the far side: turned out to be a football match in progress.  Hardly saw any other cyclists in the morning but quite a few coming t'other way in the gloaming.

BTW, in France we have an idiotic law which ordains that cyclists may not use cycle tracks between sunset and sunrise. Earlier this year our beloved, intelligent and benevolent* Préfet added his own special sauce and set the limits at one hour before sunset and an hour after sunrise.  Coming home on our local cycle track ten minutes before sunset I rode past the gendarmes at spitting distance and they batted not an eyelid. They probably think the Préfet is a cunt as well.

* sarcasm

Oh aye, picture:

Theoretically there are mountains in the distance, behind the November fug.

« Reply #22730 on: November 16, 2019, 06:24:51 pm »
A very slow Potter of about 10 miles around Windsor great park stopping for lunch at the fox pub. Jhonathan notp struggling to peddle at walking pace a lot of the time now. 🙂
the slower you go the more you see

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22731 on: November 17, 2019, 10:28:21 am »
I route tested my planned audax for the summer. There are some changes to be made but I'm very happy with the 'main event', the loop out in the Chilterns (though I'll. Red to add a couple of km in distance somehow - odd how komoot says 204 km but in reality it's shorter). Couple of slow flats but nothing the plug kit couldn't deal with.

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #22732 on: November 30, 2019, 03:58:50 pm »
40-odd km coffee-shop ride with El Prez, he with his heart-block that kicks in and hurts when he makes a sudden effort and I with my right foot and ankle sending out jolts of pain every time I held it like that and pressed the pedal.  A right couple of old crocks.  Lovely day - 6°C, sunny & breezy - but it was The Lassie Who Can't Make Coffee on duty in the shop, so getting home to a cuppa was pleasing.  Think I'll have another.

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #22733 on: November 30, 2019, 05:48:25 pm »
Early (for weekend values of early) spin through the lanes to Reigate.  I left late enough for the frost to have disappeared and enjoyed the autumn sunshine after what seems like weeks of rain. Got a sharp haircut, paid some Scout money in at a bank, visited my niece and returned. Saw a deer without road sense, a brace of parakeets and a buzzard.

55km. A nice run out.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #22734 on: November 30, 2019, 07:08:41 pm »
Blue loop at Thetford: 12km of easy mtb in the woods normally.  But this time with me on the MUni, mini1 running, and the dog taking the piss out of us.

Knackered.  All three of us, I think.

« Reply #22735 on: December 01, 2019, 01:56:41 pm »
First ride since September for me today! Also the coldest day we've had for ages (it was -5 in parts). My fingers were not happy. However, it was good to get out with the few other souls who braved the club run, and the coffee stop was most welcome.

« Reply #22736 on: December 01, 2019, 03:45:11 pm »
Went for a standard run out into the Peak from Hillsborough, cold but soon got warmed up on the first climb. Was fine descending the A57 down to Ladybower. The return climb up from Yorkshire Bridge near Bamford was shaded and there was ice on the ground.

My friend came off at a cattle grid and bumped his head (was wearing a helmet which has a visible crack where the impact was), his wife came to fetch him, he seemed okay but is getting checked out. I continued on gingerly and changed my route home opting for main roads which were fine.

Was harder than usual but to be expected because I've not been cycling much lately and I've had a bit of a cold this week.

Clear blue skies and beautiful views at the top of Higger Tor/Burbage Edge.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
    • Snakehips' Bikes
« Reply #22737 on: December 01, 2019, 03:58:12 pm »
I managed a 22 miler just before the weather changed from cold to wet.
If you were in Richmond Park you might have noticed me.  I was the guy with the oily black hands  wielding a chain tool by the White Lodge, and then about 50 yds along the road doing it again rather more successfully the second time.
Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

« Reply #22738 on: December 01, 2019, 04:38:18 pm »
First ride for weeks, joined the short ride group from Uxbridge through a myriad of back streets to Ruislip for coffee and Harrow Weald for lunch in a Wetherspoons. About a dozen of us, I ducked out and caught the tube back from Rayners Lane, total 19 miles. Feel a lot better for it despite the cold, and managed to avoid the light rain later.

« Reply #22739 on: December 03, 2019, 09:19:18 pm »
Went out for 40 odd km of main roads tonight. Sheffield to Hathersage and then back up the A57 and down the Rivellin Valley to Hillsborough. Sloppy roads and cold toes

« Reply #22740 on: December 08, 2019, 09:06:16 am »
Yesterday.  For ages I haven't been on a longish ride so I decided it was about time despite the grimy, grey, greasy weather. 

Unfortunately I didn't quite get the clothing right as toward the end I was quite chilled and it was necessary to ride hard to keep warm..  My ride took me to Castle Howard via Thornton le Clay and then back via Bulmer.  Probably 45 to 50 miles which I did in about 190 minutes riding the wonderful British Eagle Touristique*.  Castle Howard was a heaving mass of cars all trying to find somewhere to park, guided by hordes of traffic marshals.  Getting out of York was easy enough, getting back in was a challenge but fortunately bicycles can go where cars can't.  I was pleased to have the dynohub powering my day time running lights but in fact the motorists were all well behaved, no exceptions.

* just thought, it's 32 this year!
Sic transit and all that..

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22741 on: December 08, 2019, 09:31:23 am »
Big ride from London to the Enigma factory yesterday. 102 km long so not super big, but throw in 1400m of climbing and that's a recipe for sore legs this morning!

It was a really fascinating visit.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

« Reply #22742 on: December 08, 2019, 09:06:23 pm »
My first Potter since my back went ping. A little flat 15 mile circuit with a friend I met in hospital last week. We stopped to eat at the walled garden centre at Dorney Court and spent 10mins sheltering under a bridge from a shower on the way back 🙂
the slower you go the more you see