Author Topic: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter  (Read 45419 times)

Re: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2016, 01:51:48 pm »
That's good, the D1 frequency monitoring is working correctly. When your USB reader arrives and it's established as being an issue I'll investigate it with you.

« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2016, 06:04:33 pm »
Here's my review

I ordered the unit on Wednesday 7th December and it arrived 2 days later. My present setup is a SP dynamo powering front and rear B&M dynamo powered lights.

1. Fitting

Keeping it simple, I intended to attach it in parallel to the cable powering the lights. I disconnected the lego block and opened it up. I took the cable ends of the light and the Igaro and twisted them together intending to insert them into the lego block but the holes were too small to take a pair of cables. So I took a 5 cm piece of household 2-core cable and a small connector block so the lego block was connected to one end and and the 2 pairs of wires connected to the block at the other.

The Igaro cable was then run up the fork leg alongside the light cable, attached at the fork crown with the light cable. The Igaro unit was attached to the head tube with cable ties and the USB socket to the stem with another tie.

All in, about 30 minutes work.

2. Using

I took the bike for a ride to try out the charging capabilities. I tried 3 devices:

a. Mobile phone (iPhone) I plugged in the phone before setting off and I noticed that it started charging the phone almost immediately at the speed of 7-8 miles and hour. I don't mount my phone on the handlebars and don't use it when riding, it normally just stays in my pocket or in the handlebar bag so I didn't charge it for long, just enough to see if it worked. It did.

b. Garmin 810 GPS Next, I plugged it into the Garmin. This is probably the use I would find the Igaro most useful for. Previously, I have used an external power supply connected to the Garmin when I expected to use it on a long ride, or a night ride as I like to have the backlight on all the time during the dark. The 810 continues to work normally whilst connected to power. The Garmin was not fully charged when I connected to the USB socket and I was pleased to that every few minutes, the % charged would rise by 1% and otherwise worked normally.

c. External battery Finally, I used the Igaro to charge the external battery that I used to power the Garmin previously. This is a small, lipstick sized, battery designed for mobile phone charging. Once connected to the USB port, the charging light on the battery started flashing which means it was charging though I have no way of telling how effective it was.

Conclusion

Overall, a nice piece of kit. Very small and light and clearly does the job. The intensity of the B&M lights did not seem to diminish whilst charging over the USB. This is just my judgement and not the results of any measurements. The criticisms I have are minor. They are:

1. Some indication that the unit is powered would be helpful, like a LED on the unit body

2. A cover for the USB socket when not in use would be useful. I shall make one out of a piece of inner tube or something.

3. Piggybacking the Igaro cable onto the light cable is a bit messy. I think I'll make some sort of matchbox-sized junction box to mount on or near the head tube to take a single input cable from the dynamo and split it to the USB and lights.

4. I'm still unsure about the heat issue. Whilst on my test ride, the Igaro remained stone cold (it was 7 degrees today) but I would prefer to put the unit into some sort of container, maybe combined with the junction box to keep it out of harms way. But that's for another day.

Overall, a nice piece of kit and thanks to Igaro for providing a unit at a discount.

I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2016, 07:10:32 pm »
I think I'll make some sort of matchbox-sized junction box to mount on or near the head tube to take a single input cable from the dynamo and split it to the USB and lights.

I had something like that in mind as well. It also occurred to me that you could put a switch in the junction, to toggle the power supply between light and D1.

« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2016, 10:05:26 am »
Worth trying, make some steam and then connect the D1 USB to your micro USB (you can leave them loosely fitted and push together while riding).
Tried this yesterday.  Even connecting on a long downhill (35kph) made no appreciable difference to the charging current reported by the app.   

It also occurred to me that you could put a switch in the junction, to toggle the power supply between light and D1.
No need, IME the D1 doesn't take enough power to affect the lights.  You can run them together.

« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2016, 11:28:36 am »
Worth trying, make some steam and then connect the D1 USB to your micro USB (you can leave them loosely fitted and push together while riding).
Tried this yesterday.  Even connecting on a long downhill (35kph) made no appreciable difference to the charging current reported by the app.   

