Author Topic: DC rainmaker first look at Hammerhead Karoo GPS unit  (Read 10406 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: DC rainmaker first look at Hammerhead Karoo GPS unit
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2018, 09:15:31 am »
*The 500 makes the beep on or just after the junction which is sub-optimal but still of use. It's an issue with the garmin, the file from c.t has the turn marks exactly the distance you ask for before the junction. No matter what distance before you ask for the garmin ignores it and beeps on or just after the turn. I don't understand how as it has no knowledge of the road layout.

Are you sure it's not simply beeping to indicate a significant change in direction?   It doesn't need any TBT instructions to do that.
"This is a complex subject, with a need for more than one highlighter pen."

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
DC rainmaker first look at Hammerhead Karoo GPS unit
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2018, 05:41:43 pm »
Yes, when I’m using the ‘map’ screen for navigation, the 510 often gives me turn instructions based on significant changes of direction, such as a sharp bend, even if it’s not a junction. It has no knowledge of the actual road layout. (I have turned the beeps off because they’re too irritating.)

It is possible to manually program it with proper turn instructions but it’s more trouble than it’s worth. As noted already, I get on fine following the breadcrumb trail.

Re: DC rainmaker first look at Hammerhead Karoo GPS unit
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2018, 11:15:51 pm »
Yes, when I’m using the ‘map’ screen for navigation, the 510 often gives me turn instructions based on significant changes of direction, such as a sharp bend, even if it’s not a junction. It has no knowledge of the actual road layout
I often find that those acute turns have some sort of track, even if vestigial on the OS map which also causes a turn indicatiob