Author Topic: Current Projects  (Read 2518 times)

dim

Re: Current Projects
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2017, 11:56:52 am »
I have a 1981 Koga Miyata Full Pro that I'm upgrading. I bought the frame and fork off ebay for £101.00

I had a 1983 Koga Miyata Gran Winner with the Golden Arrow groupset and transfered the components to the new frame. I sold the Gran Winner frame for £80 and will upgrade the groupset on the Full Pro to Dura Ace 7800 (10 speed), but with the Dura Ace 7900 compact crankset (50/34T)...

the 7800 rear deraillier is good for a cassette with the max of 27 teeth (according to the Shimano Specs), but many say that an 11-28 will work fine ... This will allow me to use the wheels on my Giant Tcr from time to time (Hed Belgium Plus rims with Chris King R45 hubs (ceramic bearings)... these wheels have a 10 speed cassette so there will be no faffing with changing the cassette everytime I want to use them on the Koga

the frame will be sent to Bob Jackson for a respray (original French Blue colour), with new decals fitted

a set of decent light tubeless ready wheels/tyres, some Apidura bags and I will use this bike for some Audax rides. I doubt that I will be able to fit mudguards though as thereis very little clearance by the brakes

I'm hoping to have the finished build weighing approx 8kg. It's a suberb bike and definately a keeper

Re: Current Projects
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2017, 09:19:01 pm »
I had the Peugeot out for a test ride yesterday afternoon (as much to see if my knee was going to co-operate for a club do next saturday as to test the bike).
First thing, the front low-loaders do foul the drum brake torque arm enough to drop the front wheel by half a brake-block. The brakes are on the limit so the carriers had to come off. Mod planned to drill a couple of new holes toraise them as necessary.
On the ride it was soon very apparent that the hand strength of Goliath would be necessary to make the coupled brakes work properly in an emergency. The front drum brake slows a solo up more than it does a tandem but is a speed control rather than a stopping device. The solution (being done now) is to separate the calipers into a conventional arrangement and put the lever for the drum elsewhere (my choice is a mtb thumb shifter on the vertical part of the quill stem).
Other than that the ride was a success, very pleasant. A lot of fairly rough roads; not very quick but very comfortable.

Re: Current Projects
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2017, 10:03:53 pm »
How bad is the ground clearance with the standard cranks and 406 rims? I checked on the weekend and it will fit in the car assuming I can remove the stem (need to undo the brake bolt and remove that cable). I've found the BMX forks with V bosses, and I've got some 406 rims kicking around, (or I could just buy some new ones), but that way a proper project lies - if it's going to mess up the crank clearance I'll stick to 451s and have to do something different with the headset.
Good enough - just over 10 inches, about he same as many road racing (but not criterium) bikes.
Never tell me the odds.

clarion

  • Tyke
Re: Current Projects
« Reply #53 on: Today at 10:45:32 am »
Singular Peregrine returned from the bike shop having had headset cups fitted.  I put together the rest of the headset, then plonked it on the wheels, and put the cockpit assembly on.  Also the seatpost in, but it's a bit tight now, so I shall need a bit of patience.

I forgot to bring the copper grease from Worthing, for which I am kicking myself, but I can fettle properly once its all assembled.  Next step: BB & Cranks.  Then brakes, gear cable, bar tape, chain.

The JTek 11-spd lever is nice, but really quite large.  I had to reset the angle because I found it clashed with my (reversed) brake lever movement.  It won't be pretty up the front end, but it will certainly be functional!

The blue is so dark that it is hard to see the difference under artificial light from the black headset. :)
We are all just prisoners here of our own (mobile) device.