Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2366690 times)

groucho

• Humph!!
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #775 on: June 09, 2008, 12:06:22 pm »
Yesterday Penarth to Merthyr and back via Pentrych, Church Village, Cilfynedd (where I resisted the temptation to latch onto the Cardiff Ajax/Jif peloton) A465 hill, Dowlais. Back to Cardiff I finished off with a grind up Leckwith Hill before descending into Penarth. 64 miles or so.

Will it be enough to get me round the Dragonride next weekend ?????????
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

« Reply #776 on: June 09, 2008, 12:18:27 pm »
I think you need to read the tandem ride thread to understand Jurek's innocent comment!  ;D

There are gazillions of cyclists out on my commute now the sun is out. Which is, on the whole, great, but I really wish they wouldn't push past me to jump the lights and keep lining up down the left of HGVs at big junctions like the one with Buckingham Palace road, where trucks often turn left.*

*Yes, I was a newbie cyclist once. I was very slow, and I was wobbly...but I never did the things that are annoying me now!

« Reply #777 on: June 09, 2008, 12:22:02 pm »
Unfortunately I did not take my camera, so here are the best shots I could take of the Tee-pee I saw camped alongside the Marteg:

[img]

Here's a close-up, unfortunately the digital zoom knocked out the detail and colour:

[img]

That's been there (or has been and come back again) since late last summer.  Looks like a great place for a campsite.

alan

« Reply #778 on: June 09, 2008, 12:31:11 pm »
[
You looked fine to me, first thing this morning. :-*

:o
was this supposed to be secret :-X  ::-)  ;)

I thought this as well :-\

is this a case of great minds think alike or fools seldom differ :-\

alan

« Reply #779 on: June 09, 2008, 12:34:06 pm »
innocent comment!  ;D

what's one of them :demon:

« Reply #780 on: June 09, 2008, 01:25:09 pm »
[
You looked fine to me, first thing this morning. :-*

:o
was this supposed to be secret :-X  ::-)  ;)

I thought this as well :-\
Shhh!  ;)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #781 on: June 09, 2008, 01:28:40 pm »
Yes, I was a newbie once. I was very slow, and I was wobbly...but I never did the things that are annoying me now!

It comes to all of us in time, dear... ::-)
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #782 on: June 09, 2008, 01:45:04 pm »
I had a first on saturday a 32 mile domestic en velo :-X There is no way I would ever get a tandem my ears would drop off.

alan

« Reply #783 on: June 09, 2008, 02:59:15 pm »
I had a first on saturday a 32 mile domestic en velo :-X There is no way I would ever get a tandem my ears would drop off.

So if you had a tandem & she fell off,you'd think you had gone deaf ;D

« Reply #784 on: June 09, 2008, 04:16:53 pm »

Ride harder; it'd be difficult to have a chat, let alone a domestic!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #785 on: June 09, 2008, 04:43:17 pm »
Bootiful it was today. 62 miles to Minnis Bay and back on the shopper. Just to prove I can do it. Not exactly fast but it means I should cope with the FNRTTC next week. Fingers crossed.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #786 on: June 09, 2008, 07:32:56 pm »
I've finally arrived home after many hours at the tender mercies of a company that appear to be called "Arriva Trains Wales Are sorry To Anounce"  >:(

Deffinately riding to the pub quiz tonight.  It's only a mile, but every little bit of enjoyment will be wrung from the journey, I assure you.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

Maladict

« Reply #787 on: June 09, 2008, 09:40:41 pm »
YES!!!

2 weeks of no cycling due to being run down by that post-BCM stomach trouble ends!

Only 11 miles but it was on the nice bike, weather was perfect, 0kts wind shown on the local weather station, 22 deg C.  I was going to take it easy, but you know what happens, so I averaged 28kph in the end.

Good job I can still ride a bike, since I've a 400 this weekend.  8)

steveB

« Reply #788 on: June 09, 2008, 09:53:46 pm »
Only an eight mile commute to an allotment meeting at the town council offices.  

Unfortunately I mistimed the ride and headwind. I arrived hot and sweaty in cycling gear, sitting around the table in a warm room the sweat really started pumping out of me.  It was the first meeting that I have been able to attend, due to shift work commitments, since being allotment site rep.  I have always been 'apology for absence'

I wonder what they all made of the sixty year old cyclist that they had all met for the first time?

I know what I made of the local Tory councillor - Twat!  Why do people want to always make mountains out of molehills? ???

