Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3980425 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #26550 on: 25 May, 2024, 03:49:46 pm »
Well, I am damned proud of my Mrs. We have been together for more than 49 years, and were at school when we started "going out" together.

I genuinely thought she was not going to survive the surgery on Wednesday, 22nd May, to remove the cancer and the upper lobe of her right lung.

She came home from the hospital on Thursday evening, less than 27 hours after going under the (keyhole) knife.

Yesterday she went out for a couple of short walks maybe 500metres in total.

Today she has done two walks again, for a total of more than 2km.

I am shocked. Elated. Amazed. Stunned. Gobsmacked. What a plucky little lady! 
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #26551 on: 25 May, 2024, 04:06:33 pm »
Pleased to hear it!  Compared to which my ride was the mere walk in the park.

68.77km ride to the Yorkshire Wolds.  Wasn't aware that the Stamford Bridge Bridge is closed for repairs so was astonished at the length of the queue at Buttercrambe Bridge to which traffic had been diverted.  Buttercrambe Bridge is really two single track bridges joined by a tortuous stretch of road. To prevent overweight vehicles there is a very narrow width restriction which means that every vehicle has to crawl to get through and recently a traffic light has been added. Even after I had cycled past the queue it took several minutes for the lights to change, allowing only about 10 vehicles to use the bridge at a time.  I raced through the green and it was quite a while before any car passed me. 

Starting in sunshine it was warm but very soon the sun disappeared leaving only a chilly ENE airstream.  Apart form waiting at the bridge I didn't hang around, averaging 24km/h and no other stops.  Climbed 440m in all, with a very steep climb before Leavening, on which where there was a serious wildfire in 2022 - it very nearly reached the farm and its buildings. 

I wish Mrs JefO a total recovery.

Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

« Reply #26552 on: 25 May, 2024, 04:25:00 pm »
Pleased to hear it!  Compared to which my ride was the mere walk in the park.
I wish Mrs JefO a total recovery.

Thank you Asterix - much appreciated. A small walk and a giant leap!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #26553 on: 25 May, 2024, 04:34:23 pm »
Felt great despite running heart well over 100% theoretical max.

What theoretical max?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26554 on: 25 May, 2024, 05:28:50 pm »

What theoretical max?

Planck.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26555 on: 25 May, 2024, 06:24:56 pm »
FNRTTC last night to whizzy bell. Thirty or so riders including Blodwyn Pig OTP.

Chillier than I dressed for but a cracking ride all the same. One puncture in the rear wheel of the ride leader. Oops.

Because stuff happened, I got to play at being all-upper for a bit, channeling my inner Davy Walnuts.

What larks!
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #26556 on: 25 May, 2024, 06:37:33 pm »

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #26557 on: 25 May, 2024, 07:32:44 pm »
Tandem popped in the car last night and up to Balbeggie this morning for a 99km ride.

Lovely quiet lanes with reasonably graded rises, has to be my favourite bit of Scotland for tandem riding

Suprise guest appearances from The Pingus at the Little Bear cafe at Lintrathen where we blethered over a lovely lunch. 

The sun came out after that so we stopped in Meigle for an ice cream.

Last 25km a bit of a slog but all good practice for SemFed in Roanne in a couple of months

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/182452830

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #26558 on: 25 May, 2024, 07:33:33 pm »
Yep, today / last night, T'was the FNRTTC Whitstable, 120km (for me) over night ride, 5.5 degrees C and one point in the night, Brrrr.... great fun, sunny morning/day followed.

Oops, ps, just noticed Tim H had said so up thread, I was tired, I was.  ::-)

« Reply #26559 on: 25 May, 2024, 08:54:45 pm »

I genuinely thought she was not going to survive the surgery on Wednesday, 22nd May, to remove the cancer and the upper lobe of her right lung.

She came home from the hospital on Thursday evening, less than 27 hours after going under the (keyhole) knife.

I am a bit late to this but wanted to add my best wishes for a full recovery to MrsO. My father in law, 90 in September, has recently had a very similar op (cancer and bottom lobe in his case) and is slowly recovering.   The human body is amazing in what it can recover from with the right medical care.

« Reply #26560 on: 25 May, 2024, 11:40:19 pm »

I am a bit late to this but wanted to add my best wishes for a full recovery to MrsO. My father in law, 90 in September, has recently had a very similar op (cancer and bottom lobe in his case) and is slowly recovering.   The human body is amazing in what it can recover from with the right medical care.

