Author Topic: BBB Easy Tyre  (Read 1016 times)

CAMRAMan

• Formerly A Warwickshire Lad
BBB Easy Tyre
« on: February 11, 2017, 02:32:30 pm »
This tool just achieved in under a minute what I had failed to do in an hour of toil & extreme Anglo-Saxon profanities.

You try putting a Schwalbe Stelvio onto a Birdy rim! This simple tool got it on straight away. Couldn't be simpler to use and is robust by the feel of it. I'm not sure it'll be able to handle bigger MTB tyres, but I haven't had major issues with those as yet.

£8 + P&P well spent.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

robgul

• HoECC & Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . bit of a cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: BBB Easy Tyre
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:14:47 pm »
This tool just achieved in under a minute what I had failed to do in an hour of toil & extreme Anglo-Saxon profanities.

You try putting a Schwalbe Stelvio onto a Birdy rim! This simple tool got it on straight away. Couldn't be simpler to use and is robust by the feel of it. I'm not sure it'll be able to handle bigger MTB tyres, but I haven't had major issues with those as yet.

£8 + P&P well spent.

You were had! - I bought the same thing (elsewhere) about 3 weeks ago for £6.40 delivered . . . excellent for tight tyres and people like me with increasingly arthritic fingers.

... and while we're on clever tools I bought a pair of SuperB magic chain link pliers that not only open the link but close it as well (with 3 "points") -  https://www.amazon.co.uk/SuperB_ToBe-Master-Pliers-Bicycle-Chain/dp/B007E8YO7Q

Rob

CAMRAMan

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 05:57:29 pm »
What size tyres have you used it on, Rob?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

robgul

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 06:20:41 pm »
What size tyres have you used it on, Rob?

700c x 28 Marathon Plus and 16" "soft" ones on a kids bike - not sure how they would work with the decent tyres on my Brompton

... and yet another tool that's really useful to save ripping the skin off your knuckles - one of these chain whip/cassette holders   http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-cassette-pliers-cp-1/rp-prod149796  - I paid less than the CR price, but still not cheap.

Rob

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 04:23:24 pm »
I've got a another brand of tool that I would guess works in exactly the same way, a Koolstop Bead Jack
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 04:28:29 pm »
There's also the VAR lever, for a more portable version.  (Which passes the 406 Marathon Plus test.)
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

robgul

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:34:14 pm »
There's also the VAR lever, for a more portable version.  (Which passes the 406 Marathon Plus test.)

Yep - I have one of those in my touring bike kit (have yet to try it on the Brompton tyres)

Rob

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 07:47:20 pm »

Yep - I have one of those in my touring bike kit (have yet to try it on the Brompton tyres)

Only problem with the VAR is that it's a bit brittle, and may snap if used to remove the stubborn tyres you need it to fit.
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 01:00:14 pm »
I broke my first one. It didn't even last 20 years! I wuz dun!  :o
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 06:19:10 pm »

£8 + P&P well spent.

how would you get the tyre off tho? ???

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 07:17:40 am »
Only problem with the VAR is that it's a bit brittle, and may snap if used to remove the stubborn tyres you need it to fit.

My example was the opposite: uselessly floppy except for tyres I could fit by hand anyway. I tried to hold it mid-span to prevent it bowing out, but the forces required were still beyond its ability. Maybe we used it in very different temperatures.

CAMRAMan

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 08:37:02 pm »
Going back to the BBB tool, I used it successfully on a 37 x 27.5" Schwalbe Land Cruiser. It wouldn't fit anything much bigger, but that's quite a chunky tyre.