Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3946665 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23875 on: 27 August, 2020, 05:17:15 pm »
About 9 miles, mostly good-quality off-road, and a circuit of Belfairs woods. I looked at the forecast and realised that this morning would be the only chance I had of a dry ride. Belfairs Woods become very muddy in the winter months so given that it's peeing down now and there were some patches this morning that were showing signs of softness, I doubt I will get many more trips round there until spring.

I returned along the 30mph dual carriageway which was good fun. It's mostly gentle downhill and I was keeping up >15mph for quite a bit of the time. That stretch has a few sets of lights and I played leapfrog with quite a few motor vehicles.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #23876 on: 27 August, 2020, 05:23:35 pm »
Lots of rides last week in deepest South Downs territory. Gorgeous up there.

The most notable was a three climb ride; Streat Hill, then along the South Downs Way, down to the A27, up the big horseshoe climb to take you above Kingston near Lewes, down to Southease then up again with a final drop to Glynde. Mrs hatler quite pooped after that. 2,200' ascent in 16 miles.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #23877 on: 27 August, 2020, 07:33:35 pm »
20 miles today. 10 dry this morning for a coffee with bjorn and 10 wet miles to get some brake cables and cables and gear cables for a hybrid repair for a neighbour   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23878 on: 27 August, 2020, 07:41:01 pm »
I did the 31 mile "Keith Floyd route"* in 1 hr 55.  The wind was only really in my face for about 3 miles.  Would have taken it easier but I thought I was in 39 x 16 when I was in 39 x 15.  Stupid 10-speed, too many cogs.

*it goes over the bridge at Coleshill where Keith had his drink-driving accident
This one?
https://goo.gl/maps/jggVWBDNaPT7jYmv6

I love that road from Highworth to Faringdon! Partly but not entirely for the great downhill from the top of Highworth. It's my regret that the only time I've ever stopped at the pub at the top of Coleshill, it was closed (and so was the NT cafe).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23879 on: 27 August, 2020, 07:55:13 pm »
A cycling club chum was 70 today so a 70km ride for all of us >70 members was organised - with lunch at a Warwickshire pub well-known for pies.   

As I couldn't get to the start in time (waiting for a delivery!) my plan was an abridged version that would take in much of the route, get me to lunch, and still achieve the regulation 70km by the time I got home.

All went well until the pub when it started to rain - food/beer was sorted ... but not helped by the fact that the marquee they had in the garden blew away earlier in the week - we ended up eating standing up under a covered walkway, watching the rain.

Decision to just make for home was taken ...... my clothes got the "pre-rinse" before the washing machine - but at least I was on a machine with mudguards.  Part of the A3400 just north of SuA was flowing like a shallow river.   Ended up with about 55km so not too bad - and Steve the birthday boy enjoyed the ride and his cake.

« Reply #23880 on: 29 August, 2020, 04:34:00 pm »
Yes! First time in a couple of months. Also first time out on the Trice, which had a couple of minor mechanicals - first when crossing a roundabout exit road on the cyclepath. I waited a while, then someone flashed me out. I accelerated out a bit hard, and twisted the boom which I'd obviously not tightened enough or tested under full load. A slightly slower crossing than I'd intended, and a stop to reset it.

Then at the halfway point I realised the upper rear chain tubes was getting pulled through the P clip and into the idler, chewing it and splitting it - so another stop to cut off the damaged section and fix the remaining section in place. I was pleased I'd bother to fit a pannier and put some tools on board, which I'd been tempted to skip as it was only a short ride to see if I was up to it.

Total of 5.2km of fairly flat riding (only one hill of note), and due to mechanicals only just faster than MrsH who ran it - despite me managing 42km/h on the long section. So pretty much nothing, but a couple of weeks ago I couldn't even bend my knee enough to do a full rotation of the cranks so I'll take that as a win on my road to recovery.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23881 on: 29 August, 2020, 05:03:22 pm »
Think I’ve found possibly the steepest road in east Kent - only a few hundred metres but *averages* 20% according to Strava, and I can well believe it - and it’s considerably steeper than that in places.

