Author Topic: DC rainmaker first look at Hammerhead Karoo GPS unit  (Read 12757 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: DC rainmaker first look at Hammerhead Karoo GPS unit
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2018, 09:15:31 am »
*The 500 makes the beep on or just after the junction which is sub-optimal but still of use. It's an issue with the garmin, the file from c.t has the turn marks exactly the distance you ask for before the junction. No matter what distance before you ask for the garmin ignores it and beeps on or just after the turn. I don't understand how as it has no knowledge of the road layout.

Are you sure it's not simply beeping to indicate a significant change in direction?   It doesn't need any TBT instructions to do that.
It's not dark yet but it's getting there.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
DC rainmaker first look at Hammerhead Karoo GPS unit
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2018, 05:41:43 pm »
Yes, when I’m using the ‘map’ screen for navigation, the 510 often gives me turn instructions based on significant changes of direction, such as a sharp bend, even if it’s not a junction. It has no knowledge of the actual road layout. (I have turned the beeps off because they’re too irritating.)

It is possible to manually program it with proper turn instructions but it’s more trouble than it’s worth. As noted already, I get on fine following the breadcrumb trail.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2018, 11:15:51 pm »
Yes, when I’m using the ‘map’ screen for navigation, the 510 often gives me turn instructions based on significant changes of direction, such as a sharp bend, even if it’s not a junction. It has no knowledge of the actual road layout
I often find that those acute turns have some sort of track, even if vestigial on the OS map which also causes a turn indicatiob

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2020, 09:30:16 pm »
I have finally given up on my hammerhead karoo.

Good points:
The display is amazing, clear, large and visible even in bright sunlight.
The software is now pretty good.  It knows that we drive on the left and turn indications are correct.  Segments are nicely displayed from Strava and much better than garmin.
TBT works nicely and clearly

Bad points:
No beep at all
It completely crashes on me with no warning.  I can do a 60km ride with full TBT and no problems then next day it will crash on my commute when it is just recording.  I have done so many re-installs it is not true.

Now I fully accept that I probably have a bad one and this is not indicative of their overall quality but I cannot trust it again. BUT it is Android and you can side load other programs, etc.

So I am giving it away if anybody wants to play with side loading other mapping software, etc for the fun of it.  pm me

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2020, 11:34:35 pm »
I have finally given up on my hammerhead karoo.

Good points:
The display is amazing, clear, large and visible even in bright sunlight.
The software is now pretty good.  It knows that we drive on the left and turn indications are correct.  Segments are nicely displayed from Strava and much better than garmin.
TBT works nicely and clearly

Bad points:
No beep at all
It completely crashes on me with no warning.  I can do a 60km ride with full TBT and no problems then next day it will crash on my commute when it is just recording.  I have done so many re-installs it is not true.

Now I fully accept that I probably have a bad one and this is not indicative of their overall quality but I cannot trust it again. BUT it is Android and you can side load other programs, etc.

So I am giving it away if anybody wants to play with side loading other mapping software, etc for the fun of it.  pm me

Sent you a PM Chris.