Thank you JellyLegs. Wow! I am stunned that they removed a bottom lobe (a bigger op) for someone in their late 80s, or older - it is a real eye opener what they are doing!  Where did he have the operation?

« Reply #26561 on: 26 May, 2024, 08:54:52 am »
Best Wishes to Mrs JeffO.
Super positive attitude.

« Reply #26562 on: 26 May, 2024, 10:28:34 am »
Best Wishes to Mrs JeffO.
Super positive attitude.

Cheers Flite. Your comment very gratefully received!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26563 on: 26 May, 2024, 10:41:26 am »

Well done Mrs JefO!  Hope she doesn't pop any stitches.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #26564 on: 26 May, 2024, 02:08:28 pm »

Thank you JellyLegs. Wow! I am stunned that they removed a bottom lobe (a bigger op) for someone in their late 80s, or older - it is a real eye opener what they are doing!  Where did he have the operation?

University Hospital London, or an outlying bit of it.  I think that was because the surgeon he was referred to by the local hospital prefers to do his operations close to his private practice up in London.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #26565 on: 26 May, 2024, 02:47:07 pm »
Bit of a washed out club ride today.

"It rained and it rained and it rained. Piglet told himself that never in all his life, and he was goodness knows how old⁠—three, was it, or four?⁠—never had he seen so much rain. Days and days and days."

And so it was that already some of the group had abandoned by the point where I met them. We had agreed a truncated route, but even that was beginning to look unappealing.
We rode to Hirn, and then along the back road behind Banchory, passing the hairy coos. There is a paddock of heavy horses here too. They stood stock still, their mighty heads bowed low to the ground, water dripping off them. The looked not unlike my companions. One by one, riders peeled off, making their own soggy way home whatever way seemed best to them. And then there were two. At Raemoir, Paul went left towards Torphins, and I went right towards Garlogie and home, making for a modest 45k.

The road up Cullerlie is unrecognisable now that all the trees are gone. The stone circle remains, inscrutable as ever, indifferent to the rains it has endured thousands of times before.

And so back home. Never underestimate the therapeutic benefits of several hundred litres of hot water.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11500347860

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26566 on: 26 May, 2024, 07:02:52 pm »
Spin out on the Pino with my Young Lady. Comedy off roading/ jungle clearance for half a mile. Lunch was homemade pasties by the canal, then into Thee Pubbe for rehydration therapy. Gave up after waiting at the bar for 10 minutes so carried on to another,smaller, remote Thee Pubbe were drinks were had.

Home then out more or less straight away on the tandem trike for an hour , to get used to it again as we're meant to be in a time trial on it in a few weeks.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #26567 on: 26 May, 2024, 07:44:35 pm »
80km to Birling Gap and back, via Falmer, some South Downs Way and Friston Forest.
I passed a steady stream of really quite tired hikers, who had come from Richmond and were 96km in. Later there were runners, joining the hoards at Birling Gap. There was also a blocked road, where a Belgian coach had tried to go up Litlington Road and an over side Volvo had lost his nerve half way past. Reversing by both was achieved.
I’m feeling the lumps and the headwind now, but a good day out.

« Reply #26568 on: 26 May, 2024, 11:26:27 pm »
A weekend of doing the NE250 from Pitlochry with an overnight at Peterhead.  Quite a few roads I've not done in years (before strava) and many new ones too. Almost wall to wall sunshine yesterday but at least 3 drechings. The one in aberdeen was the worst. Cracking weekend, my biggest weekend in years and years

« Reply #26569 on: 27 May, 2024, 08:56:07 am »
No ride for me but I'll add to the chapeau for MrsJefO

« Reply #26570 on: 27 May, 2024, 09:50:09 am »
No ride for me but I'll add to the chapeau for MrsJefO

Thank you - I will pass that on right now!

« Reply #26571 on: 27 May, 2024, 06:39:38 pm »

What theoretical max?

Planck.

Make some sense man!

« Reply #26572 on: 27 May, 2024, 08:17:50 pm »

« Reply #26573 on: 27 May, 2024, 10:05:00 pm »
A short and pleasant 10 miles with an introductory riding group. Just missed the rain which was a bonus.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26574 on: 27 May, 2024, 10:16:20 pm »
I seemingly did a loop around the Ominous Raincloud and caught up with it from behind.  Nearly thought I'd got away with it.