It also occurred to me that you could put a switch in the junction, to toggle the power supply between light and D1.
No need, IME the D1 doesn't take enough power to affect the lights.  You can run them together.

On Ampere: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-ampere-charging-meter-t3012890

"The displayed current is an average value from 50 measurements minus the 10 upper values and the 10 lower values. The displayed current can be shaky or unstable or even just zero which means, that the Android system provides such unstable values. Some phones, like the Nexus 4 reports such unstable wide spreading readings when charged with a low current charger (e.g. 500mA), that even the average value is just a joke."

Smaller USB devices take less current so Garmin GPS and lights may work well together. Too many variables to give a boolean answer.

« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2016, 11:47:20 am »

1. Some indication that the unit is powered would be helpful, like a LED on the unit body

2. A cover for the USB socket when not in use would be useful. I shall make one out of a piece of inner tube or something.

3. Piggybacking the Igaro cable onto the light cable is a bit messy. I think I'll make some sort of matchbox-sized junction box to mount on or near the head tube to take a single input cable from the dynamo and split it to the USB and lights.

4. I'm still unsure about the heat issue. Whilst on my test ride, the Igaro remained stone cold (it was 7 degrees today) but I would prefer to put the unit into some sort of container, maybe combined with the junction box to keep it out of harms way. But that's for another day.

1. it would complicate the design, necessitate sealing around the LED to ensure waterproofing, and you wouldn't be able to see it anyway?

2. not recommended, see previous post or FAQ on why this may make it worse.

3. wiring is outside the scope of the Igaro design (agreed, shame Shimano/SP don't use SON 4.8mm fixings). Take a look at double bullet connectors for coupling under the fork crown.

4. it's not an issue unless you insulate the D1 (inside a junction box) and go really fast for an extended period of time without a USB load attached and with lights off - in which case the D1 could fail. This hasn't occurred and won't occur if the installation instructions are followed. Buyer beware!

You may wish to check our Facebook thread for the internal mounting bracket prototype - it's made from aluminium to counter the lack of air flow.

Inline USB switch (no idea how waterproof it'll be): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252404016301

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2016, 12:12:01 pm »
1. Fitting

Keeping it simple, I intended to attach it in parallel to the cable powering the lights. I disconnected the lego block and opened it up. I took the cable ends of the light and the Igaro and twisted them together intending to insert them into the lego block but the holes were too small to take a pair of cables. So I took a 5 cm piece of household 2-core cable and a small connector block so the lego block was connected to one end and and the 2 pairs of wires connected to the block at the other.

It would be really useful if some clever clogs, perhaps the nice people at Igaro, could come up with a neat solution to the above without the Igaro owner having to fettle stuff.  In fairness I don't think it just the D1 which requires fettling if you want to run two things off it (like lights and a device wots being charged).  Quite often when you read folks discussing their dynamo set up references get made to soldering irons and junction boxes etc.  This is all well and good if you have a soldering iron and know what to do with it.  Fuckwits like me don't!

What I like about the Luxos is you don't need to fettle anything!  And even a muppet like me managed to install it and get it charging and powering a rear light - it was one of my proudest moments  O:-) :thumbsup: ;D

« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2016, 12:50:55 pm »
Review Part 1

My Current Set up:
SP PD8 Dynamo Hub, B&M IQ-X front and B&M Secula Rear

I received my Igaro on Saturday and as I had committed to being about the house I decided mounting it would take precedence over my long list of chores.

As others have said the unit is small and light, I like the overall look of the unit and it could potentially fit in a lot of places on the bike. My use for the charger is really only to keep a battery bank charged which I intend to keep in my saddle bag so my plan was to mount the Igaro on the rear of my seat post. My initial intention had been to snip the wire running to the rear light and solder in a wire that would run up to the seat post from the bottom bracket. As I was going through this I realised this would not work if I had the light switched off!

I ended up snipping the main wire from the light to the Dynamo hub  about 3/4 of the way up the fork and soldering in the additional wire from there (I am not gifted with excess talents in the soldering department but I can solder a few wires together). I re-taped the wire to the forks and ran it up through the bracket of the light and then followed the run of the rear light wire along the down tube and up the seat tube.

The Igaro sits nicely on the back of the seat post and the wire and USB plug can just reach around into the Super C  Audax saddle bag.

I tested it briefly with a ride around the supermarket car park after closing time and I was surprised how slow I could be moving for the charging to start. It was charging my Galaxy S5 at all times while I was moving and it made no difference if I had my lights on or not.

I will update this later in the week once I have had a longer ride in more 'real world' conditions trying to charge the 25,000 mah power bank which is completely drained at home.

Enjoying a quiet year

« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2016, 06:55:47 pm »
1. Fitting

It would be really useful if some clever clogs, perhaps the nice people at Igaro, could come up with a neat solution to the above without the Igaro owner having to fettle stuff.  In fairness I don't think it just the D1 which requires fettling if you want to run two things off it (like lights and a device wots being charged).  Quite often when you read folks discussing their dynamo set up references get made to soldering irons and junction boxes etc.  This is all well and good if you have a soldering iron and know what to do with it.  Fuckwits like me don't!

What I like about the Luxos is you don't need to fettle anything!  And even a muppet like me managed to install it and get it charging and powering a rear light - it was one of my proudest moments  O:-) :thumbsup: ;D

Perhaps a 3.2mm piggyback connector to connect to the front light AC in? We fit the connectors properly (crimped, soldered, wrapped) which would mean a third product line to go alongside the Shimano/SP and SON offerings. It could be time to break out the D1 power cable with a 2.1mm power socket to handle the Shimano/SP and SON and B&M 3.2mm spade connections people require.

« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2016, 07:07:43 pm »
Review Part 1

My Current Set up:

I received my Igaro on Saturday and as I had committed to being about the house I decided mounting it would take precedence over my long list of chores.

As others have said the unit is small and light, I like the overall look of the unit and it could potentially fit in a lot of places on the bike. My use for the charger is really only to keep a battery bank charged which I intend to keep in my saddle bag so my plan was to mount the Igaro on the rear of my seat post. My initial intention had been to snip the wire running to the rear light and solder in a wire that would run up to the seat post from the bottom bracket. As I was going through this I realised this would not work if I had the light switched off!

I ended up snipping the main wire from the light to the Dynamo hub  about 3/4 of the way up the fork and soldering in the additional wire from there (I am not gifted with excess talents in the soldering department but I can solder a few wires together). I re-taped the wire to the forks and ran it up through the bracket of the light and then followed the run of the rear light wire along the down tube and up the seat tube.

The Igaro sits nicely on the back of the seat post and the wire and USB plug can just reach around into the Super C  Audax saddle bag.

I tested it briefly with a ride around the supermarket car park after closing time and I was surprised how slow I could be moving for the charging to start. It was charging my Galaxy S5 at all times while I was moving and it made no difference if I had my lights on or not.

I will update this later in the week once I have had a longer ride in more 'real world' conditions trying to charge the 25,000 mah power bank which is completely drained at home.

Having lights on may appear to make no difference but it will. Some USB devices will turn off, others will charge very slowly by switching to 100mA USBv1 load - which will actually result in a slow discharge with the screen on. It also depends on how bright the lights are.

There's no free power I'm afraid and modern front LED lamps tend to suck it up. Today I ran an Xperia Z3 at a 0.95A charge rate at 16kph and it was impossible to continue charging it with a 30lux front light on (and a 0.5W rear).

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2016, 07:09:08 pm »
1. Fitting

Perhaps a 3.2mm piggyback connector to connect to the front light AC in? We fit the connectors properly (crimped, soldered, wrapped) which would mean a third product line to go alongside the Shimano/SP and SON offerings. It could be time to break out the D1 power cable with a 2.1mm power socket to handle the Shimano/SP and SON and B&M 3.2mm spade connections people require.

