Author Topic: Asparagus & Strawberries - 3rd June  (Read 16733 times)

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
Re: Asparagus & Strawberries - 3rd June
« Reply #50 on: 02 June, 2017, 02:43:55 pm »
I'll be getting on at Stratford too but why are you cycling to there from London Bridge rather than just going over to Liverpool Street?

Liverpool Street was originally not showing as an option for tomorrow morning  :facepalm: - Trainline.com kept timing out whenever I put the route in but allowed from Stratford.  I'd assumed there must be engineering work. 
Have now rechecked and have reduced my cross London ride considerably.  ;D
Many thanks and see you in the morning.
If all rides could be gentle pedalling downhill with the wind behind rather than puffing uphill with a windy behind.

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #51 on: 02 June, 2017, 02:44:49 pm »
Planning to get the Jubilee Line?

YG, bikes aren't permitted on deep tube lines at any time, unless they're folded folders ...
Thanks for update but quite happy cycling overground.
If all rides could be gentle pedalling downhill with the wind behind rather than puffing uphill with a windy behind.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #52 on: 02 June, 2017, 02:51:14 pm »

I  know that Redfalo (aka Olaf on Mercian) is aiming for that train - 7:25. I am undecided on driving yet, may depend on family dibs. Do you actually need to book a cycling space at that time of the morning?!

I certainly hope not  :).  I think it's unlikely and, in fact, I don't recall the option being offered when I booked the ticket.

Technically yes, practically most probably not. you have to call Abellio at least 24 hours in advance , as you cannot book spaces online. i got one a few days ago. but  guards van has plenty of space anyway. there is, of course, the tail risk of running into a real jobsworth...
looking forward to meeting you tomorrow!
olaf

Just been into my local station to pick up my tickets for tomorrow.  After comments above I thought I should check whether I needed to book the bike on my trip; was told no restrictions for taking bikes on the train at weekends i.e. off peak.  (My route is Tonbridge to London Bridge then Stratford to Manningtree.)
Hope this helps...

i'm afraid your local station told you only half the story. there are no restrictions for taking bikes,  but you still technically need a reservation on the intercity line to Norwich. should be no problem in real life though

see here: https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/your-journey/cycling/bikes-on-trains

London Liverpool Street - Norwich Intercity services
Free of charge
Reservations in advance are compulsory
Six dedicated bicycle spaces are available in the Guard’s van.
The Guard’s van will be locked five minutes before departure time from London Liverpool Street and Norwich. Please arrive in good time to make sure your cycle is safely on board by then. At other Intercity stations you must be in place by the Guard's van when the train arrives to be allowed to board. If you arrive after this time you will not be allowed to board the train.

Reservations on the mainline Intercity service can be made by calling our Customer Relations team on 0345 600 7245 and selecting option 8. You must provide at least 24 hours in order to make a reservation. Spaces are subject to availability, on a first come, first served basis.

If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
« Reply #53 on: 02 June, 2017, 03:12:10 pm »

I  know that Redfalo (aka Olaf on Mercian) is aiming for that train - 7:25. I am undecided on driving yet, may depend on family dibs. Do you actually need to book a cycling space at that time of the morning?!

I certainly hope not  :).  I think it's unlikely and, in fact, I don't recall the option being offered when I booked the ticket.

Technically yes, practically most probably not. you have to call Abellio at least 24 hours in advance , as you cannot book spaces online. i got one a few days ago. but  guards van has plenty of space anyway. there is, of course, the tail risk of running into a real jobsworth...
looking forward to meeting you tomorrow!
olaf

Just been into my local station to pick up my tickets for tomorrow.  After comments above I thought I should check whether I needed to book the bike on my trip; was told no restrictions for taking bikes on the train at weekends i.e. off peak.  (My route is Tonbridge to London Bridge then Stratford to Manningtree.)
Hope this helps...

i'm afraid your local station told you only half the story. there are no restrictions for taking bikes,  but you still technically need a reservation on the intercity line to Norwich. should be no problem in real life though

see here: https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/your-journey/cycling/bikes-on-trains

London Liverpool Street - Norwich Intercity services
Free of charge
Reservations in advance are compulsory
Six dedicated bicycle spaces are available in the Guard’s van.
The Guard’s van will be locked five minutes before departure time from London Liverpool Street and Norwich. Please arrive in good time to make sure your cycle is safely on board by then. At other Intercity stations you must be in place by the Guard's van when the train arrives to be allowed to board. If you arrive after this time you will not be allowed to board the train.

