Author Topic: Paramo repair  (Read 760 times)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
Paramo repair
« on: May 12, 2017, 12:18:02 pm »
Whilst out riding with Mrs. Wow a few weeks ago she noticed that there was a cut in the back of my lovely Paramo Quito cycling jacket. The only thing I could think of which had caused it was that it had become caught when someone was closing the front door (we have a load of coat pegs just inside). Anyway, off it went for repair.

It has just arrived back. It has taken quite a while, not least because I overlooked the email they sent telling me how much the repair was going to be, and they didn't start the process until I had paid. The entire back panel has been replaced and the cost was £40. They also cleaned and reproofed it and it now looks to be as good as new. All I need is a filthy wet day to come along so that I can go for a bike ride and test it.
You won. Get over it.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: Paramo repair
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 05:38:16 pm »
Whilst out riding with Mrs. Wow a few weeks ago she noticed that there was a cut in the back of my lovely Paramo Quito cycling jacket. The only thing I could think of which had caused it was that it had become caught when someone was closing the front door (we have a load of coat pegs just inside). Anyway, off it went for repair.

It has just arrived back. It has taken quite a while, not least because I overlooked the email they sent telling me how much the repair was going to be, and they didn't start the process until I had paid. The entire back panel has been replaced and the cost was £40. They also cleaned and reproofed it and it now looks to be as good as new. All I need is a filthy wet day to come along so that I can go for a bike ride and test it.

That seems pretty reasonable for the repair!  :-) 

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 07:43:56 pm »
Good to know that they offer this service and cost seems reasonable.
'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

Martin John Rees.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 07:51:53 pm »
That is not the experience I had with a Paramo repair on my Quito jacket.

I got a rip in the sleeve and sent it to them with the instruction to replace the sleeve panel. As Wow said they would not start the repair until I paid. When it was eventually returned they had just sown a patch over the tear.

Since then I have never considered Paramo when looking at clothing.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 09:23:05 pm »
That is disappointing to hear on a £200 plus jacket.
'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

Martin John Rees.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 03:29:37 pm »
I'm glad I found this thread - I was worried I might have to throw my  (also lovely) Quito.  £47 quoted for replacement of the damaged zip, plus 'professional clean and reproof'. It needs a professional clean but I've already had the reproof (Mrs N:"I bought you that as a Christmas present - you should have taken better care of it you idiot.  Do you know how much it cost?".  I do now, thanks to Canardly). It would have been free had it been less than 3 years old. But not expected back till mid-January because of 'workload and Christmas closure'.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 07:57:51 am »
It's a shame the actual Páramo can't be repaired so easily.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 08:27:56 am »
I understood you can repair Paramo rips by sewing up the outer layer, the waterproofing isn’t affected.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 03:20:33 pm »
You can repair Paramo kit yourself, but the firm makes a really good job of it in my experience. 
I have a general purpose/walking jacket and trousers, both about 16 years old and well used.  Couple of years ago, I got the pocket zip stuck on the trousers (clumsy arthritic hands), so sent them for assessment. For the minimum fee, they would replace the zip, and also mend a small tear in the leg, clean and reproof. (yes you do pay up front, and yes it can take quite a while).  Came back like new.  Last summer, I decided the jacket zip, although still functioning, might not manage another winter.  Again they assessed and replaced the main zip and the Velcro on the sleeves, clean and reproof.  The cleaning is much better than I can achieve at home, and getting it done in summer meant I didn't have to struggle along without it for long.
IIRC, That jacket was about £160, so it has cost me £10 per year so far, then I think it was £30 for the repairs, and now it has at least another 10 years in it.
I think that is good value.  It's also a really useful bit of kit - wearable in a wide range of conditions, so I only need one jacket for most uses.  (I am saving up for a lighter one for cycling)
Their paperwork may be a tad old-fashioned, but I do feel I'm talking to real people at Paramo

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 03:45:16 pm »
That's good to know Flite.  Thanks.

Apart from the current zip problem the only issue I have with my jacket is that at temperatures over about 6C or 7C, if I forget to unzip the vents a bit, by the time I stop and straighten my arms there's a steady dripfrom the cuffs  of my sweat which had wicked through the inner layer and pooled by my elbows.

Given that the repairs include a professional clean I was a little surprised by
Please ensure that all garments are laundered and dry before returning them to us. Any garments which require cleaning prior to repair will be subject to a £10.00 charge.
I wonder if I would get away with general (dry) grubbiness.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 05:13:01 pm »
I always chuck my paramo kit in the washing machine with their recommended product, Nikwax tech wash.
Not the TX Direct Wash-in - I only use that when water stops beading on the surface, to restore the water-repelling.
So just wash the garment with tech wash before you send it to paramo. I suspect it only needs to be clean to make life more pleasant for the seamstresses - assume they mend before they do the professional clean and reproof.
When mended, I think perhaps paramo use a chemical cleaner, garments certainly come back a lot cleaner than I can get them at home, but I don't know if that is correct. Then they reproof.
I've been very pleased with the service, but it can take a while. 
I suspect it is not a large operation, and they just do repairs in order of arrival. 
But there is a human at the other end!

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 05:16:22 pm »
I've clearly settled in well to life on Teesside - I read that as 'Parmo repair'  :)

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 10:47:41 pm »
I suspect it is not a large operation, and they just do repairs in order of arrival. 
But there is a human at the other end!

I think their main manufacturing is done in South America somewhere, but they must have a place it the UK for R&D and it's possible that they also do the repairs there.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark