Author Topic: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter  (Read 59384 times)

Re: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter
« Reply #250 on: May 27, 2017, 11:24:42 am »
Apologies for delay, I can now confirm there is no problem charging any Garmin unit with the firmware update when using a D1 with the stability bank.

For d101/2 users (the model without an accessory port) there is a service to have the new stability bank capacitor retrofitted inline. Just buy the stability bank (about £8 exc return postage), send your unit in and we'll send it back fitted.

https://www.igaro.com/d1/d1acc03

« Reply #251 on: May 30, 2017, 01:31:43 pm »
Have you considered connecting the USB port using the same round connector as you are using for the stability bank and solar input lead?

It would eliminate the need to return to base in the event of port failure, and would also allow the use of the B+M round plug to mini- or round plug to micro-USB leads, allowing weatherproof connection if the item being charged was in the handlebar bag

« Reply #252 on: June 02, 2017, 07:50:00 pm »
We have (1.35mm connector, can't use the same) but it's not a priority. The Model 5 has two USB plugs and chances of both failing is very small. Also, you can use a 30cm USB extension cable, tape the join up and then the extension cable becomes sacrificial. We were trying to source the manufacturer of an IP67 rated USB design but haven't had much luck. Still trying, but we might end up opening a mould and recreate it ourselves.

At the moment our focus is on the G1 to give Garmin users 4 minutes of standby power.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #253 on: June 05, 2017, 06:54:41 pm »
Hi Folks ....has anyone had a problems with charging their smart phones (mines an Samsung S7) from flat using thew D1?  I was trying to do this on my last 600 and it didn't seem to work.
appearing in a tea room near you

« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2017, 11:41:44 am »
No issue has been reported to us, and it shouldn't make any difference.

Which D1 model # are you using? (if it's one of the older versions, has the capacitor been upgraded?)

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2017, 03:27:03 pm »
No issue has been reported to us, and it shouldn't make any difference.

Which D1 model # are you using? (if it's one of the older versions, has the capacitor been upgraded?)

Hi Andrew ...I received the D1 in January .....I don't know if that includes the upgraded capacitor .

« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2017, 04:26:48 pm »
Doubtful - if it doesn't have power/accessory sockets then it's a no, and a recommended upgrade. You can see the size difference with the Model 5 picture.

If you purchase d1acc03 on the website and send your unit to us we'll replace the old capacitor (470uF) in-line with this one (15,000uF).

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2017, 04:49:38 pm »
Doubtful - if it doesn't have power/accessory sockets then it's a no, and a recommended upgrade. You can see the size difference with the Model 5 picture.

If you purchase d1acc03 on the website and send your unit to us we'll replace the old capacitor (470uF) in-line with this one (15,000uF).

I Andrew ....I purchase that and send the D1 I have back to you for the upgrade.   I have a Shimano dynamo so any additional updates to support that will be appreciated.  I'm happy to pay any additional costs.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #258 on: June 06, 2017, 05:00:53 pm »
ok ...have purchased d1acc03 via the website and sent you a PM from here.  I'll get me unit in the post to you tomorrow.

« Reply #259 on: June 07, 2017, 04:03:40 pm »
Related enquiry, recently came into focus (when my Garmin "out-front" mount broke).
Can anyone recommend an "out-front" mount that has sufficient room to insert the charging cable whilst mounted ?

Thoughtlessly, bought an actual Garmin replacement, to discover shock/horror, there's no room for the charging lead (via Igaro D1) to insert without fouling the bar.

All thoughts recommendations thoroughly welcome !
Alistair (pieeater) Dulwich Paragon

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #260 on: June 07, 2017, 06:18:02 pm »
Does a right-angle (or left-angle) micro USB plug help?  Startech do short (~30cm) cables with them.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #261 on: June 08, 2017, 07:57:23 am »
That's what I use, a right angle, mini-USB lead, easily obtainable from eBay. The USB socket on the Garmin Edge 810 (mine) is "upside down" so you need the oppposite right angle to point the cable away from the mount.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #262 on: June 20, 2017, 10:18:57 pm »
Another request sorted: power switch

https://www.igaro.com/d1/d1swt01

« Reply #263 on: June 21, 2017, 07:33:32 am »
It's starting to resemble the wiring harness of a motorbike. A simple one. Like the 1987 Simson S50* I once owned.  ;D

* Motorbike made in the former East Germany. Basic. Like a Trabant on 2 wheels.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #264 on: June 21, 2017, 12:36:42 pm »
Another request sorted: power switch

:thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #265 on: June 22, 2017, 04:06:50 pm »
i like the progress so far, however ideally i would like the unit itself bigger with the switch, capacitor, cache battery, waterproof connectors integrated in one waterproof container. it could happily sit in the tri-bag with one cable going to dynamo, another to the front light and a third charging the gizmo (phone, garmin, power bank..)

« Reply #266 on: July 20, 2017, 08:21:36 am »
Hello,

Im after advice from those who have fitted an Igaro alongside a headlight to an SP/Shimano hub.

Is it just a case of twisting the wires together into the connector plug or is there a better way?

Cheers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #267 on: July 20, 2017, 09:55:33 am »
Twisting the wires is what I did on HK's Condor but the Igaro wires are a bit fragile. When I get some time, I'll probably try the soldering and heatshrink route.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #268 on: July 21, 2017, 04:27:00 pm »
Thanks for the reply, looking on other forums it seems this is the most common method, I'll leave plenty of wire spare to start with to make sure Im happy with it.

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #269 on: July 25, 2017, 11:43:58 am »
I bought one after reading this thread (just too late to get the discount) and it's been sat in its box ever since. However, with LEL coming up, I've fitted it to the fixie and I plan to use it to keep my Tecknet 15000mAh battery topped up. I took a couple of these with me on PBP to keep my phone charged (and letting it record the ride and display speed, HR data set on my Wahoo RFLKT+ head unit). I've done some basic tests so far, in that:

- spinning the front wheel by hand is sufficient to wake up the Tecknet
 - if I spin faster, the charge indicator light starts to flash indicating it's actively charging
 - slowing down and it stops again, but charging resumes successfully

As I have a SON Deluxe, it will not charge as rapidly as with a SON 28, but should get some decent charge on descents.  I will start with the power bank fully charged. The bank should be able to charge the phone several times over. I'll run a cable along the frame, wrap up the Igaro's USB port, and keep the cache battery in my saddle bag. I believe the Tecknet can act as a pass through charger but once the phone is fully charged it will turn off the output. The phone can record a 200k ride on a full charge, the Tecknet probably charges the phone several times, so using the Igaro to top up will hopefully make it last the whole ride with one battery.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #270 on: October 26, 2017, 02:48:18 am »
How did that go Simon?
I also bought an igaro some time ago (no accessory ports, single USB outlet, plus one small capacitor heatshrunk to it version) and only really used it in anger for the first time today.
Plan was to just charge my Ravpower 20,100 mAh battery pack through the day and then charge gadgets from that at night. We rode for 4hours but at the end of riding my USB doctor said it had only supplied 120mAh. Basically nothing. The Ravpower has an intelligent load circuit so will try and draw 1.1A (empirically determined) but with the igaro I see it back off to about 0.28A load. Coupled with the supply cutting in and out (as our speed fluctuates) I expect it's spending more time detecting what load to place than actually charging.

Anyway long story short, what's people's recommendations for a great battery pack to charge from it? Unfortunately we're in California and heading on holibobs in Colombia in 2 weeks so no time to return the D1 for any of the glorious upgrades invented since I bought mine.......

« Reply #271 on: October 28, 2017, 10:38:24 pm »

Anyway long story short, what's people's recommendations for a great battery pack to charge from it? Unfortunately we're in California and heading on holibobs in Colombia in 2 weeks so no time to return the D1 for any of the glorious upgrades invented since I bought mine.......

I charge my phone directly off the Igaro but if I were to use a powerbank, which would be for off road, then I'd use my Xiaomi 20,000mah powerbank which has pass-through charging. The powerbank starts charging as soon as power is supplied and turns off automatically when the charge ceases. You can basically leave it in a bag and the powerbank manages itself. This is good for things like long drags up steep hills where you aren't generating enough speed to provide adequate power, but ensuring that the powerbank isn't draining itself of power by remaining on.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #272 on: October 29, 2017, 04:27:45 pm »
I charge my phone directly off the Igaro but if I were to use a powerbank, which would be for off road, then I'd use my Xiaomi 20,000mah powerbank which has pass-through charging. [..]

Thanks for the pointer! With a bit more testing I discovered my Igaro had stopped charging altogether. It now appears to behave like an expensive 0.5 ohm resistor. I guess the input lead has a short -- I'll work on returning it when back in the UK.
I also worked through my inventory of battery packs to see how they cope with variable input voltage.  Quite enlightening - several back of current as the voltage drops (by design, or using cheap linear regulator?), some actually increase current (switch mode regulator?) and the most advanced have a stateful algorithm that slowly ramps up the current but then rapidly backs it off whenever the input voltage drops. The Anker Astro SE was almost the winner in this - except if the input drops to 4.4V it powers off and needs a button press to resume charging which would be a pain. That said for this trip I'm going to be using the LUXUS-U for power and that doesn't seem to sag voltage much at all when loaded. It's either at 4.9V (less whatever resistance the charging cable drops) or nothing if overloaded.

« Reply #273 on: October 30, 2017, 01:01:09 pm »
Sorry to here that thing1.

The issue involves the PCB - over time it has a slight expansion and if the case is too tight it's enough to bypass the insulation layer it fits on which then results in a short at the input side. The problem lies not with the PCB per say but the custom titanium casing which during manufacture has proved impossible to get equal tolerance. Some of these cases have a -.2mm variance and it's enough to disallow the expansion.

We attempted a correction with Model 4 by increasing the insulation layer thickness (originally it looked like this was breaking down) but it didn't resolve the issue. Model 5 corrected it fully by shaving the PCB's - no failures since it's introduction in April.

Where it occurs the warranty will ensure a swap-out. We haven't had any returns for a while now so most Model 1 -3 units that had that issue have since been replaced, while the majority have a 0 or + casing variance and won't have the issue at all. We publish the stats on our website.

It shall be sorted upon your return - no problem!

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #274 on: October 30, 2017, 09:47:58 pm »
The issue involves the PCB - over time it has a slight expansion and if the case is too tight it's enough to bypass the insulation layer it fits on which then results in a short at the input side. [...]

Ah interesting. We were riding in the middle of a late Californian heatwave - it hit over 100F (36C) in Santa Cruz where we were.
While the D1 was mounted outside the frame in clear path for moving air, is was in direct sunlight at times for sure.

I'll follow up direct with you when we're back in UK in Dec.