Author Topic: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter  (Read 46234 times)

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
Re: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 01:56:26 pm »
Actually just in the middle of deciding a unit like this or a mega power pack . I have always preferred dynamo lights over battery ones , on long distance. This could be the answer, and at this price I am willing to have a go ..........so yes can I have one

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 02:02:34 pm »
count me in ...I have a front dynamo hub fitted to my Thorn audax bike so this could be ideal for next years Wessex SR and LEL!  :thumbsup:
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 02:10:29 pm »
I'd like to give one of these a go, I'd have to come up with a plug arrangement as I have a couple bikes I'd like to swap it between but generally for keeping my gadgets charged up on those long commutes between work and morris dancing and work and climbing it sounds handy.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 04:03:37 pm »
Go on then - I've tried a few of these, but there's a space on at least one bike.

MalRees

• Hayes - centre of no known universe
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 05:21:38 pm »
Yes please. I'll be able to compare it with the USB Werk on the Moulton TSR.

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 06:28:27 pm »
Me too!  :)
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 06:32:10 pm »
Wires all out of one end is impossible due to space constraints within the D1 body.

Do you have a minimum bend radius for the cables, or is it just a matter of avoiding kinking?

No minimum bend, let's say 180 degree within 20mm^2. As with all small core cable shouldn't be continuously flexed (unsure what have you in mind).

Really just picking up on zigzag's point and wondering how sharp a bend was possible to get the cables pointing the same way, if that's what the installation called for. 

Sounds like 'be sensible' is the answer ...

Socks

• FFCT rally, France 2012
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2016, 07:06:35 pm »
Yes for me if the discount is still available.  I'm planning a ride across France (Calais to Montpellier) in June, this would be an ideal solution to keep my phone and garmin charged up.

Phil W

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 07:20:44 pm »
Having charged stuff off my Dynamo for 6 years I've gone the opposite way.  Just using Dynamo for lights now. My GPS uses AA and the phone lasts the longest of audaxes. When touring I can charge the phone at stops. Will be interested to see the reviews.

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2016, 07:43:05 pm »
Don't forget everyone, as part of the deal you must be able to post a review within three weeks of receiving it. If you don't own a dynamo or have no time before your audax/tour come summer - please reconsider - it's not just a discount as they're being offered below cost here.

Thanks! Andrew

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 07:56:36 pm »
Yes please! Daily dynamo hub user and will happily post a review.  :thumbsup:

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2016, 08:09:25 pm »
I'm interested - I have a Shimano dynohub on my solo touring bike and would be interested in having a charging facility (principally for phone) when cycle camping etc. When do you think we would receive them?
Am I right in thinking that for the purpose of the initial review I could just connect it and pop it in my bar bag along with the phone? I'm happy to have the temporary restriction of needing the bar bag pending a better set up later.

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2016, 08:29:25 pm »
I'm interested - I have a Shimano dynohub on my solo touring bike and would be interested in having a charging facility (principally for phone) when cycle camping etc. When do you think we would receive them?
Am I right in thinking that for the purpose of the initial review I could just connect it and pop it in my bar bag along with the phone? I'm happy to have the temporary restriction of needing the bar bag pending a better set up later.

Delivery 1-2 working day(s) (UK). Dispatch 0-1 working day(s). Stock is plentiful.

Re: temporary bag

Short answer yes, but read "Will the D1 heat up if I place it in a bag?" in the FAQ to ensure you understand the condition in which this is no and ensure it doesn't occur until the unit is mounted as per the instructions.

https://www.igaro.com/d1/faq

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2016, 09:00:24 pm »
Typo/style suggestion in one of those FAQs ...

How theftproof is the D1 / should I remove or risk it?

The D1 is very small and discrete and it's mounted in an unsuspecting place (not the top tube or side of bike) where it's unlikely to be noticed. Most dynamo hub power converters are mistaking as a powerbank but the D1 is obviously too small to be one. These two points reduce the exposure of the D1 being stolen however it is up to you to weigh up the risk.

discreet
unobtrusive
can be mistaken for
likelihood

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2016, 10:16:20 am »
Yes please! 
I have 2 dynohub setups, a 2nd gen Luxos U / SON Delux on my Audax bike and a Luxos B / Shimano DN-3H80 on my commuter.   Planning on trying this on both setups,  would be handy to have a charger on the commuter,  but would also be good to compare with my increasingly temperamental Luxos U. 
This sounds like a good deal.   Exactly how much will we pay?
Eddington: 106 Miles,  148km

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2016, 11:31:45 am »
Looking at your site I can't see a comment or voucher code ? So how does discount work ?

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2016, 01:42:27 pm »
jsabine -> thanks for the heads up on that particular FAQ entry.

OK lets begin early to save on the logistics, if your name is down here as wanting a unit send me a PM, I'll generate a unique discount code which will give you 50% off the unit price. You may only order 1 unit and you may only order once  ;). On the bottom of the web page stick the code in "Offer Code" and the price will update. It may take up to 24hrs before the code activates but hopefully it'll be much sooner.

Please make sure you've read https://www.igaro.com/d1 so that you're comfortable with the specification - and no, you can't power a hairdryer with it.  :thumbsup:

Many of you are asking if you can power a USB and lights at the same time, this depends on a) dynamo wattage (greater as speed increases) b) light wattage (newer LED lights take almost all the power) and c) USB device (Garmin etc don't take much power, a large powerbank will). The D1 consumes no power if no USB device is plugged in. More on this and other FAQ's here: https://www.igaro.com/d1/faq

Regards, Andrew

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 01:48:28 pm »
Yes please! 
I have 2 dynohub setups, a 2nd gen Luxos U / SON Delux on my Audax bike and a Luxos B / Shimano DN-3H80 on my commuter.   Planning on trying this on both setups,  would be handy to have a charger on the commuter,  but would also be good to compare with my increasingly temperamental Luxos U. 
This sounds like a good deal.   Exactly how much will we pay?

£44.47 inc VAT & postage (UK) - Shimano, SP

SON is about £1 more - you get piggyback connectors crimped, soldered and heat shrink wrapped.

International postage is £1-2 more.

KieronY

• N007
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2016, 02:30:39 pm »
Add me to the list. Looking to replace a different set-up that has become unreliable.

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2016, 03:46:22 pm »
Andrew, I have a Sunup EcoDyn dynamo which produces DC - would you device work with this?

The Sunup Eco spoke dynamo is based on a three phase generator unlike standard hub dynamos which are single phase. The advantages of three phase generators are that they:

•     are inherently more efficient than one phase generators;
  •     produce more stable electricity (lights will not flicker at low speeds); and
  •     produce direct current (DC) as opposed to the alternating current (AC).

Russell

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2016, 04:52:54 pm »
Andrew, I have a Sunup EcoDyn dynamo which produces DC - would you device work with this?

The Sunup Eco spoke dynamo is based on a three phase generator unlike standard hub dynamos which are single phase. The advantages of three phase generators are that they:

•     are inherently more efficient than one phase generators;
  •     produce more stable electricity (lights will not flicker at low speeds); and
  •     produce direct current (DC) as opposed to the alternating current (AC).

Russell

Hi Russell,

It's not so suitable - you'd be better off buying a buck switch and including overvoltage protection. Here's why;

1. only half the rectification circuit would be utilised which would overheat if you consumed more than 1A - that could destroy the D1.
2. the rectification circuit would be obsoleted by the DC and has a efficiency penalty.
3. the D1's digital frequency monitoring would most likely not work (depends on the frequency from the dynamo) therefore it would not turn the USB off if you were to go very slow. That could result in devices toggling on/off quickly.

Regards, Andrew

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2016, 09:42:41 pm »
Could I have one ........currently running two sp dynamo's but need a charger as luxos's have expired.

cheers

dave
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2016, 09:57:42 am »
Just make sure you read the conditions 1-6 on the first post. Dispatching now so PM me for a unique code.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2016, 10:37:22 am »
Hello,

I know it is my first post here, but I already registered long time before and read regularly, so I guess I fullful the rules here.

I am interested in a unit as well. I just ordered a custom frame which will come hopefully by March. Lightning will be done with a SP dynamo hub and an IQ-X light. If it is OK that the review in this thread can wait till the bike is assembled I would be happy to participate!

Greetings
Stefan

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2016, 12:05:04 pm »
I'll go for one of these please. It looks quite small and neat.