« Reply #789 on: June 09, 2008, 10:00:29 pm »
Yes, did the school run with MiniQ on the tandem in the morning and afternoon.  Total about 6.8 miles. In the sunshine :)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #790 on: June 09, 2008, 10:01:54 pm »
Our first tandem pootle since returning from Wales and our mutual gutrot. Lovely warm evening initially, but a bit cooler after sunset. Just under 17 miles at 10.6 mph.

Had a good view of a fox and a barn owl, which we first spotted coming in high from our right with its undercarriage down - there was something in its talons. Then it swept low over the corn fields for another quarter of a mile or so and was gone.

Had a sea wall walk this morning which was really quite knackering - about 5 miles in the heat. The dog has learned to drink from a bidon. I just squirt the water into his mouth. He was led a merry dance by a pair of oystercatchers, who led him away from their nest and out onto  the mud.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #791 on: June 09, 2008, 11:10:50 pm »
Commute on Loki.
Then did a trial run on the tractor with Rachel to her new school - she wants to ride there on her own tomorrow for the after school club. I am really not quite sure. (bit concerned about a lack of awareness and road positioning - needs work).
Then finally got out on Fred. Beautiful day, touch breezy. Went to the first gate on Craigowl Hill, then finished the usual circuit through Auchterhouse, Dronley and up into Templeton Woods before a fast run down to home. I am so unfit. Race on Wednesday (10 tt), meeting on Friday in St Andrews to which I shall ride. No chance of beating the clubs unofficial St Andrews to the bridge commuting record (33 mins - has to be done with at least one pannier) as there is a boozy buffet afterwards. And all this winds up to the club 10 next Tuesday.

So it was good to get out tonight but I really need more miles.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #792 on: June 09, 2008, 11:43:34 pm »
Yes!

For the first time in ages, but the weather was so fantastic I had to go out. Only 10 miles, but as it was still boiling hot at 7, it was enough.

Marking? What marking?
Abnormal for Norfolk

annie

« Reply #793 on: June 10, 2008, 10:50:00 am »
No.  Ran yesterday and did a cross country route today, just under 7.5 miles, yippee.  Legs completely covered in nettle stings and tingling like billyo.

vince

« Reply #794 on: June 10, 2008, 10:40:16 pm »
16.6 miles. I really nice ride this evening with a friend who I've not rode with before, although we've talked about it for a while. I really should have been working but instead we took a back road to Farnah Green outside Belper and then up to Alport heights, before a fast ride to Shottle and back down to Milford. Lovely sunshine and great views (no camera tonight, sorry).

I might be over doing it at the moment. Combined with running a few miles this morning, I feel it in my legs right now. Why do I always try to pick up where I left off the previous autumn?  :-\

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #795 on: June 10, 2008, 10:54:41 pm »
Because you stop in the winter? Keep up your 600 miles per month all the year round and you'll have no problem.

vince

« Reply #796 on: June 11, 2008, 06:12:11 am »
Wise words, that I try to follow every year. I actually did one year and it made a huge difference, for whatever reason I haven't managed it for the last three though  :(

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #797 on: June 11, 2008, 10:28:18 am »
15 painful miles round the usual route. Arthritis playing up in my hands, particularly the base of my right thumb. Very painful to change gear. :(

annie

« Reply #798 on: June 11, 2008, 12:03:59 pm »
Sorry to hear about your aches Wow, have you been doing too much with your hand :-\ :o  No, not that kind of thing before you ask.

I have been out :)  confidence is returning, I just threw on my cycling things, grabbed a bottle and went, I didn't have long to get to school for an appt and the weather wasn't particularly nice but I went anyway, this is a huge step for me.  11kms in 20 mins, takes me about 10-12 minutes by car down the A14.  Very main roady and lots of respect from motorists :D

Coming back was a different pot of marmite altogether, 27 minutes into a life sapping wind, grinding away, gasping like a fish as the wind sucked the breath straight out of my mouth.  Hot and happy and very pleased with myself.  It wasn't far but this is a huge improvement in my mental strength for just getting on and going.

As always the kids were delighted to see me on the bike and JC was proud to see him mum cycling in yet again.

« Reply #799 on: June 11, 2008, 09:18:20 pm »
Yes and no.

Rode to a sports equipt manufacturer I advise. Had meetings in my area of expertise. Then jumped on the bike in a trial room to test some kit riding on a turbo ;D. Trialled several options. It was hot. Then rode home; fast! Not a very long ride, but a nice effort nonetheless. I liked it!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse