Author Topic: Arresting cognitive decline.  (Read 3324 times)

Chris S

Arresting cognitive decline.
« on: 22 November, 2016, 06:15:43 pm »
Apropos not much, I found this an interesting read:

http://www.aging-us.com/article/NjJf3fWGKw4e99CyC/text

Lots of anecdata, and sadly - any proper investigation would require money that only Big Pharma or heavily lobbied Governments would be able to come up, and there's nothing in this for them; if you believe the Big Food/Big Pharma "make us sick, keep us sick" conspiracy.

For my part, I'm playing with intermittent fasting again, as well as keeping the diet low-carb more of the time than not, and getting some exercise.

LMT

Re: Arresting cognitive decline.
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2016, 08:56:44 pm »
Who would have thought it, a healthy balanced diet, walking the dog and a decent nights sleep helps with your memory.

Riveting brao, keep banging that keto drum...bong da bong da bong bong bong.

« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2016, 02:06:48 am »
Shame that paper doesn't posit a link between diet and exercise, and improved manners and social skills, otherwise it might be worth you following the programme it suggests.

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2016, 02:06:23 pm »
Meanwhile: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38080132

We seem fixated on trying to mend the symptoms of metabolic diseases with drugs, rather than deal with the underlying causes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2016, 02:26:55 pm »
We seem fixated on trying to mend the symptoms of metabolic diseases with drugs, rather than deal with the underlying causes.

For values of 'we' that mostly pertain to boffins who research drugs and their Big Pharma overlords.

Dealing with underlying causes is boring and unprofitable.

LMT

« Reply #5 on: 23 November, 2016, 08:08:40 pm »
Shame that paper doesn't posit a link between diet and exercise, and improved manners and social skills, otherwise it might be worth you following the programme it suggests.

I'm not the one implying following a certain diet which is not the pertinent issue in the paper. Hence my response.

« Reply #6 on: 23 November, 2016, 08:40:00 pm »
I've colleagues who've find evidence of the effect of sleep on memory consolidation, and I have presented data on the effect of sleep on prospective memory. They think exercise could be as good. Loads of evidence from other colleagues on effects of breakfast on cognition.

Personally, I find behaviour more interesting than cognition, so my interests are at the "can you change cognition to change behaviour" level.

That said, Denise Park is doing some cool stuff on cognitive interventions for older adults if it is interesting you.

http://vitallongevity.utdallas.edu/directory/view/category/faculty/denise-park

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 23 November, 2016, 09:12:53 pm »

I'm not the one implying following a certain diet which is not the pertinent issue in the paper. Hence my response.

I was implying following a diet that is explicitly mentioned in the paper. All the successful interventions included reductions in processed carbohydrates and grains.

That said, Denise Park is doing some cool stuff on cognitive interventions for older adults if it is interesting you.

http://vitallongevity.utdallas.edu/directory/view/category/faculty/denise-park

What mostly interests me is avoiding extended morbidity from Dementia or T2DM. I'd also like to see these diseases taken seriously by the governments of modern westernised countries who, if they don't take measures, are likely to preside over bankrupted health systems in the coming decades as a direct result of these diseases. Dementia and T2DM are immensely expensive to deal with when untreated.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 23 November, 2016, 09:20:01 pm »
I'd be very surprised if lifestyle changes made a huge difference to dementia, though T2DM is another matter.

If vascular disease and cancer have not killed you before 85, dementia or just increasing frailty are going to make your last years expensively labour-intensive.

Something has to give.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #9 on: 23 November, 2016, 09:26:20 pm »
I'd be very surprised if lifestyle changes made a huge difference to dementia, though T2DM is another matter.

If vascular disease and cancer have not killed you before 85, dementia or just increasing frailty are going to make your last years expensively labour-intensive.

Something has to give.

My parents are 82 and 81, they've had a healthy lifestyle and exercised regularly.  They have cost the NHS quite a lot of money over the last couple of years and will probably continue to do so.  I was born in the 60s, which had the highest birthrates on record (over 800,000 every year in England and Wales from 1961 to 1968) compared with what are seen as 'high' levels of just under 700,000 now.  If the NHS money is not used up by 2040 the system will go bust soon after.  If you give me decent odds I'll place bets on it to fund my healthcare.   :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 23 November, 2016, 09:35:45 pm »

Something has to give.

My parents are 82 and 81, they've had a healthy lifestyle and exercised regularly.  They have cost the NHS quite a lot of money over the last couple of years and will probably continue to do so.  I was born in the 60s, which had the highest birthrates on record (over 800,000 every year in England and Wales from 1961 to 1968) compared with what are seen as 'high' levels of just under 700,000 now.  If the NHS money is not used up by 2040 the system will go bust soon after.  If you give me decent odds I'll place bets on it to fund my healthcare.   :facepalm:

My parents are 80 and 86; I was born in 1958 so we're fairly similar that way.
I am fortunate that both parents have good cognition. Dad's getting frail; Mum's NHS cost has been minimal - her dislocated shoulder a fortnight ago doesn't add up to much.
But they are not immortal and we don't know what's round the corner.

LMT

« Reply #11 on: 23 November, 2016, 10:06:58 pm »

I was implying following a diet that is explicitly mentioned in the paper. All the successful interventions included reductions in processed carbohydrates and grains.

Going low carb is not the same as reducing processed carbs, which is what you mentioned in your OP. The irony being of course that all the subjects in the paper which you quote increased fruit consumption - which of course are carbs, good riddance to AD as I make another banana smoothie.