Author Topic: Asparagus & Strawberries - 3rd June  (Read 16731 times)

Re: Asparagus & Strawberries - 3rd June
« Reply #25 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:38:14 am »
we have a proper AUK controller at the Coffee House in Ixworth 

One wonders what an improper AUK controller might look like, but the expectation has been set that the 'proper' one will be nicely turned out  :)

Hopefully I can get my body back together after the Brimstone savaging.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #26 on: 30 May, 2017, 02:23:26 pm »
Is this the ride where you pass a Co-op (in my case in the evening) somewhere near the north coast and the routesheet says something like "turn left" (but nothing more) and it's another 40 miles before you arrive at Barton Mills? When I arrived about 3am the garage had half a dozen riders asleep on the floor. So I joined them, and had another 15 minutes from 6.45am to 7am on a bench outside a church. I knew it was 7am because the bloody bells of the clock woke me up.
A Redfalo is right - it can get bloody cold out there.
But - a great ride, really enjoyed it. Super little adventure.

Barton now has a 24hr McDonalds you can sit inside. So no more cold garage forecourts.

That's the problem with this Audax lark, it just keeps getting easier and easier....

Luckily we all have aging and real life getting in the way to prevent it getting too easy..

I knew there was an upside to aging!

Looking forward to this. Seems to be a whole posse of ACME riders who will be on fast bikes and tribars, pretending to be TCR entrants and generally being faster than usual. As for me I am remembering how I always forget quite how long 400km is in one go and how I will need to let the ACME-FAST posse disappear towards the horizon as I practice my breakbehind technique...

« Reply #27 on: 30 May, 2017, 03:30:37 pm »
Seems to be a whole posse of ACME riders who will be on fast bikes and tribars, pretending to be TCR entrants and generally being faster than usual.

I think there are multiple categories of ACME riders, very few fall into the 'fast bike and tribar' category. I'm certainly hoping for a more leisurely endeavour.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #28 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:41:26 pm »
Seems to be a whole posse of ACME riders who will be on fast bikes and tribars, pretending to be TCR entrants and generally being faster than usual.

I think there are multiple categories of ACME riders, very few fall into the 'fast bike and tribar' category. I'm certainly hoping for a more leisurely endeavour.

I shall certainly be "pacing" my ride in the hope that the buffet at Manningtree will be opening for breakfast  ;)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Phil W

« Reply #29 on: 30 May, 2017, 09:47:52 pm »
I do hope that buffet is open Sunday morning. A beer breakfast is most welcome. Kebab in Brandon is tempting then maybe wash down with a McFlurry at Barton Mills.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #30 on: 30 May, 2017, 09:58:12 pm »
beer breakfast  ..... Kebab ..... a McFlurry
Such culinary delights. The glamour of audax.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #31 on: 31 May, 2017, 09:04:31 am »
TT and carbon bikes are still sleeping in the garage. If the not so Big Saxon rides his Genesis too, I'll make a posse with him (doubt we'll chase anyone down though).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #32 on: 31 May, 2017, 10:03:15 am »
beer breakfast  ..... Kebab ..... a McFlurry
Such culinary delights. The glamour of audax.

That's been Phil's regular diet for years. It's when he met a cyclist in Maccy D's ( or was it the kebab house? Maybe the 'spoons?) That he found out about Audax.

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #33 on: 31 May, 2017, 10:46:53 am »
we have a proper AUK controller at the Coffee House in Ixworth 

One wonders what an improper AUK controller might look like

Hummers otp!

:hand: DAHIKT...
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

« Reply #34 on: 31 May, 2017, 01:29:22 pm »
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

That rings a bell.

« Reply #35 on: 31 May, 2017, 02:00:58 pm »

And I've just gone and put some tribars on my bike now.... more to see if I can lower stress on hands than anything, though if I can suddenly turn into Cancellara that would be nice too. Actually bike looks a fright - mudguards and tribars, just looks wrong wrong wrong! Might  be a short-lived experiment!

Redlight, glad you are going to be around, be good to share BCM notes at some stage...

Redlight

« Reply #36 on: 01 June, 2017, 07:51:21 pm »
Redlight, glad you are going to be around, be good to share BCM notes at some stage...

Indeed. I can tell you how breaking my own "no sleeping" rule led to me squandering my best ever time for the return to Kings to become the last person to make it back to Bulwark!

Anyone else taking the 07.30-ish train from Liverpool Street on Saturday morning?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #37 on: 01 June, 2017, 08:23:25 pm »

That rings a bell.

What? Last orders already?

« Reply #38 on: 01 June, 2017, 11:15:18 pm »

Indeed. I can tell you how breaking my own "no sleeping" rule led to me squandering my best ever time for the return to Kings to become the last person to make it back to Bulwark!

Anyone else taking the 07.30-ish train from Liverpool Street on Saturday morning?

I  know that Redfalo (aka Olaf on Mercian) is aiming for that train - 7:25. I am undecided on driving yet, may depend on family dibs. Do you actually need to book a cycling space at that time of the morning?!

Redlight

« Reply #39 on: 02 June, 2017, 06:25:30 am »

I  know that Redfalo (aka Olaf on Mercian) is aiming for that train - 7:25. I am undecided on driving yet, may depend on family dibs. Do you actually need to book a cycling space at that time of the morning?!

I certainly hope not  :).  I think it's unlikely and, in fact, I don't recall the option being offered when I booked the ticket.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: 02 June, 2017, 06:49:54 am »
Manningtree Station Buffet is normally closed on Sundays now  :( however they will open specially, and from 07:00, but don't have the staff for full breakfasts - just bacon rolls, sandwiches etc.

Have a great ride folks  :thumbsup:

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #41 on: 02 June, 2017, 07:31:38 am »

07.36 from Stratford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If all rides could be gentle pedalling downhill with the wind behind rather than puffing uphill with a windy behind.

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #42 on: 02 June, 2017, 07:33:38 am »

Looking like we'll miss the yellow rain by 24 hours!

If all rides could be gentle pedalling downhill with the wind behind rather than puffing uphill with a windy behind.

Redlight

« Reply #43 on: 02 June, 2017, 07:45:02 am »
Manningtree Station Buffet is normally closed on Sundays now  :( however they will open specially, and from 07:00, but don't have the staff for full breakfasts - just bacon rolls, sandwiches etc.

Have a great ride folks  :thumbsup:

Yay!  Well done Tomsk!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #44 on: 02 June, 2017, 10:41:37 am »

Yellow rain ??   Is that a bit like yellow snow  :D

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #45 on: 02 June, 2017, 11:29:13 am »

Yellow rain ??   Is that a bit like yellow snow  :D
I'm guessing so.
"That's where the huskies go" - F Zapper

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #46 on: 02 June, 2017, 12:22:21 pm »

I certainly hope not  :).  I think it's unlikely and, in fact, I don't recall the option being offered when I booked the ticket.

Technically yes, practically most probably not. you have to call Abellio at least 24 hours in advance , as you cannot book spaces online. i got one a few days ago. but  guards van has plenty of space anyway. there is, of course, the tail risk of running into a real jobsworth...
looking forward to meeting you tomorrow!
olaf
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #47 on: 02 June, 2017, 01:46:26 pm »

Technically yes, practically most probably not. you have to call Abellio at least 24 hours in advance , as you cannot book spaces online. i got one a few days ago. but  guards van has plenty of space anyway. there is, of course, the tail risk of running into a real jobsworth...
looking forward to meeting you tomorrow!
olaf

Just been into my local station to pick up my tickets for tomorrow.  After comments above I thought I should check whether I needed to book the bike on my trip; was told no restrictions for taking bikes on the train at weekends i.e. off peak.  (My route is Tonbridge to London Bridge then Stratford to Manningtree.)
Hope this helps...

Redlight

« Reply #48 on: 02 June, 2017, 02:32:31 pm »
I'll be getting on at Stratford too but why are you cycling to there from London Bridge rather than just going over to Liverpool Street?

« Reply #49 on: 02 June, 2017, 02:37:05 pm »
Planning to get the Jubilee Line?

YG, bikes aren't permitted on deep tube lines at any time, unless they're folded folders ...