It’s called The Wynd, and it’s a little turning off Charing Hill, about halfway up. Viciously steep.
https://veloviewer.com/segments/724830 (not sure the data on vv is accurate, but it gives an idea)
https://veloviewer.com/segments/12560927/ (this longer segment looks more accurate)

I went up it in today’s ride as a cut through to where I needed to be - if I’d looked at the map more closely in advance, I might have gone the long way round. Or not - it's kind of fun taking on those little challenges.

It was a tough ride overall - mostly because of the wind. Also had a spell of rain. But good to get out anyway. 97km in the bag. Satisfying.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #23882 on: 29 August, 2020, 08:40:23 pm »
Decided not to go out what with it being a bank holiday weekend and not at all sunny. Instead I did Ven Top on Zwift which took me just over 2 hours plus another 15 mins of descending for easy points. 

In 2015 I did the climb for real and I was impressed by the Zwift version which brought back memories, in particular the way the transmission tower appears as you round a bend and you think 'thank god for that'.  Also the Simpson memorial.  The bit at the top isn't like I recall as there seems to be much more space.  On Zwift it's at least as hard as I remember and I am pleased to be getting back to fitness.

Next week I will try and get out to the Yorkshire Wolds.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #23883 on: 30 August, 2020, 02:14:13 pm »
Actually rode a bike today. Inspired by Graeme’s tweeting his perm I only rode 1/6th as far and now I’m going to have a beer and a coffee. Felt much harder than running tbh - particularly the 50km from Wetherby to the top of Studley deer park into the wind. I might have been faster running too.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23884 on: 30 August, 2020, 07:03:12 pm »
Crack! I was just moving off from the lights when, with a sharp noise, my foot slipped and something fell from the bike. Fortunately, it wasn't me. Unfortunately, it was the r/h pedal. The body had broken away leaving the spindle in the crank. Roadworks at the junction combined with quiet traffic meant being stranded in the middle of the B4469 wasn't anywhere near as traumatic as it could have been, and I only had about two miles to walk home. Unfortunately, this means I only got two miles riding.

Looking at the pedal now, there are small cracks and chips in the inner surface of the sleeve, for want of a better word, that forms part of the pedal body and goes round the spindle itself. I'm not sure if this is what caused the failure or is a result of the failure. It also looks as if something might have either snapped (very cleanly) or simply unscrewed itself at the end of the spindle where it fits into a bolt on the outside of the pedal body. I hadn't noticed any looseness previously. They were cheap pedals but only 18 months old. Genetic brand. Came from SJS – I'll see how they respond to an email.

« Reply #23885 on: 30 August, 2020, 07:42:32 pm »
My get up and go took until lunchtime to stir itself, so 48km rather than something longer. On the upside, an annoying hole in my vv cluster was filled and I kept the average over 20km/h.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23886 on: 30 August, 2020, 07:55:16 pm »
Up in That London with some of the Fridays/CycleChat gang for a Quite Interesting Ride led by the ever knowledgeable Ross.  I could spend ages going down the historical rabbit holes he led us to. We finished at the cafe in Russell Square for chat and BEER (just the one). Only 15 miles or so, plus a dash across town from Russell Square back to Victoria then 10 miles home from the station.

I took a few photos   
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23887 on: 30 August, 2020, 08:04:00 pm »

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23888 on: 30 August, 2020, 09:23:46 pm »
That ice cream thing on the fourth plinth looks a bit mental.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23889 on: 31 August, 2020, 02:51:25 pm »
31k through neighbouring villages in search of decent bread.  Coupla shots:

Dontcha love it when the clouds bend round and take a personal interest?

