Author Topic: All new OTTOLOCK  (Read 6476 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: All new OTTOLOCK
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2017, 06:51:38 pm »
Must admit I haven't used mine great many times yet, though I'm pleased I've got it.

I'm willing to organise a bulk buy if and when it's wanted and possible.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2017, 06:53:32 pm »
Must admit I haven't used mine great many times yet, though I'm pleased I've got it.

I'm willing to organise a bulk buy if and when it's wanted and possible.

I'm definitely interested! Probably for the 30" one in orange (or red, if they make that available again)
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2017, 10:27:42 pm »
So, if this is useful I'll explain how I've been using mine.

#1 sits in my main work pannier, I'd use it if I had to pop into a shop on the way home, also while I've got a bike cage in my main place of work, I often spend whole days at other locations with the bike on the street. I use the Ottolock as a second lock.  Without the ottolock I'd use a wire lock as a cfe lock, and not have a second lock.

#2 sits at home and I pick it up and loop it on the bars if I'm on a utility run. Without the ottolock I'd pick up a heavy chain or d-lock.

#1 & #2 get picked up together if I manage to convince Mrs Ham to go to the pub or somewhere. Without we'd have to stay close by them.

All in all, I like 'em.

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2017, 08:57:45 pm »
I'd be interested too.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2017, 09:09:33 pm »
The website still says out of stock, but is it worth ordering still? Implies they'll have supply in 30 days.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2017, 10:04:58 pm »
They haven't issued promo codes to backers yet - should be worth waiting for.  I'll start a new thread soon for those interested getting one or two locks through me.

« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2017, 11:25:16 pm »
They haven't issued promo codes to backers yet - should be worth waiting for.  I'll start a new thread soon for those interested getting one or two locks through me.

Okay, thanks. Sign me up! :-)

« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2017, 11:29:12 pm »
Also interested. It’s time I sorted out my lack of lightweight locks and this seems like a good option.

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2017, 11:42:37 pm »
Same here.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2017, 11:54:04 am »
+1  :thumbsup:
mid-Essex beer & bikes videographer and occasional publisher of events

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2017, 12:53:27 pm »
Anyone else interested, please post to https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=104449

« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2017, 06:20:21 pm »

#1 sits in my main work pannier, I'd use it if I had to pop into a shop on the way home, also while I've got a bike cage in my main place of work, I often spend whole days at other locations with the bike on the street. I use the Ottolock as a second lock.  Without the ottolock I'd use a wire lock as a cfe lock, and not have a second lock.

#2 sits at home and I pick it up and loop it on the bars if I'm on a utility run. Without the ottolock I'd pick up a heavy chain or d-lock.

#1 & #2 get picked up together if I manage to convince Mrs Ham to go to the pub or somewhere. Without we'd have to stay close by them.

All in all, I like 'em.

What lengths did you get, Ham, and any advice on that point? I’m thinking of 18” but I am wary of ending up with something that is too short too often.

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2017, 05:49:19 am »
Here is some competition.

« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2017, 06:11:33 am »

1.1Kg as opposed to 416g for my Ti lock, weight weenies.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2017, 09:00:35 am »

It's ten times heavier than the Ottolock so not in the same category at all.  It may be competition for a D-lock.

« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2017, 01:30:45 pm »

1.1Kg as opposed to 416g for my Ti lock, weight weenies.

Which Ti lock do you have? TiGr Mini?: https://www.tigrlock.com/mini/

« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2017, 05:11:24 pm »

All in all, I like 'em.

What lengths did you get, Ham, and any advice on that point? I’m thinking of 18” but I am wary of ending up with something that is too short too often.

I bought two 30" as I wanted to be able to join two bikes through a large post or whatever. The 30" makes it more versatile without adding significantly to weight or convenience. I can see that if I had the shorter it would take only one loop to carry around the bars, instead of two, but that's not really significant. All in all I'm pleased with my length choice, it is easy to clinch tight and pull out.

« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2017, 09:31:29 pm »
Thanks Ham. I went for the 30” option. After a bit of looking at how bikes are locked up in the sort of situations, 18” isn’t going to work most of the time and as you say the size / weight difference won’t be a problem.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2017, 11:35:03 pm »
You can't really tell by looking at how bikes with longer locks are locked as you position the bike differently when you have to.  Being close to the object being locked to is best for security anyway.  I don't expect to ever completely fail to lock the bike frame with my 18" lock, it's just that a longer one would make it easier sometimes and allow more things to be locked with it.

I recommend the 18" for recreational rides and travelling light, but the 30" makes sense if you're still in doubt or want more utility.