I have no idea what this means ^^^. Show me some pictures!

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2016, 07:13:05 pm »
Sorry to ask stupid question - do you supply a connectors with a piggy back spades for the SON option?

« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2016, 07:20:12 pm »
Sorry to ask stupid question - do you supply a connectors with a piggy back spades for the SON option?

We do, if you go to the website and "Purchase" at the bottom click on 'connection' link.

« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2016, 07:27:07 pm »
1. Fitting

I have no idea what this means ^^^. Show me some pictures!

Users asked for;

1. Shimano/SP long wire (join at dynamo)
2. SON piggyback spades long wire (join at dynamo, plus easy light join)

and now...

3. B&M 3.2mm piggyback spades on short cable (D1 joins at front light, dynamo connects at front light).

Rather than having three product lines (we have two already) a breakaway cable like that attached would allow for various leads to be made up and a single product line. It sounds like the way forward.

« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2016, 09:36:59 pm »
I'm glad I haven't tried to fit my D1 yet, as I now realise I'm getting rather confused working out how it will fit with the front and rear lights. At the moment, I have a SON 28 in the front wheel, and a B&M IQ-X front light (with handlebar bracket) and Secula Plus rear light to fit, together with the D1. I want to have the D1 located at the rear of the bike. I think I need to do the following, but have some questions:

1. Connect IQ-X to SON 28, and cut the wire somewhere convenient near the head tube
2. Fit some sort of connector block, with input from wire connected to dynamo, and 2 outputs; front light and D1
3. Fit rear light cable to output from IQ-X
4. Run rear light cable and D1 cables together down down tube, with D1 cable going up seat tube, and rear light cable going to rear axle and up mudguard stay

Assuming that is sensible, my questions are:

A. What connector block should I use, and what size? As it is at the front of the bike, something with a tidy appearance is preferred.
B. Does the connector block need to be waterproofed - might also make for a neater appearance?
C. What purpose would the waterproof screw have ... could that be the connector block? Or would the waterproof screw just be between the D1 and the connector block, to aid removal of either the D1 or the front light separately?

Sorry if these are noddy questions, but my wiring knowledge is on a par with Oscar's dad - except I do have a soldering iron and can use it.

« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2016, 01:07:42 am »
Quick n dirty review, hopefully more to follow at the weekend after a longer ride.

It arrived very quickly - ordered Friday PM and arrived Saturday morning.

It's very compact. I've used a couple of others and they've been pretty bulky. I hated the Dahon Biologic Reecharge (full rant here), and I've been quite happy with a B&M EWerk, though it's overkill for my current purposes, which are charging a Garmin and a phone, plus occasionally a cache battery.

I wired the Igaro to the rear light output from my front light just so I could trial it on this morning's ride, and tucked it away in my top tube bag. Not ideal, but it sat there quite happily, and on the way back I used it to charge my phone, which task it performed quite satisfactorily.

So far, I like how compact and simple it is. When I get chance I'll attach it somewhere unobtrusive for a fuller test.

« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2016, 09:04:02 am »
Review Part 1

My Current Set up:

Having lights on may appear to make no difference but it will. Some USB devices will turn off, others will charge very slowly by switching to 100mA USBv1 load - which will actually result in a slow discharge with the screen on. It also depends on how bright the lights are.

There's no free power I'm afraid and modern front LED lamps tend to suck it up. Today I ran an Xperia Z3 at a 0.95A charge rate at 16kph and it was impossible to continue charging it with a 30lux front light on (and a 0.5W rear).
Thanks for that, makes sense.

My usage will pretty much be to charge a Cache Battery in the saddle bag which I will then in turn use to charge the phone as the need arises. The cache battery will be used to top up my phone and emergency lighting as required so as long as the Igaro D1 can put something back into the Cache Battery during a days riding I will be more than happy that it serves the purpose.
Enjoying a quiet year

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2016, 01:59:22 pm »
I hated the Dahon Biologic Reecharge (full rant here)

My rant's here.  Shoddy piece of crap.

I've been quite happy with a B&M EWerk, though it's overkill for my current purposes, which are charging a Garmin and a phone, plus occasionally a cache battery.

I've got a USB-Werk, after giving up on developing my own design any further (I had a working prototype that was admirably efficient, but I'm rubbish at mechanical design, and in the time I'd procrastinated over how best to make the thing small, robust and waterproof, B&M had come out with a decent solution that was much cheaper than I'd ever be able to manage as a one-off).  It's worked well enough for keeping a cache battery topped up while touring, and doesn't need to be out in the airflow (it lives in my luggage with other electronics and valuables, and I plug it into a Tamiya connector on the bike when I'm using it).

The real advantage of the Igaro as I see it is for people who want to power an internal-battery GPS (or rechargeable light, or smartphone doing navigation duty) from the dynamo directly.  It's small and neat, which is ideal for semi-permanent mounting somewhere on the bike.

To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2016, 05:36:44 pm »
I should mention the USB Doctor inline voltage/current readers have around a 0.3v voltage drop over what they report, ideally the D1 voltage going out is 4.75v. This can go lower to aid low speed performance as most USB devices are happy with a few hundred millivolts out of spec, but with the USB doctor on top that may push it too far and cause the USB device (phone etc) to reset.

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2016, 02:05:26 pm »
I received my charging unit last week. Since then I've been carrying out some tests over the same distance.

1. Phone on normal mode - charged up 16% in about 55 mins
2. Phone on normal mode with gps running on full brightness  - no charge
3. Phone on flight mode with gps running with a low screen - charged at 15%

I was also running my 40lux dynamo light which at all times was dimmed by about 30% ( including downhill) .

Fitting, I bored out the connector hole to allow the cables in parallel , this took no effort hardly needed a drill. I didn't fix to toptube  etc but cable-tied it to a an existing cable  , which I thought worked  well as the unit is unobstrusive .

My dynamo is old got it in 2009 a cheap one which may explain the light dimming. That said  I was happy with the amount of charge I got and can easily see this working with my Garmin so that at night I would be happy with the  7 or so hours of true darkness for the Garmin to cope on its own. To top up during the day.

In  conclusion.

Good for charging , my not be ideal for both lighting and charging if needing light to see by ( light was fine for commuting)
I'd rather have a bored out connector block ( £ 2.00 from spa) than the form mounts which never worked(tape riped foam)
Packaging , could be a bit more professional ( hand written address, could mistake as brought from ebay ;-) )
Instructions , might be worth a pictorial diagram for those not familiar with the terms parallel etc
Will send pictures as I thought some of the unit was unduly exposed to elements.

All in all a thoroughly decent bit of kit.

« Reply #120 on: December 14, 2016, 08:36:17 pm »
I finally extracted my igaro d1 from the post office today having missed it's delivery last Friday and the sorting office mistakenly sending it to my local post office for me to collect, very kind of them but it's shut by the time I get home...

None of that is anything to do with igaro and opening the box everything is looks good.  As with last review I slightly opened up the holes in the connector block on my sp dynamo.  I used a 3 mm drill bit in my hand, no drill, and it took just a couple of minutes.  Twisted ends with light cable, reconnected block and plugged my phone (Sony M2 aqua) in and it charged spinning the front wheel by hand from about 10 km/h.  Turned lights on (cyo 60 lux and secula rear) and tried again, same thing happened although I'll expect a slower charging rate.

A couple of zip ties on the fork leg to keep the wire tidy and the device tucked between the back of the bar bag and the part of the bracket that is screwed into the bag and it's ready for a road test on the commute tomorrow.  I did try a couple of other mounting positions - the d1 is just too long to fit flush under my stem and on the side of the headtube would leave a loop of wire sticking out.  I may well mount it there and shorten the cables, but will see if any other options occur to me first.  Even with a bit of faffing over this it was no more than 20 minutes from opening the box to being ready.

I'll add some charging rates once I've ridden with it, but so far so good.

