Author Topic: Schwalbe marathon Greenguard 700 x 32  (Read 4913 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Schwalbe marathon Greenguard 700 x 32
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 09:56:26 pm »

So what made you change to Marathon greenguard, from your Marathon Supreme?

I've currently got marathon supreme on my tourer/commuter (as a replacement for 32mm marathon greenguard which I found rather harsh).

Basically, because I had 3 visits in my Supremes , in a short space of time, ( none in the similar Spicers ) and because I found them a tad slippy on the wet skoggy roads, and on wet rough stuff.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2019, 09:00:24 am »

I've currently got marathon supreme on my tourer/commuter (as a replacement for 32mm marathon greenguard which I found rather harsh).

Basically, because I had 3 visits in my Supremes , in a short space of time, ( none in the similar Spicers ) and because I found them a tad slippy on the wet skoggy roads, and on wet rough stuff.

Interesting. I'm happy with the Marathon Supreme on my Dawes Horizon at the moment, but I suspect come autumn time I'll switch back to marathon greenguard as some tread is useful for skoggy roads etc. What mileage did you get from the marathon supreme?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2019, 09:19:53 am »

Interesting. I'm happy with the Marathon Supreme on my Dawes Horizon at the moment, but I suspect come autumn time I'll switch back to marathon greenguard as some tread is useful for skoggy roads etc. What mileage did you get from the marathon supreme?

If you scroll down the reviews section, I have similar reviews on Supreme and Spicer tyres. I took the supremes off, and still have them.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2019, 07:08:55 pm »
IMG_0798 by mark tilley, on Flickr

was wheeling Olive out of le shed, for the commute, and noticed the 'tell tale' sign of a white thorn head, in between the tread. Removed said thorn..............and..........................well.................................NON! O:-)............phew!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2019, 03:45:40 pm »
IMG_0917 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Rear ( was front )

IMG_0919 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Front  ( was rear )

Now both covered in excess of 10,000km, without a ...erm... you know...one of them.

BrianI

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2019, 04:14:24 pm »
Will probably be refitting my marathon greenguards seeing as it's that time of year again! Although apparently the 37mm wide greenguards are less harsh than the 32mm?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2019, 05:33:20 pm »
just bought a replacement 32mm set, 'for the cupboard'  from Fawkes cycles, £35 pair, free delivery   ;)

BrianI

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2019, 04:27:17 pm »
just bought a replacement 32mm set, 'for the cupboard'  from Fawkes cycles, £35 pair, free delivery   ;)

My 32mm greenguards are in pretty good condition still, so I'll probably just stick with them :-)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2019, 08:48:34 pm »

My 32mm greenguards are in pretty good condition still, so I'll probably just stick with them :-)

Yes, I'll probably wait until end of January to fit mine,  should have about 14,000km on them by then. Early Feb is 'winter Hostelling 'Ruff Stuff' weekend'   and a tinsey winsey bit of tread might be nice.   ::-)

BrianI

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2019, 08:10:23 pm »
That's my 32mm Marathon Greenguards refitted!  :thumbsup:

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2019, 09:48:13 pm »
I'm eyeing up 32mm Marathon supremes as the next set of tyres. They're just tubeless marathons from what I can see. And they're not even that dear.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2019, 11:08:08 pm »
I'm eyeing up 32mm Marathon supremes as the next set of tyres. They're just tubeless marathons from what I can see. And they're not even that dear.

But, they attract much more frequent visitations, 3 in a short space of time, on virtually new tyres, hence my swapping to GG. Haven't used the supremes since, must get round to flogging them .

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2019, 11:49:01 pm »
I've had numerous pairs of Marathon Greenguards (or just Marathons as they were before being (slightly) renamed) over the years, usually in 35C but also used 32C and 38C. I must say the pair I currently have on my tourer (35C) have been useless. They've done about 3000 miles and I've had at least half a dozen p*nctures in that time. They are full of massive holes now and I can't trust them - especially after having two visits in two days the other week (1 front, 1 rear). Never had this many flats before with these tyres.

I shall order some new tyres soon and I'm thinking of moving up a notch to the "Dual guard" Marathon Tour. Maybe a nice chunky 38C. See how I get on with those...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2019, 08:52:13 am »
The GGs are different from the previous marathon hs368? I had a pair of lightly worn ones and also got one front and one rear visit in the space of a few miles. I still have those as well, but luckily the GGs seem to be excellent in that dept. When I fit my new set, it will interesting to keep a log on those as well, as visitations are based on luck as well as tyre construction. Once I had fitted some Specialized Nimbus Armadillos, for a hosteling trip in winter, @ Hathersage. Came out of the car park on first ride and pssst!  I had run over an electricians cable clip, and of course these have small  masonary nails. Luck really.

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2019, 12:40:10 pm »

But, they attract much more frequent visitations, 3 in a short space of time, on virtually new tyres, hence my swapping to GG. Haven't used the supremes since, must get round to flogging them .
As usual such things are often down to luck and usage.  In all the testing the Supremes come out pretty well for puncture resistance, I've had about 8 tyres and several have worn out without ever suffering and with those that have it hasn't been frequent.  They're also a fairly easy on & off tyre (On my rims anyway) and the smooth tread usually helps to spot what's gone through.  I'm also working my way through a stock of standard, pre Greenguard, Marathons, they last longer, don't feel as nice but I haven't noticed that they puncture less, had one Friday (Third puncture of the year on all tyres and around 5,000 miles) 

BrianI

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2019, 08:57:23 pm »
50km ride today on the refitted 32mm Marathon Greenguards. 2/3rds of the route was on cycle track (The Dunfermline to Alloa path). I certainly was happier having tread on the Greenguards, vs the slickness of the Marathon Supreme. Ok, so they are a heavier tyre, but my 2008 Dawes Horizon isn't built for speed anyway...  :thumbsup: