Author Topic: Coleman Aravis 2 Tent  (Read 7339 times)

Coleman Aravis 2 Tent
« on: January 29, 2017, 07:31:01 pm »
Thought i would post a review of this tent for others wanting a lightish, good quality tent at a decent price.

I have used the Aravis in all types of weather - rain, hail, sleet, and sun.. and it has never let me down. In fact, i have been bone dry, despite camping in some terrible storms.

It weighs 2.4kg, so not bad, and folds up pretty small. It is not a 2 man tent (despite the description), but is a roomy 1 man tent, with plenty of porch room for baggage.

Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Takes 10 minutes to set up and a bargain at £80 IMO.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Aravis-Backpacking-Tent-Person/dp/B00HQLN6WA

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Coleman Aravis 2 Tent
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 10:42:26 pm »
now only £66 :o  Do I don't I. Never had a small lightweight tent for cycle camping , don't suppose I can go wrong at this price.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 10:34:55 pm »
I like my Coleman Epsilon 2, though it's never been tested in those conditions. Somewhat different design, and an older model.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 11:01:02 pm »
Apart from a tornado, it would be harder to find worse conditions than the ones I camped in (it was the only time in my life I seriously thought death was imminent!). Completely in the eye of the storm.

I have also used a Vango Banshee, but found the coleman a better design and more robust.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 11:22:15 pm »
That is interesting, I have used a Banshee for the last several years and not found it wanting. I do however like Coleman products.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 11:48:11 pm »
I find the Banshee somewhat lacking in toe-room.  And it's got that cunning little vent so heavy condensation from the outer can drip on your feet.  If it's just one person you can lie the mat diagonally and avoid the problem, but it's a bit suboptimal for two.

It's also not as warm or wind-proof as an Akto-derivative, but I wouldn't expect it to be.  In summer the extra ventilation can be a feature.

Other than that, there isn't anything I'd suggest was *wrong* with it.  It's an excellent value tent.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 07:09:07 am »
OR there is the Robens starlight 2, better materials and features, better waterproofing, but twice the price, still £140 is not bad, but a lot if if sits in a cpd all its life  :'(

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 02:39:41 pm »
I have considered spending hundreds on expensive tents, but questioned this when I saw a supposedly 'elite' tent letting in water.

Now, I stick with what I know. If a coleman tent will keep me dry, then unless I plan to climb Everest, the saving of a few grams in weight is hardly noticeable.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 03:39:16 pm »
Terry, did you have any probs with condensation, and how close is your face to the inner. As you are canny with dosh  :thumbsup:, what mat do you use. Thanks.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 06:37:33 pm »
Ok , if I was to stay at the Coleman budget end, how does the aravis 2 compare to the cobra 2. The latter has less waterproof  fabric, but is dearer .I believe the aravis superceeded the cobra.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 05:54:12 pm »
Terry, did you have any probs with condensation, and how close is your face to the inner. As you are canny with dosh  :thumbsup:, what mat do you use. Thanks.

I had no problems with condensation - as long as the tent is pitched correctly and vents are open.

The aravis is basically a new version of the cobra (usually the cobra is 10-15 pounds cheaper). The reason I got the aravis was the green colour as opposed to blue (I like to wild camp).

Im 6ft 2 and my face was not close to the inner. The mat I got was an inflatable one from argos. Paid around £20 and it was fine.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 07:33:31 pm »
how do you access a tent  like the aravis when it pouring down, without getting the inner tent floor soaking wet.  Rather like the look of the new vango F10 Xenon.ultralight 2+ but getting a bit pricey. I like the tunnel with the completely covered porch, shelter from rain and sun.(towel over the top)

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 07:45:09 pm »
how do you access a tent  like the aravis when it pouring down, without getting the inner tent floor soaking wet.

From experience with a Hilleberg Akto:

Step zero: You pitch the non-flap end of the tent into the prevailing wind, and hope it won't change direction.

Then to get in you open the outer zip, fold the flap back onto the top of the tent using the surface tension of the raindrops to hold it in place (rather than wasting time rolling it up).  Open the inner.  Dive in.  Turn round.  Close the outer.

Some rain ends up in the porch area - usually the same bit that you'll be keeping your wet shoes - but not the inner.

The real problem is getting into a small tent like this when you're absolutely soaking wet and not getting water from your wet clothes on all your dry stuff.  Stripping off as much as possible before you get in seems to be the best approach.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 09:51:27 pm »
Yes, any small tent is a challenge. Aint half grand though when you are dry and snuggled up.

Indeed.   :thumbsup:

I find the best approach is to try to keep things reasonably tidy, in stuff-sacks and so on when you're not using them.  Sleeping bag might need to be left out to breathe, but can be shoved to the far end of the tent where you won't drip on it as you get in.  You might cause a bit of a puddle, but hopefully away from anything important.  Then it's mostly a case of knowing where your towel is...

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 10:41:25 pm »
I have the 1 person version and tested it a few weeks ago for an audax in Belgium. The 1 person version is a lot lower as the 2 person version, so you can hardly sit in it. It's a bit too cramped for my taste. I wouldn't use it for extended touring but as a shelter for a single night it's ok.

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 05:36:14 pm »
Just bought the cobra. 46squid!! ace reviews as well.

Gonna give this camping malarkey ago on the bike by the end of the year. Will set up and sleep in the garden to test it out though  :P

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 11:23:36 pm »
I think the Cobra is a nice tent. I've been using one as my touring tent for about 4 years, and has stood up to gales in Durness, thunderstorms in the Western Isles and torrential welsh rain. :)

The only change I would really make to mine is that the luggage storage porch could do with a zip like the entrance porch. It would save having to port wet pannier through the inner tent.

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 09:27:43 am »
Just tried this out on the back garden last night, and it absolutely battered down. No leakage what so ever. My children though I was a bit weird though  :o

What a great tent. My only grumbles are the zip to get in is a bit touch & go & it could do with another "door" the other side. Still for 45squid I am not moaning.

Also my Vango expamet was a revalation. I bought it about 3years ago but used it for the first time.  :facepalm: What a piece of kit, really clever.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 11:57:33 am »
Still watching this with interest, still haven't got a tent. About £78 for the Aravis, that incidentally has 2 doors.. Might watch Amazon fault and take the plunge when it is at its lowest £70 I reckon. Is 2.4 kg heavy for a (1) person tent.It may say  person but we know what that means.

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 07:07:22 pm »
It's not a terrible weight, though there are lighter.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 08:46:22 am »
Well Terry 72, its all your fault.....just pulled the trigger on one, on e-blag, brand new end of season ......£60 free delivery. On your head be it.. ;)

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 05:03:41 pm »
If it's on his head you may be pitching it wrong ;D
the slower you go the more you see