Reservations on the mainline Intercity service can be made by calling our Customer Relations team on 0345 600 7245 and selecting option 8. You must provide at least 24 hours in order to make a reservation. Spaces are subject to availability, on a first come, first served basis.

Now this is where spending time on YACF is really useful - although my employers may not think so. :-\
Have just phoned above number - now have a reservation number for bike.
Many thanks.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #54 on: 02 June, 2017, 05:24:27 pm »
Now this is where spending time on YACF is really useful - although my employers may not think so. :-\
Have just phoned above number - now have a reservation number for bike.
Many thanks.

Oh well - I think I'll take my chances given that it is significantly less than 24 hours before I travel.  I can't imagine there will be that many people travelling to Norwich tomorrow....
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #55 on: 02 June, 2017, 08:47:22 pm »
I am still going to drive over. Looking forward to it now although still very nervous (first 400). Not having much success with finding parking in the town. Found a small car park in Kiln Lane and a sign for free parking which points to a Sommerfield Store. Might end up taking my chances at the station.

Phil W

« Reply #56 on: 02 June, 2017, 09:36:42 pm »
You'll be fine. Just let the fast ones burn away off the front and settle into your own pace. A few including myself will be rolling around 24 hour pace to time it for a beer and bacon finish.

Redlight

« Reply #57 on: 02 June, 2017, 10:00:55 pm »
I'll be in that 24 hour group too. Look out for the ACME jersey and cap, orange Roberts with a massive saddlebag  :)

« Reply #58 on: 03 June, 2017, 08:03:47 am »
Enjoy the ride (and the weather). Turns out my son's Nottingham uni concert band are playing today (we've been meaning to hear him play all year), so it's a drive up the M1 instead. Real life....
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

D

• DD
  • DD
« Reply #59 on: 03 June, 2017, 12:26:15 pm »
looking forward to all your reports from your ride, hope you all have fun!  I am so missing out on all this fun DEARLY have to get back this, although would be great to ride with others to have support especially in the night section.

« Reply #60 on: 04 June, 2017, 05:43:39 pm »
great ride really enjoyed it, if you want any company on the route check give me a shout i will see if i can join and i can always do the perm

Redlight

« Reply #61 on: 05 June, 2017, 12:03:27 pm »
That was a great little ride.

As in previous years, there was a cracking pace up to Ixworth, where I was surprised to see many riders didn't stop, despite the very welcoming Coffee House.  I rode that stretch and the next, to Halesworth, with Yellow Giant, where we enjoyed a very pleasant lunch at The Angel. Somehow, we got separated on the road up to Beccles and so I rode on as far as the Reedham Ferry on my own. Had a nasty encounter on the single track road to the ferry with a woman in a 4x4 who made no attempt to slow down as she came towards me and buffeted me as she passed. After that I became a bit more assertive and stayed in the middle of the road until any oncoming cars were forced to slow.  Got a few dirty looks, but sod them.

At the ferry I picked up a couple that had been on the train out of London and were (in at least one case) riding their first 400. Gave them a tow to Acle, where they went off to the co-op and I went for the cafe by the village green.  Alotronic was among those gathered outside, together with a few others whose faces I know but names I don't.  They all went off ahead of me and I was to spend the next few hours playing tortoise and hare with them.

At Wells it was my turn to go to the co-op, outside which there was a little gathering, some of whom had been down to the seafront and discovered the food options a bit lacking. last time I rode this I blew up badly between Wells and Barton Mills due to eating badly. This time I made sure I was well fed and was able to keep a steady pace all the way.  I even overtook a few people; those that know me will appreciate the novelty of this occurring.  The Alotronic steam train came past me just after Brandon but I didn't quite have the legs to tag on to it and spent the last 10km or so with its collection of red lights just visible up ahead.

I didn't eat much at Barton Mills - a blueberry muffin was about the only palatable thing on McDonald's menu and even that was pretty unpleasant.  I did have some chicken rolls with me and I should have sat outside to eat them but it was starting to cool down and I really didn't fancy it. With hindsight that was a mistake as I was to feel less energetic later in the ride.

The run down to Saffron Walden was uneventful, apart from a very scary near miss with a couple of badgers. They're big, aren't they  :o.  However, the temperature had dropped a lot in the space of just a couple of hours (from 16 to 5 degrees, according to my Garmin) and when I got to the square in SW, I had a serious attack of the shivers.  I was trying to eat the rolls that I had but I reckon I must have also been a bit dehydrated as I found it very hard to chew or swallow. I didn't realise until I looked at the stats, but I wasted more than an hour there, not leaving until about 5.30, which put paid to my aim of finishing at 8.00. 

