Author Topic: **New** Permanent events  (Read 7958 times)

Re: **New** Permanent events
« Reply #25 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:12:08 pm »
Where do your routes go Ivo?

Mainly Ardennes and Eiffel, so quite scenic routes.
200 a big loop around the German city of Aachen, first 100 quite lumpy, 2nd 100 fairly flat towards and through the Maas-valley. I'm currently retracing the last 50k to evade areas prone to flooding.
300 Maastricht-Bastogne-Huy-Maastricht, do I have to say more :D
400 (new route) night section through the Maas valley, early morning through the Semois valley to the city of Bouillon. Return through the Ardennes.
600 is not usable as a permanent since it follows the Mosel valley and thus doesn't work via the AUk system without adding an enormous amount of info-controls.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #26 on: 24 October, 2008, 10:57:35 pm »
Would it be such a big job for "someone" to update the info on the website to show basic info on the proper perms

I think JW probably does do quite a lot already - since he looks after all Perms 'from cradle to grave' on his own whereas for Events there are teams of people to deal with planning, validation, recording.

So what it takes, I suggest, is for "someone" to offer him/herself to JW as an assistant, specifically to flesh out existing published information with Start places etc.  There's no other impediment - just manpower.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #27 on: 24 October, 2008, 11:16:45 pm »
...I'm currently retracing the last 50k to evade areas prone to flooding.

Spoilsport!

frere yacker

« Reply #28 on: 24 October, 2008, 11:49:01 pm »
So what it takes, I suggest, is for "someone" to offer him/herself to JW as an assistant, specifically to flesh out existing published information with Start places etc.  There's no other impediment - just manpower.

I asked JW if he wanted a deputy a couple of months ago, as I was happy to help him.  JW was happy as things are at the moment.  So instead, I agreed I'd take over organising one of his permanents (LEJOG) from the AGM onwards.

« Reply #29 on: 25 October, 2008, 12:08:51 am »

I asked JW if he wanted a deputy a couple of months ago, as I was happy to help him.  JW was happy as things are at the moment.  So instead, I agreed I'd take over organising one of his permanents (LEJOG) from the AGM onwards.

Perms do seem to be picking up a bit.  And I'm not saying JW is not doing a good job (cos he is) but maybe some more of us need to step up?  There seems to be a degree of yACF willingness to become more involved.  Alongside the current system...sorry I am maybe just a newcomer who may bugger off and start fishing next year.  Such is life I suppose.

frere yacker

« Reply #30 on: 25 October, 2008, 09:18:53 am »
Noodley, I had similar concerns on the outside looking in.  But both the committee  members I've spoken to and more importantly JW think the current system is functioning well. 

Creaky Knees

« Reply #31 on: 25 October, 2008, 12:59:43 pm »
I think JW will be a bit less busy once he's finished wading through all the muckle big piles of end of season DIY cards I and the other organisers have been sending him 8)

He might have time then to do what we'll will be doing today on a gale torn lashing rain day and sit by the fire with the biscuit tin perousing next seasons calendar and planning so much fun.Despite seeing all the events come in at planning stage I still get just as much buzz from working out which one's we'll do next year. 1st pick's Y Lee G's Ballachulish 3 & 2 in May and Eck's Snow roads in June.Should be excellent.

Noodley, I had similar concerns on the outside looking in.  But both the committee  members I've spoken to and more importantly JW think the current system is functioning well. 

Creaky Knees

« Reply #32 on: 25 October, 2008, 01:22:47 pm »
The 300k looks interesting :o

Are you running your calendar events again next year Ivo?

Where do your routes go Ivo?

Mainly Ardennes and Eiffel, so quite scenic routes.
200 a big loop around the German city of Aachen, first 100 quite lumpy, 2nd 100 fairly flat towards and through the Maas-valley. I'm currently retracing the last 50k to evade areas prone to flooding.
300 Maastricht-Bastogne-Huy-Maastricht, do I have to say more :D
400 (new route) night section through the Maas valley, early morning through the Semois valley to the city of Bouillon. Return through the Ardennes.
600 is not usable as a permanent since it follows the Mosel valley and thus doesn't work via the AUk system without adding an enormous amount of info-controls.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #33 on: 25 October, 2008, 03:38:02 pm »
I've got a 200km London-Brighton-London loop which has been ridden several times by myself and others and is considered a pretty good day out. I've throught about permifying it however the market for such a route might be somewhat limited by the fact it takes in ~40km of urban roads and the nominal sign-on point is that well known beauty spot, the garage on A4/A406 roundabout. Its dead handy if you live in Chiswick, though! 

« Reply #34 on: 25 October, 2008, 03:58:51 pm »
The 300k looks interesting :o

Are you running your calendar events again next year Ivo?

The 300 is indeed my most scenic route. Hardly any main roads despite a big town like Liege in the middle of it. Highest point is over 600m.
I'm running 3 calender events next year:
March 28   200km around Aachen
May 2        300km 300km Ardennes Triangle
June 6       600km Around the Eifel