Edit: on commute today charged from about 8-9 km/h.  Phone battery charged at about 15% per hour with lights on, according to t'internet it's a 2300 maH battery inside the phone so if I understand it right, the average charging rate was very roughly 350mA.   I make that about half the dynamo output so I'm expecting some dimming of the lights, but the 60 lux cyo is not needed at full power on the lit roads.  I'll check another time how it affects lighting in dark country lanes. Charging was only interupted at very low speeds (stopping for junctions) and stayed on as I climbed a short 10% hill at 12 or 13 km/h.

« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2016, 03:27:05 pm »
I've now got my multimeter (the portapow one recommended by Kim upthread) and inital try out from other power sources tends to confirm the charging/discharging numbers given by the Ampere app.  However further testing of the maximum amperage available from the D1 will have to wait, as the dyno-equipped bike is poorly at the moment (lower headset sealed bearing suddenly started spewing brown gunk and is now very notchy)

« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2016, 11:24:23 pm »
Thank you for feedback so far. Improvements which will be actioned are;

1. rubber mounts without stickers
2. larger zip tie
3. power and accessory ports
4. 3x power leads (SON/Shimano/B&M front light)
5. accessories; stability bank, solar panel in

On the topic of amperage there hasn't been any issues reported so far, however in order to keep the D1 as small as possible it may be that there is not enough capacitance (470uF) to ensure stability with some USB devices. The only device that has this exhibited this problem so far is the Sony Z3, while the similar Sony M4 Aqua is fine pulling 4.76V/0.74A at 18kph.

For devices that exhibit the same problem as the Z3 a 20,000uF capacitance bank which will fit up the fork crown will be offered as an accessory. D1's can be retrofitted with an accessory port - details will be on the website in a month's time. With the additional capacitance the Z3 charges at any speed and pulls 4.86V/0.95A at 18kph (Shimano 3N80, 700c).

All measurements are without lights.

Regards, Andrew

« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2016, 11:34:02 pm »
I finally extracted my igaro d1 from the post office today having missed it's delivery last Friday and the sorting office mistakenly sending it to my local post office for me to collect, very kind of them but it's shut by the time I get home...

None of that is anything to do with igaro and opening the box everything is looks good.  As with last review I slightly opened up the holes in the connector block on my sp dynamo.  I used a 3 mm drill bit in my hand, no drill, and it took just a couple of minutes.  Twisted ends with light cable, reconnected block and plugged my phone (Sony M2 aqua) in and it charged spinning the front wheel by hand from about 10 km/h.  Turned lights on (cyo 60 lux and secula rear) and tried again, same thing happened although I'll expect a slower charging rate.

A couple of zip ties on the fork leg to keep the wire tidy and the device tucked between the back of the bar bag and the part of the bracket that is screwed into the bag and it's ready for a road test on the commute tomorrow.  I did try a couple of other mounting positions - the d1 is just too long to fit flush under my stem and on the side of the headtube would leave a loop of wire sticking out.  I may well mount it there and shorten the cables, but will see if any other options occur to me first.  Even with a bit of faffing over this it was no more than 20 minutes from opening the box to being ready.

I'll add some charging rates once I've ridden with it, but so far so good.

Edit: on commute today charged from about 8-9 km/h.  Phone battery charged at about 15% per hour with lights on, according to t'internet it's a 2300 maH battery inside the phone so if I understand it right, the average charging rate was very roughly 350mA.   I make that about half the dynamo output so I'm expecting some dimming of the lights, but the 60 lux cyo is not needed at full power on the lit roads.  I'll check another time how it affects lighting in dark country lanes. Charging was only interupted at very low speeds (stopping for junctions) and stayed on as I climbed a short 10% hill at 12 or 13 km/h.

There is an efficiency drop to convert 5V to Li-ion (4.2V) charging and power is used by the phone at the same time. With a 60 lux light fighting for power, the D1 is performing very well for you.

« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2016, 11:40:29 pm »
I hated the Dahon Biologic Reecharge (full rant here)

My rant's here.  Shoddy piece of crap.

That product is a disgrace.