The final leg is the sting in the tail of this ride but, despite feeling a bit under par, I was able to keep up a reasonable moving speed and was able to stop a few times as the petrol stations were starting to open. All this time, I was craving Banana Milk, which I find the best thing to deal with nausea, but I was able to get some only at the garage just before the Arrivee. I had planned to stop there in any case, in case I needed a receipt for a postal finish, but seeing a fridge full of the stuff was a very welcome moment and I bought a few for the journey home.

As it happened, Huggy was there to stamp cards at the station buffet so I stayed on for a cup of tea (wishing I had the constitutions of those who were tucking into the beer) and picked up the train home - having just missed Kieron Yates, who had kindly offered me a lift back but had needed to leave just before I got in. 

All in all, a great ride and, for me, the first proper use of my new Garmin, which worked like a dream. Thanks to Tomsk and Grant and all the other ACME crew who helped out.

Chris F.cc

• Rapha tart
« Reply #62 on: 05 June, 2017, 01:33:29 pm »
Fabulous ride through some beautiful villages and countryside. Excellent company. Lots of positive support from 'civilians' along the way, especially the Melton Constable driver who pulled up in front of us to return an energy bar we'd dropped. Great Chinese restaurant in Swaffham. Teethgrinder on my wheel. Dapper new ACME hat (BTW why the ducks?)
All just about perfect. Many Thanks.

Boring question for you Tom but it might be vaguely educational for us. The sole ATM in Manningtree wasn't dispensing paper slips. I have a screenshot of it and photo of me by it at 5.15am. Tescos was due to open at 6am but I carried on down the peninsula for breakfast with my parents in Harwich and got an ATM receipt there at 6.10am. I dont mind which time goes in the brevet card. Which is easier for you? - the simple paper receipt from the wrong arrivee or some emailed photos from the right arrivee?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #63 on: 05 June, 2017, 02:41:27 pm »
Fabulous ride through some beautiful villages and countryside. Excellent company. Lots of positive support from 'civilians' along the way, especially the Melton Constable driver who pulled up in front of us to return an energy bar we'd dropped. Great Chinese restaurant in Swaffham. Teethgrinder on my wheel. Dapper new ACME hat (BTW why the ducks?)
All just about perfect. Many Thanks.

Boring question for you Tom but it might be vaguely educational for us. The sole ATM in Manningtree wasn't dispensing paper slips. I have a screenshot of it and photo of me by it at 5.15am. Tescos was due to open at 6am but I carried on down the peninsula for breakfast with my parents in Harwich and got an ATM receipt there at 6.10am. I dont mind which time goes in the brevet card. Which is easier for you? - the simple paper receipt from the wrong arrivee or some emailed photos from the right arrivee?

The ducks are the logo of our apparel supplier, Blackmore :)

I bought a car park ticket for £3 which had the time and location on.  After that some found a permit to ride ticket machine on the platform.
Regards,

Joergen

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #64 on: 05 June, 2017, 02:49:05 pm »
That was an enjoyable day out. A bit sunnier than expected, to which the red face and arms are testament.

The run down to Saffron Walden was uneventful, apart from a very scary near miss with a couple of badgers. They're big, aren't they  :o.

You were lucky! My ride was uneventful until I turned off the main road to leave Sible Hedingham about 02:10 and a dark shape suddenly shot out of the darkness to my left and there was a great thump as we collided. I thought that I was going to be off but managed to stay upright and stop with my right foot on the far bank. Looking behind me I could see a badger lying motionless and silent in the road. I checked my bike and there was, unbelievably, no damage. The badger hadn't moved and I wasn't going anywhere near it to see if it was dead or merely stunned, so I pressed on. Yes, they are big and heavy.

Boring question for you Tom but it might be vaguely educational for us. The sole ATM in Manningtree wasn't dispensing paper slips.
I had the same issue, or lack of issue from the Barclays machine. There is another ATM at the Co-Op just a stone's throw away from the Barclays one but it is carefully concealed behind a outdoor display unit just to the left of the entrance so is almost invisible until you get just a few feet away. Many thanks to the rider who pointed this out to me.

The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

« Reply #65 on: 05 June, 2017, 04:21:27 pm »

Boring question for you Tom but it might be vaguely educational for us. The sole ATM in Manningtree wasn't dispensing paper slips.
I had the same issue, or lack of issue from the Barclays machine. There is another ATM at the Co-Op just a stone's throw away from the Barclays one but it is carefully concealed behind a outdoor display unit just to the left of the entrance so is almost invisible until you get just a few feet away. Many thanks to the rider who pointed this out to me.

I had the same problem and didn't spot the one at the Coop. We took photo's outside the Indian. I then went back to the station because I wanted a selfie with at least the time in the background. The station signs were still active so that would have worked. However I noticed the permit to travel machine. I invested 50p on it and got a printed ticket with place, date and time on it. I think an economy version for 10p would also have worked.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #66 on: 05 June, 2017, 04:32:51 pm »
That was an enjoyable day out. A bit sunnier than expected, to which the red face and arms are testament.

The run down to Saffron Walden was uneventful, apart from a very scary near miss with a couple of badgers. They're big, aren't they  :o.

You were lucky! My ride was uneventful until I turned off the main road to leave Sible Hedingham about 02:10 and a dark shape suddenly shot out of the darkness to my left and there was a great thump as we collided. I thought that I was going to be off but managed to stay upright and stop with my right foot on the far bank. Looking behind me I could see a badger lying motionless and silent in the road. I checked my bike and there was, unbelievably, no damage. The badger hadn't moved and I wasn't going anywhere near it to see if it was dead or merely stunned, so I pressed on. Yes, they are big and heavy.

:o Arrgh.. ninja Badger alert!  Glad you are OK...  Perhaps Tom arranged the badger (he does have history with them.... :facepalm: )

Regards,

Joergen

Chris F.cc

• Rapha tart
« Reply #67 on: 05 June, 2017, 05:12:35 pm »

I had the same problem and didn't spot the one at the Coop. We took photo's outside the Indian. I then went back to the station because I wanted a selfie with at least the time in the background. The station signs were still active so that would have worked. However I noticed the permit to travel machine. I invested 50p on it and got a printed ticket with place, date and time on it. I think an economy version for 10p would also have worked.

Kicking myself. I asked a woman emerging from her house if there were any other ATMs in town and she said no. Her daughter said "isn't there one at the Co-op? and mum said "but it wont be open yet". Other riders seemed to be planning the photo fallback. I should've investigated those station options
Good to know because I am definitely doing this gorgeous ride many more times.

« Reply #68 on: 05 June, 2017, 05:59:26 pm »

Kicking myself. I asked a woman emerging from her house if there were any other ATMs in town and she said no. Her daughter said "isn't there one at the Co-op? and mum said "but it wont be open yet". Other riders seemed to be planning the photo fallback. I should've investigated those station options
Good to know because I am definitely doing this gorgeous ride many more times.

The accepted etiquette in such occasions is to go to the money machine, take out £100, put these receipts into the card and post to controller with the words "hope these will do as proof of passage."

Phil W

« Reply #69 on: 05 June, 2017, 06:39:55 pm »
Barclays ATM wasn't issuing receipts back in April. So I suspect it's a permanent feature rather than just out of paper as I thought back then.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #70 on: 05 June, 2017, 07:14:19 pm »
Same behaviour for G&Y as well
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #71 on: 05 June, 2017, 07:34:00 pm »
There's usually some sort of maybe-a-bit-creative proof-of-passage. The Straggler accosted church-goers leaving a service once, I recall. Carrying on to the next place with an ATM works, but I'll accept your finish time at the proper Arrivee. Selfie is the fall-back option. Before phones with cameras, a DIY info - phone number of a business that could be easily checked, has worked for me before...

For an international transport hub, Manningtree is not really trying hard enough  ;D - the Station Buffet surely has the reputation to get enough customers for breakfast on a Sunday, in summer?

rob

« Reply #72 on: 05 June, 2017, 09:57:30 pm »
There used to be a newsagent on the right as you rode into town who opened about 6 on a Sunday.   He gave me a stamped compliment slip a couple of times that I used before catching the first train home.

Phil W

« Reply #73 on: 06 June, 2017, 12:12:04 am »
There used to be a newsagent on the right as you rode into town who opened about 6 on a Sunday.   He gave me a stamped compliment slip a couple of times that I used before catching the first train home.

Still there

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #74 on: 06 June, 2017, 12:35:48 pm »

Still there

yep, it opened at 6.30am just when I was cycling back from the paper-less Barclay's cashpoint towards the station. Annoyingly, the off-licence would not sell beer until 10am. As I did not fancy waiting that long I bought a full fat coke, pocketed a receipt and rode to the station, where I found the buffet open aldready. And it even sold.... well, I should not write this on the interwebs....

great ride with fantastic company. I'm really pleased as the 2015 edition was my first 400 ever, and I found it bloody hard. This time, I was 3.5 hours faster and still less knackered (the last bit from Saffron Walden to Manningtree was still a challenge though)
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones