Author Topic: Barfly GPS mount problem - warranty fail!  (Read 628 times)

Barfly GPS mount problem - warranty fail!
« on: February 02, 2017, 06:38:36 pm »
My Barfly 2.0 Garmin mount failed while riding.

This happened with a Garmin 800 mounted, whilst going over a bump at about 20 mph, fortunately the clamp did not detach completely, so the GPS just dangled for a few yards until I could pull over. As you can see there is a small, rectangular void in the centre of the clamp moulding. Cracks have propagated diagonally outwards from the each end of the void.

This clearly constitutes a manufacturing defect. The Barly website https://www.barflybike.com/  states that 'if you break a mount for any reason, we'll send you a new one'.

So I submitted a warranty enquiry with picture link via their contact form. No response to that. Or to two follow-up emails over the following 3 weeks.

Conclusion:  Barfly products, warranty and customer support are worthless. They will never see any more of my money and I recommend you do not waste yours either.

They are right about the 'buy one and you're done' part though. I certainly feel like I've been 'done'.

Re: Barfly GPS mount problem - warranty fail!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:22:43 pm »
Out of interest, did you try calling them? Sometimes that gets a better response than an email ...

Or if you bought it from a UK retailer rather than direct, that would be another port of call - your contract is with them, and they might honour the warranty without charging you shipping from the US.

(Agreed the service so far is a bit crap, but I don't think I'd be saying 'worthless' quite yet.)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:08:43 pm »
Have you tried contacting them via Twitter or Facebook?

https://twitter.com/BarflyMount/

https://www.facebook.com/tatelabsbarfly/

Regards,

Jason

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:52:42 pm »
Out of interest, did you try calling them? Sometimes that gets a better response than an email ...

Or if you bought it from a UK retailer rather than direct, that would be another port of call - your contract is with them, and they might honour the warranty without charging you shipping from the US.

(Agreed the service so far is a bit crap, but I don't think I'd be saying 'worthless' quite yet.)

You're right, it's not worthless. I'm down almost £20, which could have been upwards of £200 if the Garmin had been smashed.

Their warranty statement is that 'we (Barfly) will send you a new one'. Not the shop I bought it from. After 3 approaches over 3 weeks, even a fob off to the UK distributor would have sufficed. If a company has this sort of 'no quibble' guarantee and a purpose-built warranty contact form on their website, then that is a worthwhile selling point. But if it doesn't actually operate, then it's just marketing bullshit and needs to be called out.

I'm not wasting any more time calling them, but have invited them to comment on this thread if they wish to defend their product, warranty policy or customer service.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 05:09:18 pm »
I bought one for my Edge 1000 - I was unimpressed, particularly given the £22 cost. Average quality and the Edge rattled in the mount. Sent it back to HighOnBikes and got a LifeLine Out-Front Mount from Wiggle - an aluminium adjustable mount for £13 - excellent! Edge snaps into it and is never going to move. There was no inset rubber ring to stop slipping as you see on the Garmin mounts, but a turn of electrical tape on the bars took care of that. The hex bolts are very small and didn't feel too robust, but once in place they won't need to be disturbed too often.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 06:28:48 pm »

You're right, it's not worthless. I'm down almost £20, which could have been upwards of £200 if the Garmin had been smashed.

Their warranty statement is that 'we (Barfly) will send you a new one'. Not the shop I bought it from. After 3 approaches over 3 weeks, even a fob off to the UK distributor would have sufficed. If a company has this sort of 'no quibble' guarantee and a purpose-built warranty contact form on their website, then that is a worthwhile selling point. But if it doesn't actually operate, then it's just marketing bullshit and needs to be called out.

I'm not wasting any more time calling them, but have invited them to comment on this thread if they wish to defend their product, warranty policy or customer service.

Well, whatever their warranty statement is, the legal position is that it's the retailer (if UK) who is responsible for making it good. And given that they say 'we'll send you a new one free of charge, excluding shipping costs,' you're probably better off ignoring their marketing puff about the warranty and going to a UK source.

Frankly, if you actually want to get a replacement, then I'd have thought spending an extra couple of minutes either calling Barfly - their number *is* on the general Contact Us page, so it's not like it's tricky to find - or contacting the retailer would be more productive than posting about them here. Of course, if you just want to vent your frustration, then here is significantly more appropriate.