Author Topic: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter  (Read 59228 times)

Re: Igaro D1 USB Dynamo Power Converter
« Reply #300 on: September 09, 2019, 03:14:44 pm »

c) I got 4 of the D1 foam frame blocks. Not quite sure why.
Because as a commercial entity they will have to pay for disposal of unsold products? If they send 4 blocks to each D2 customer the can reduce (or remove) there stock and thus save on disposal costs.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #301 on: September 09, 2019, 06:09:11 pm »
making pins more robust would be a good idea. something in the shape of tabs of son dynohub perhaps? otherwise a nice little unit!

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #302 on: September 09, 2019, 06:14:54 pm »
It does look neat. USB-C connector is an interesting innovation. I think I'll order one when stock is available.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #303 on: September 09, 2019, 08:27:22 pm »
Seems ok so far, will attach to bike, shame there wasn't an option to have a plugged power option as in the D1 so rather unplumb all the existing wiring for my D1 I've knocked up a plugged lead sacrifice of a capacitor unit I had unused f I'm my D1.

I've got some USB C leads arriving tomorrow, a C-A socket and a C-Micro B lead suspect I'll stick with the C-A as I can then easily replace the end cable if it breaks.

No idea where I'll mount it, suspect I'll silicon the usb port and hang from the aerobars with a couple of cable ties when I'm happy with it.
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #304 on: September 11, 2019, 02:09:53 pm »
Hmmm that didn't last long...   anyone else using theirs yet, can you confirm if there is supposed to be an LED on or not when it is working, mine worked and now doesnt work.  Cables all 'bell out ok' so pretty sure it's the D2.  Glad I didn't take the D1 off the bike whilst I was trying this!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #305 on: September 11, 2019, 08:25:52 pm »
Working - steady LED
Working, no or small USB power consumption - steady with off-blip
Initialise/warm up - flashing
Disabled due to dynamo lights - brief flash, then unlit

The manual also says
When the bicycle begins to move the Igaro D2 assesses whether dynamo lights are connected. For this reason it is important to only turn your dynamo lights on when at a stop as doing otherwise could result in dim dynamo lights
Could be irritating with a sensomatic light, having to stop to get proper lights at dusk, or when entering a tunnel.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #306 on: September 11, 2019, 08:33:11 pm »
Could be irritating with a sensomatic light, having to stop to get proper lights at dusk, or when entering a tunnel.

The newer B&M lights just use the sensor to switch between daytime visibility and illumination mode.  I think they're following some DRL regulation or guideline or something?  I preferred the old senso behaviour.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #307 on: September 12, 2019, 12:26:30 am »
Working - steady LED
Working, no or small USB power consumption - steady with off-blip
Initialise/warm up - flashing
Disabled due to dynamo lights - brief flash, then unlit

The manual also says
When the bicycle begins to move the Igaro D2 assesses whether dynamo lights are connected. For this reason it is important to only turn your dynamo lights on when at a stop as doing otherwise could result in dim dynamo lights

Ta - I've been in touch with Andrew and I'm shipping my D2 back to him to investigate.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #308 on: October 07, 2019, 10:52:42 pm »
Hi All,

We had a few issues with the pre-release units (jiberjaber got caught with one of them) and they've now all been replaced.

As production has stabilised we can offer a 12% discount for anyone willing to write a review here on yacf. As before, write anything you want  :thumbsup:. The code is YACF201910 and can be used on our website for at least a month from now. Apologies we can't offer a larger discount but the electronics in the D2 are far more costly than the D1 and ultimately limits it.

Someone asked about the power pins. This was a trade-off, as there's NO room at all (to put it into perspective the D2 has the most condensed circuitry of any product of this genre including two stacked PCB's and three types of capacitors in the tiny casing). The only option was a wire coming out or the two pins. With the D1 we found users would accidentally forget to leave cable flex for handlebar rotation and rip the wires out so the pins avoid that. Although they're small we've used the best quality ones we could find, purchased here in the UK.

The production units (not pre-release which have all been replaced) reverses the decision to switch off with lights. Success will vary (speed, light wattage etc) but the unit will attempt to power share.

« Reply #309 on: October 08, 2019, 07:06:17 am »
Also waiting on my D2 MII after it turned to ice cream in my top tube bag. Hope springs eternal and all is well with this next one.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #310 on: October 08, 2019, 08:46:08 am »
It does look neat. USB-C connector is an interesting innovation. I think I'll order one when stock is available.

Very interested in replacing my D1 with this unit especially now the no power while lights are on has been removed (i use power on at night to dip my bright light briefly for traffic)

igarocom: I am concerned about the USB-C connectors, I was following the development of your products on Facebook closely and at one point you publicly stated that you had modified some circuit boards as you found that USB-C tracks over with moisture far too easily. As you have made this unit very small I feel you have now used this more vulnerable connector regardless due to size constraints.
I understand the D2 does not require any air flow for cooling so i guess these are designed/recommended for internal storage now.

« Reply #311 on: October 08, 2019, 12:52:39 pm »
There's no such thing as a waterproof USB port. The smaller and closer the positive & ground track the greater electrolysis will occur when a bridging liquid (i.e water) is present. For this reason, as you say, USB-C is more likely to corrode when powered and wet. The simple answer, which applies for all USB ports, is not to get them wet when they are supplying power. This is why stem cap solutions don't work in the real world. USB-C was chosen for it's size, although the pins are more reliable than USB-A in terms of insertion count.

The D2 produces no heat so placing inside a bag is fine.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #312 on: October 08, 2019, 01:58:27 pm »
Really liking the look of the D2 (and would probably buy one if I didn't have a perfectly functional e-Werk), though I'm not sure about the power pins:

Given that it's going inside luggage because the USB port isn't waterproof, why optimise the form-factor and power input for handlebar-mounting?  Seems like the power pins are going to be vulnerable if it's rattling around in a bag, potentially with the cable disconnected, and a slightly larger case with a female power connector would be better.  (Or alternatively, given that it's going on the handlebars, why use a USB connector rather than some more 0.1" headers for the output?)

I'm not sure how I'd optimise this, other than with two different products.  Fair point about captive cables getting damaged; I don't like them either.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #313 on: October 12, 2019, 08:35:21 pm »
It is a fair comment, true and valid, but design has to have a commercial aspect. A popular design chosen by several of our competitors is the top cap design and some of these competitors are touting the design as waterproof. This is plainly ridiculous as with a USB inserted not only will water enter when power is on but it will sit in the connector and electrolysis between the pins will occur. However it looks small, neat and unobtrusive - so increases commercial success. More sales, a one year warranty and a higher initial cost mitigates failures. We're giving a 5 year warranty which is 3 years more than the next competitor - just look after the pins and USB port. (if you feel you can't, take out insurance!).