Author Topic: tyres question  (Read 1780 times)

tyres question
« on: November 25, 2016, 05:44:39 pm »
Whats your favorite 700x28 tyres.
need to be fast fairly good puncture proof and look good. 8)

Re: tyres question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 03:44:25 pm »
Schwalbe's Durano. The regular ones, not the + or DD.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 04:33:45 pm »
thanks for that :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 04:39:09 pm »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 04:40:40 pm »
Per tyre, not per bike.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 04:54:37 pm »
ah hah  so i could load a small tractor if that's the case.  ;)

cheers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 10:31:45 pm »
Most bikes don't have 50:50 weight distribution when the rider is on them. 35:65 is pretty common.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

dim

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 07:10:57 am »
for durability, grip and puncture resistance: Schwalbe Durano Plus (on my daily commuter)

on my 'best bike' for fast weekend rides: Continental Grand Prix 4000 sII

I have a pair of Continental Grand Prix 4 seasons on another bike, and have mixed feelings so far.... when I bought the bike, it had a pair of the 4 seasons, and I rode loads of km without a puncture. I recently added a new pair of the 4 seasons (the new ones are different to the older ones) .... 25km and a puncture (small flint of glass) .... maybe it was just bad luck

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 07:39:06 pm »
for durability, grip and puncture resistance: Schwalbe Durano Plus (on my daily commuter)

on my 'best bike' for fast weekend rides: Continental Grand Prix 4000 sII

I have a pair of Continental Grand Prix 4 seasons on another bike, and have mixed feelings so far.... when I bought the bike, it had a pair of the 4 seasons, and I rode loads of km without a puncture. I recently added a new pair of the 4 seasons (the new ones are different to the older ones) .... 25km and a puncture (small flint of glass) .... maybe it was just bad luck

I second the Grand Prix 4000 suggestion, excellent tyres.
Glamping and Holiday slave. Cycling lover.

bhoot

• Mrs RRtY
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 07:57:17 pm »
Was Marathon Supremes, but sadly they seem to have been discontinued in 28s.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 08:52:25 pm »
Schwalbe One tubeless

dim

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 03:36:55 pm »
I follow a few guys on Strava who speak highly of Vittoria Rubino Pro G+ Folding Graphene Tyres .... these guys commute approx 50km per day throughout the year along the cyclepath between St Ives and Cambridge

pretty cheap aswell (approx £21 each):

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-pro-g-folding-graphene-tyre/

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 08:33:36 pm »
Schwalbe's Durano. The regular ones, not the + or DD.
They don't take much pressure, as I found when I pumped them up to 160psi with gay abandon and they blew off the rim  :facepalm:  On checking the sidewall, a mere 110psi is the maximum for the 25mm variety,

I'm used to Vredestein Fortezza TriComp, which will happily take 185psi and have always been totally reliable.  They are forty quid each now, though  :(
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 04:41:23 pm »
Rear Durano now in the bin after it blew off in the sun today despite not being pumped more than 110psi.. That's three inner tubes wasted and means I could have bought a Fortezza Quattro for the same outlay.  Pile of shite.  The folding ones might be better - this was a wire-on.

Worst of all, where it first blew off it seemed to get ragged around the bead, and I think that's where it went the second and third times.  You don't want that to happen on a front tyre when riding.

The MINIMUM pressure of the Fortezzas is higher than the MAXIMUM pressure of a Durano.  They're just far too loose and don't hold the rim properly.
Never tell me the odds.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 05:22:28 pm »
I see that Michelin Pro Race Endurance are available in 28mm flavour
I've not tried these but have some of the 25mm ones and they are just fine

Previously I have used in 28mm various tyres which are not now made.  The 28mm Schwalbe Ultremo (not a "puncture proof" one) and the 28mm Schwalbe Marathon Supreme were stand out good.
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 06:22:57 pm »
For grip, toughness and price in an all-round road tyre, I've not found better than the Rubino Pro.  I've not tried the G+ versions yet but I will soon - a pair of 28s are winging their way to me to take me on this summer's Scandinavian tour.
Latest tour journal: Bucharest to Berlin

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 09:26:07 pm »
I'm used to Vredestein Fortezza TriComp, which will happily take 185psi and have always been totally reliable.

But what’s the point of such pressures on the road?

On low-cost tyres, what about the Continental Ultra Sport II? It intrigues me because it’s cheap in both wired and folding versions, and yet it tests well for rolling resistance. This trick appears to have been enabled by ditching any sort of puncture-resistant layer.

dim

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 08:03:44 am »
I used a pair of Continental Grand Prix 4 seasons over winter on my daily commuter and was well impressed .... zero punctures, and roll ok, and grip well

I really keen to get a pair of Specialized Turbo Cotton tyres for my "best bike" (for faster rides on good roads) .... not cheap though (£100 a pair), and they don't last as long as others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynD0Rwc3Ius