Author Topic: Cat-eye bar-end mirror  (Read 324 times)

Cat-eye bar-end mirror
« on: October 15, 2019, 07:28:37 pm »
Yep, a bar-end mirror.   Probably not cool, but, whatever...  ;) 

I'd never used one before, and so bought a Cateye (BM-45) off amazon, mainly to test for commuting.  Seems well made, compact, optically good (glass mirror), and fairly robust. 

I did think 'I wonder how long it will last', and after a week or so, my bike fell over while propped up (seems to happen to me a lot) - on to weedy verge.  The mirror disk end pinged off somewhere and took a few minutes to find.  The disk is attached to the bar plug by a ball and socket joint - nicely stiff for positioning.  Anyway, I couldn't get it back in, so had to heat the disk socket in some hot air at home and then managed to pop it back on to the ball easily.  Job's a good'un. 

On the road, I find it pretty helpful to glance down very briefly and  quickly see something coming up behind & for me it's a mixture of reasonably light traffic - but vehicles passing at up 60mph, and busy town situation.

edit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CatEye-BM-45-Bike-Mirrors-Black/dp/B011DLUBIK

Amazon pic.

Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

Re: Cat-eye bar-end mirror
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 08:08:12 pm »
On my Moulton road bike with drop bars I use a Blackburn mirror which uses a velcro wrap round the bars. On the Bridgestone Moulton with flat bars I fitted Topeak bar ends with horizontal fold-out mirrors. The latter are very slim but enough to show what is behind.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 08:37:42 pm »
I've had something like this on my commuter for years.

Very useful I reckon. Wouldn't be without it now.
Rust never sleeps

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 08:50:39 pm »
If you take tour bike somewhere where they drive on the right side of the road, swap your mirror over to the left when or before you arrive, to remind you which side of the road to use...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 09:14:31 pm »
If you take tour bike somewhere where they drive on the right side of the road, swap your mirror over to the left when or before you arrive, to remind you which side of the road to use...

Seconded:

(Also required reversing the polarity of the bell mechanism)
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...