Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2366641 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #800 on: June 11, 2008, 09:48:17 pm »
Yes. Took R to school on the Tandem. Well, to the end of the road 200m away so she could walk the last part without a parent around.

Raced tonight - 10 mile TT and GOT A NEW PB!!! YAYYYYY!

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

annie

« Reply #801 on: June 11, 2008, 10:04:40 pm »
Yes. Took R to school on the Tandem. Well, to the end of the road 200m away so she could walk the last part without a parent around.

Raced tonight - 10 mile TT and GOT A NEW PB!!! YAYYYYY!

..d

Excellent, well done.

I am still tempted.  Need to work on my times first though I think.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #802 on: June 11, 2008, 10:06:58 pm »
Sorry to hear about your aches Wow, have you been doing too much with your hand :-\ :o  No, not that kind of thing before you ask.

I have been out :)  confidence is returning, I just threw on my cycling things, grabbed a bottle and went, I didn't have long to get to school for an appt and the weather wasn't particularly nice but I went anyway, this is a huge step for me.  11kms in 20 mins, takes me about 10-12 minutes by car down the A14.  Very main roady and lots of respect from motorists :D

Coming back was a different pot of marmite altogether, 27 minutes into a life sapping wind, grinding away, gasping like a fish as the wind sucked the breath straight out of my mouth.  Hot and happy and very pleased with myself.  It wasn't far but this is a huge improvement in my mental strength for just getting on and going.

As always the kids were delighted to see me on the bike and JC was proud to see him mum cycling in yet again.

Well done on your efforts, Annie.

Regarding my hand, what do you have in mind? ::-)
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

annie

« Reply #803 on: June 11, 2008, 10:10:20 pm »
Sorry to hear about your aches Wow, have you been doing too much with your hand :-\ :o  No, not that kind of thing before you ask.

I have been out :)  confidence is returning, I just threw on my cycling things, grabbed a bottle and went, I didn't have long to get to school for an appt and the weather wasn't particularly nice but I went anyway, this is a huge step for me.  11kms in 20 mins, takes me about 10-12 minutes by car down the A14.  Very main roady and lots of respect from motorists :D

Coming back was a different pot of marmite altogether, 27 minutes into a life sapping wind, grinding away, gasping like a fish as the wind sucked the breath straight out of my mouth.  Hot and happy and very pleased with myself.  It wasn't far but this is a huge improvement in my mental strength for just getting on and going.

As always the kids were delighted to see me on the bike and JC was proud to see him mum cycling in yet again.

Well done on your efforts, Annie.

Regarding my hand, what do you have in mind? ::-)

Ok, I have given this some serious thought :o smear with marmite, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge overnight.  Remove at 4.47am and observe changes.  If you still feel the pain then cover in peanut butter as well and pop back in the chill section for exactly 39 minutes.  If nothing else it will take your mind off the problem.  I hope this has helped you?  Now do you have anything else that needs sorting out? O:-)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #804 on: June 11, 2008, 10:16:32 pm »
Yes. Some virgins who like licking a mixture of Marmite and peanut butter.

annie

« Reply #805 on: June 11, 2008, 10:20:26 pm »

We are talking about your hand here aren't we Wow? 

Take a couple of Bob Martin's and retire for the evening.  I have just gobbled down a very late dinner after my swim and now can't go to bed until it has travelled a little further on its journey down south.

Jezza

« Reply #806 on: June 12, 2008, 05:25:01 pm »
My ride yesterday was interrupted by a flat, which I fixed by sticking in my spare tube. Went out today for a 10 mile circuit and it happened again.

One guy walking his dog stopped to watch as I was fixing it. Then another cyclist came past and asked if I was OK. Finally a girl with a pushchair went by and said 'That's a bugger, in't it.'     

Upon closer inspection there was a small sliver of metal, like a staple, sticking into the tyre which had punctured the tube again. All fixed now.   

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #807 on: June 12, 2008, 05:55:52 pm »

Of course! What else? I hope you aren't being in any way lewd or suggestive?

I had a shower-dodging commute at lunch time.

annie

« Reply #808 on: June 12, 2008, 06:19:56 pm »

Of course! What else? I hope you aren't being in any way lewd or suggestive?

I had a shower-dodging commute at lunch time.

That's a relief then ;)

Every time I see the word 'dodge' I think of Jammie Dodgers, yum yum.  I once played a game, we had to see how many we could fit into our mouth at once :sick:

alan

« Reply #809 on: June 12, 2008, 06:31:39 pm »

Every time I see the word 'dodge' I think of Jammie Dodgers, yum yum.  I once played a game, we had to see how many we could fit into our mouth at once :sick:

Who won:how many?

annie

« Reply #810 on: June 12, 2008, 06:48:04 pm »

Who won:how many?

I can't tell you that :o I didn't win but came a close second, I don't recommend doing this whilst wearing your best bib and tucker, better to be in some old togs or a bikini :)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #811 on: June 12, 2008, 07:06:59 pm »
I've just pictured Alan in a bikini with a mouthful of Jammie Dodgers. I need to go and lie down.

alan

« Reply #812 on: June 12, 2008, 07:33:02 pm »
That bikini was supposed to be a secret :-[

annie

« Reply #813 on: June 12, 2008, 07:40:21 pm »
I've just pictured Alan in a bikini with a mouthful of Jammie Dodgers. I need to go and lie down.
Whoops, I hadn't quite thought about what he might be wearing, whatever takes his fancy I guess :o

One tiny weeny ickle thing that I forgot to mention, you aren't allowed to use your hands.... that doesn't mean you can't use the hands of another.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #814 on: June 13, 2008, 07:52:03 am »
I did the CTC club night 'Hill climb' and Freewheel.

THe hill climb was a modest drag and the idea was to guess the time it would take you to get the top. I went for 2 minutes 30 and managed it in 2 minutes 12 seconds. The freewheel entailed having your cranks tied up with one scoot and seeing how far you coasted before falling off. A bit of sillyness but good clean fun.

Officially, I won the freewheel. Yorkie went a lot further but because he got all huffy about tying his cranks up, lost on a technicality.  ;D

It was good to meet other local CTC chaps and have a few beers at The Castle (even at £3.00 a pint for London Pride  :o)

H

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #815 on: June 13, 2008, 09:52:48 am »

Officially, I won the freewheel. Yorkie went a lot further but because he got all huffy about tying his cranks up, lost on a technicality.  ;D

You weren't on fixed I take it :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #816 on: June 13, 2008, 10:26:28 pm »
Went out on another Southwark Cyclists afterworker, and we had great fun.

Over Tower Bridge, and noodling along the river to the Limehouse Basin.  Why were we there again?

Why, for a birthday!

Yes, on 12 June 1908, the Rotherhithe Tunnel was born :D

So we went to sing Happy Birthday at the entrance.

Then rode through it, and sang Happy Birthday at the other end. ;D

And adjourned to a nearby house to watch a scene from the film 'Pool of London', which features the Tunnel quite extensively.

I left the ride at that point as my rear brake cable was pinging a few strands each time I applied it. :(

I went off with a Lambeth Cyclist, heading roughly in the direction of London Bridge, then down to Camberwell, up the amusing hill of the Grove, and pootling through the back way until reaching Streatham station, from where I could roughly find my way back.

I turned into the road where Butterfly works just as she was setting off home.  Perfect timing :)
Getting there...

CathH

« Reply #817 on: June 14, 2008, 08:48:35 am »
Lovely, lovely commutes.  For the first time ever, I took a nice detour that didn't really bump my mileage up at all, but took in a couple of (for me) fairly fierce hills featuring almost-single track roads which I have not done before.  Took the opportunity to do the "yacf bottle in location" thang:

Those bottles are really nice to use - much better than my Spesh ones.  Thanks Gonzo!

« Reply #818 on: June 14, 2008, 12:38:47 pm »
Duly inspired by the Zombocalypse, I decided to have a go at this S24O lark, but in a lightweight manner with everything packed in the saddlebag. That there was a local beer festival on that I could camp at helped too  ;D.

It was a tight squeeze getting everything into the Super C saddlebag, but it all went in (just). My packing list was :-
Tent (Hilleberg Akto), Sleeping bag (300g down), 3/4 Thermarest, silk sleeping bag liner, long sleeved top, longs, eVent jacket, waterproof hat,  MSR ti kettle containing pepsi can stove, teabags, powdered milk, spork, lighter, windshield. The bottle of meths and the potstand went in the side pocket with the spare tubes etc. The other side pocket had the touring toolkit in it.

What I'd have liked to take but couldn't fit in was the Thermarest chair kit, some warmer evening clothing, and some food for breakfast. Possibly a mug too, rather than just using the kettle. The chair kit could go with the tent poles and be attached to the outside D-rings (poles were under lid), I could rationalise the toolkit and free up side pocket space for breakfast muesli. Real milk could go in the spare bottle cage. Maybe I'll have to borrow a Camper Longflap and see if that packs any better. Officially it's 24l rather than 23l for the Super C.

As it is, it worked fine so long as I can camp reasonably close to a pub, for evening meal and warmth if the weather isn't too warm. I feel some more S24O rides coming on...

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • My Instagram
« Reply #819 on: June 14, 2008, 01:22:15 pm »
A stinking head cold - so no, I haven't - I'm going to stay in and recover, I don't want to risk things getting worse with the Snow roads a few weeks away

alan

« Reply #820 on: June 14, 2008, 02:14:31 pm »
Andrew_s,
that's exactly my take on S240.
I have a Camper Longflap which wont accommodate my stuff becauseI use a whisperlite stove & won't compromise on the warm clothes.
I also carry some food,at least porridge or muesli to avoid starvation.
I carry my tent on top of the rear pannier rack & then partially fill each of two Ortlieb small panniers.
I need to rethink my equipment strategy to get everything into  the 24l saddlebag.

« Reply #821 on: June 14, 2008, 02:54:53 pm »
Mrs Z has gone shopping in Bath with the harridans mothers from the village, so I'm looking after the Little Misses.  I have fitted some new V-brake pads, noodle and cable to the Frankendale, as a token cycling activity.  Result: Aztecs don't squeal like KoolStop salmons.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

annie

« Reply #822 on: June 14, 2008, 02:56:45 pm »
No, getting dinner ready for some hungry cyclists.  Drilling holes in the wooden slats for the renovated garden chairs and being generally silly.

Mr A has taken JC to the school fete and then shopping. 

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #823 on: June 14, 2008, 03:29:32 pm »
Out to St Andrews yesterday. 18 miles there in a shade under the hour, then 10 minutes trying to find the place. Legs very tired, and then sitting in an overly warm lecture theatre didn't do me any favours.

Came back 30 scenic miles via Kemback, Cupar, Rathillet, Gauldry and Wormit. Legs definitely found the scenicness interesting.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #824 on: June 14, 2008, 06:23:36 pm »
I went to see my daughter play rounders. 37 miles at an average of 15.9mph. I impressed myself!

If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.