(click to show/hide)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23890 on: 31 August, 2020, 04:50:12 pm »
Up in That London with some of the Fridays/CycleChat gang for a Quite Interesting Ride led by the ever knowledgeable Ross.  I could spend ages going down the historical rabbit holes he led us to. We finished at the cafe in Russell Square for chat and BEER (just the one). Only 15 miles or so, plus a dash across town from Russell Square back to Victoria then 10 miles home from the station.

I took a few photos
Excellent pics as usual, Tim.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23891 on: 31 August, 2020, 06:42:48 pm »
Thanks. Out today too, 110km to just outside Southampton en route to Devon. Fewer photos as e failed to put a card in the camera. Oops.

« Reply #23892 on: 31 August, 2020, 07:11:52 pm »

My get up and go took until lunchtime to stir itself

Weirdly, mine works the other way. Raring for it at 5am but disappeared by 8.
I had a contretemps with a jobsworth at Durham services, whose response to my query as to *why* my bike shouldn't be inside the services (4 members of staff, me + 2 customers sitting in Costa) was that "it might fall over and hurt someone". This may have been the final straw and some sweariness ensued.

« Reply #23893 on: 31 August, 2020, 09:31:16 pm »
Tandemed 70km on quite a few new roads to me in Dumfries and Galloway.  Quite a tandem friendly route, and the roads were unbelievably quiet. Well, apart from literally hundreds of pheasants on one lane.  This used to be my favourite region in Scotland for cycling but I hadn't been down in a while. Today was my second visit this month, and its becoming my favourite again. No cafe's open en-route but we stopped at the shop in moniaive for a coffee from the shop.

(On the drive down, we passed a cyclist that I thought (and was later confirmed by strava) to be Windy, who must have been out at first light.)

« Reply #23894 on: 01 September, 2020, 04:43:33 pm »
Today was the first ride in, umm, nearly 2 years.  :-\   Anyway, managed a mostly flat 18 miles in about 1 1/2 hours. Now have complaining trapeziums, triceps, quads and, unsurprisingly, the bursa on my sit bones!  Still, it’s a start. It was pleasant as I’m off work this week, and was able to go out after lunch, and the roads were pleasantly quiet.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #23895 on: 01 September, 2020, 05:59:33 pm »
Two runs at the weekend. Up Streat Bostall and along to Jack and Jill, and then back home via Underhill Lane and then home via a bit we know as the French Fields. Glorious.

Then yesterday I borrowed mini's new (to us) Orange Crush to head up Streat Bostall again and then up again to Black Cap and down on a roundabout route to East Chiltington. Not many miles but quite tough.

Streat Bostall is so steep that you have to lean forward to stop the front wheel lifting.
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23896 on: 02 September, 2020, 03:50:30 pm »
Second 30k loop this week, experimenting with riding after having metformin at breakfast-time.  Both times had a drop in energy at ~45 minutes, presumably as muscle reserves ran out. Rather surprised they lasted that long. Thereafter the metformin was reducing the flow of fuel and the fun turned into a bit of a drag, but not too much: I could shove in sports drink & crystallized ginger and "swamp" it. Not an ideal solution, though; it generates a lot of gas.

Passed a bloke on a tadpole with a very DIY-looking windscreen & roof with dangly bits at the back like the slurry with the fringe on top. He can't have been having much fun, we were on a narrow forest road that was more holey than godly.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23897 on: 02 September, 2020, 09:57:26 pm »
My trek south west continued. Yesterday 130km from somewhere near Southampton, through the New Forest, Dorset, into Blandford and to a friend in Somerset..

36km today to my grate frend Penfold. This meant going over the Blackdown Hills, which were somewhat character forming.

« Reply #23898 on: 02 September, 2020, 10:09:19 pm »
"... somewhat character forming."

I'll have to remember that the next time I'm grinding my singlespeed up a climb with a pedalling rhythm only Max Wall could have danced to. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23899 on: 03 September, 2020, 08:48:40 am »
Second 30k loop this week, experimenting with riding after having metformin at breakfast-time.

P.S. Legs bloody sore last night.  If that wretched poison wasn't keeping my kidneys i.a. from gumming up...