Author Topic: VeloSolo track tool  (Read 431 times)

VeloSolo track tool
« on: June 05, 2017, 08:55:56 pm »
It's a 15mm box spanner, unusually made out of aluminium, but thick enough that it's unlikely to deform or break.

Good points: reasonably long (for leverage) and flat (for jersey pocket).  Available in lots of anodised colours and a nice bit of bike jewellery.  Claimed to be lighter than a Campag peanut butter wrench (and a lot cheaper, since peanut butter wrenches go for a fortune these days).

Bad points: still over £20, and heavier than a £2 Cyclo dumbbell spanner, which will do the job unless your nuts are as tight as bobb's.

Overall, I like it but it's an indulgence.
Never tell me the odds.

Re: VeloSolo track tool
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 01:08:01 pm »
I see the price is £25 inc postage!

It's a ring spanner, a box spanner is a different tool:

I haven't used this tool but a top quality £6 standard 15mm combination spanner would be a much better tool in every possible way except weight being 25g heavier, but if you cut off the open end the weight would be about the same.

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 01:54:39 pm »
It's not quite a ring spanner, but not exactly a box spanner either.  The BB axle bolt is recessed in the crank so that the top of the bolt is flush with the crank. Thus a ring spanner won't fit but a box spanner will. Or a ring spanner with a shallow box. Which is what this is. TBH, modern axle bolts that take a hex key make this redundant. More use for spreading the peanut butter on your bread.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 06:58:31 pm »
It's not quite a ring spanner, but not exactly a box spanner either.  The BB axle bolt is recessed in the crank so that the top of the bolt is flush with the crank. Thus a ring spanner won't fit but a box spanner will. Or a ring spanner with a shallow box. Which is what this is. TBH, modern axle bolts that take a hex key make this redundant. More use for spreading the peanut butter on your bread.

You're describing a crank spanner:

which you can also use on track nuts because they happen to be 15mm as well. Yes it's not a normal ring spanner.

The VeloSolo track tool is a ring spanner:

A ring spanner in American is a "box wrench", AFAIK, and "peanut butter wrench" goes in the same category as "Campy", "tires" etc.  ;D