Author Topic: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter  (Read 28768 times)

Re: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2016, 07:27:03 pm »
Hello,

I know it is my first post here, but I already registered long time before and read regularly, so I guess I fullful the rules here.

I am interested in a unit as well. I just ordered a custom frame which will come hopefully by March. Lightning will be done with a SP dynamo hub and an IQ-X light. If it is OK that the review in this thread can wait till the bike is assembled I would be happy to participate!

Greetings
Stefan

Sorry no, you have three weeks to post a review as stated on first post - no exceptions. I'll try and arrange similar events on other UK cycle forums later on so perhaps you'll catch it again nearer the time.

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2016, 07:42:02 pm »
Hello,

I know it is my first post here, but I already registered long time before and read regularly, so I guess I fullful the rules here.

I am interested in a unit as well. I just ordered a custom frame which will come hopefully by March. Lightning will be done with a SP dynamo hub and an IQ-X light. If it is OK that the review in this thread can wait till the bike is assembled I would be happy to participate!

Greetings
Stefan

Sorry no, you have three weeks to post a review as stated on first post - no exceptions. I'll try and arrange similar events on other UK cycle forums later on so perhaps you'll catch it again nearer the time.
No problem, it was worth a try :-)

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2016, 07:46:54 pm »
I've been thinking about getting one of these since reading Marcus' review.
If the offer is still available I'd be keen to take part.
(I run SP dynamo hubs on 26" and 700C wheels)

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2016, 07:58:36 pm »
Me please.

Bloody hell. I'll have to ride my bloody bike again.

TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

Manotea

• Just 1 sob, Vassily
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2016, 10:37:03 pm »
And another one. Will pair with an old skool SON and B&M IQ-X... and order placed.

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2016, 10:43:51 pm »
I've updated the 1st post as people keep asking - once you've read the 'agreement' please PM me for a unique code.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2016, 11:50:44 pm »
Hello,

Greetings
Stefan

What's your take on a 'first impressions' review within the three weeks, with the promise of a fuller one later?

No problem at all installing it and using it sharpish, but realistically, a proper view on it takes either a tour or a decently long ride - and from an audax perspective, I'm not likely to get anything more than a 200 in before Christmas. (I'm quite happy to be told I'm overthinking this.)

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2016, 09:02:51 am »
That's pretty much it, I can't ask for a long-term test with just a three week window. Some angles that could be covered and which normally cause issues with dynamo chargers;

1. compatibility with your devices
2. slow speed performance
3. build quality, your impressions on reliability, water resistance
4. installation, appearance, neatness
5. effectiveness at cruising speed (how fast a device charges within a given amount of time)

Regards

Andrew

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2016, 04:18:39 pm »
What options would you recommend for wiring the D1 in conjunction with a light?
I realise that the unit should be wiring in parallel with the light, but was wanting to know what solutions people had found to do this neatly.

I use an Exposure Revo light which I move between two bikes (each bike is equipped with it's own dynamo wheel and cable for the light).
It would be good to have the option to easily move the D1 between bikes. I assume soldering and heat shrinking a branch off the main light cable would be the way to go. I was thinking about the option of getting some kind of discreet secure inline cable connector to attach the D1. The ones that B&M use on the E-WERK look good, but haven't been able to find these or similar as a loose component. Does anybody know of anything suitable?

Question for Andrew: From the photos it looks like two wires exit the D1. The one then terminates at a heatshrinked "component". Am I correct in assuming that this is not a socket for a light output?

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2016, 04:42:55 pm »
That's pretty much it, I can't ask for a long-term test with just a three week window.

Disappointingly, I've had to send my SON back for a service so I'm highly unlikely to be able to get a review done in time. I was already thinking of getting one of these before the offer, so will probably put an order in ahead of LEL anyway. Looking forward to seeing the reviews...

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2016, 04:59:52 pm »
I realise that the unit should be wiring in parallel with the light, but was wanting to know what solutions people had found to do this neatly.

I use an Exposure Revo light which I move between two bikes (each bike is equipped with it's own dynamo wheel and cable for the light).
It would be good to have the option to easily move the D1 between bikes. I assume soldering and heat shrinking a branch off the main light cable would be the way to go. I was thinking about the option of getting some kind of discreet secure inline cable connector to attach the D1. The ones that B&M use on the E-WERK look good, but haven't been able to find these or similar as a loose component. Does anybody know of anything suitable?
At Kim (OTP) 's recommendation I've used Tamiya connectors before in similar application. 
In that case it was power convertor into one half of the connector, dynamo & light into the other.

If you wanted to move the D1 along with the light between bikes you could put those two together into one side and the dynamo into the other?

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2016, 05:31:56 pm »
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2016, 08:06:22 pm »
If not too late, I'd like to be included also. Thanks.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

bhoot

• Mrs RRtY
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2016, 09:48:45 pm »
I reckon I have now identified an alternative "temporary" mounting method which will keep the unit in fresh air, so I'm up for a trial unit (PM sent)

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2016, 10:05:13 pm »
Puts hand up and says yes p!ease.

Could make the relationship between the Gremlin (edge810) and little Miss Trykit a happy one.

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2016, 10:20:32 pm »
That's pretty much it, I can't ask for a long-term test with just a three week window.

Disappointingly, I've had to send my SON back for a service so I'm highly unlikely to be able to get a review done in time.

More than happy to lend you one if you want ...

(Meantime, I've just sent my own PM to igarocom for a code.)

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2016, 10:24:13 pm »
Apologies for my delay, out of office but back tomorrow will answer questions tHen.

Anyone who paid upto 10am this morning has had their D1 dispatched. More codes will go out tomorrow as i've ran out of them. Rgs, Andrew

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2016, 12:30:34 pm »
More than happy to lend you one if you want ...

Very kind of you, although tbh I don't know when I'm going to have time to test it anyway so I'll pass for now. So busy at work at the moment, and then going away in two weeks the Christmas period - I was quite keen to get my dynamo set-up sorted in time for the Poor Student but that might end up being the test ride...

Shoudn't need extra charging capability for a 200 anyway.

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2016, 01:53:32 pm »
As a longtime SON user I be happy to try out, and give some feedback v. my current Luxos U
Barry

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2016, 04:49:46 pm »
Is the bracket (as pictured on Facebook) to hold the unit inside the head tube essential, for heat dissipation for example?

As I have mudguards, can I not just fit it into the head tube and use the mudguard to hold it in place, or will that not work?

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2016, 05:09:31 pm »
Is the bracket (as pictured on Facebook) to hold the unit inside the head tube essential, for heat dissipation for example?

As I have mudguards, can I not just fit it into the head tube and use the mudguard to hold it in place, or will that not work?

Unsure how you will hold it using the mudguard, but the body should press against metal for the internal mount - for heat dissipation when going downhill with no load attached. That's why the mount was made from aluminium not titanium.

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2016, 05:14:48 pm »

Question for Andrew: From the photos it looks like two wires exit the D1. The one then terminates at a heatshrinked "component". Am I correct in assuming that this is not a socket for a light output?

You could look at these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-pairs-waterproof-IP68-LED-Connector-DC-5-5-x-2-1mm-Male-Female-jack-adapter/2041433204.html

At some point we'll begin fitting them to the external capacitor lead as we have plans to introduce a 20,000uF capacitor bank for extreme low revolution performance with high current devices (specifically the Sony Xperia Z3 which is a nightmare at low RPM) and for combining a 12v solar panel.

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2016, 05:44:35 pm »
Why does it have to dissipate so much heat anyway?  Are you using a zener shunt for over-voltage protection, rather than crowbarring the dynamo?
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2016, 06:01:53 pm »
Unsure how you will hold it using the mudguard, but the body should press against metal for the internal mount - for heat dissipation when going downhill with no load attached. That's why the mount was made from aluminium not titanium.

As a mudguard blocks the hole in the underside  of the fork crown, any put into the steerer tube isn't going to fall out. However, if it is going to overheat in this position then it's a no go.

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2016, 06:34:27 pm »
Presumably stuffing it up your headtube will take it out of the airflow, which I think Andrew was warning against in the context of putting it in a bag.