Author Topic: What exhibition have you just been to ?  (Read 5422 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
Re: What exhibition have you just been to ?
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2019, 08:42:07 pm »
Looked into a pop up exhibition down the road, a place that often has something random but not a gallery, and there was something straight from 90s – a video on a Sony Trinitron tv, just like one my mum used to have! – and something for fettlers, a sculpture featuring dozens of zip ties!
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2019, 09:49:57 pm »
Japanese manga (comic books) exhibition at the British Museum, apparently the largest ever outside Japan. Takes over an hour for a fairly quick look.

Followed by a presentation (outside the museum but nearby) by a female Japanese professor on "Love and Desire between Women in Girls' Manga", which provided many insights into Japanese culture.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2019, 07:30:55 pm »
A small exhibition of Japanese prints. Unfortunately, it's the third part of four and I missed the first two. Well I'll just have to make sure I see the last!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2019, 06:55:02 pm »
Various paintings and photos loosely on the theme of 'identity'. The interesting ones where photos of skin cells which the artist had taken from people, grown on slides, and produced macro-photographs or microscope photography of. Not only were the shapes and colours strangely beautiful in their own right, it was the one part of the exhibition that (I felt) actually explored the concept of being or not being who we are. Cells, bodies, identities.

The cells photographed for the show were taken from volunteers but the artist said she also had a nerve ending she'd bought on the internet. This sounds dark but apparently is totally legit and cost only £3.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2019, 06:17:32 pm »
The Fire based exhibition at the RWA. I enjoyed the video of people setting fire to pools of oil on what appeared to be an airfield. Also the charred stumps and some nice paintings, Turner, Ravilious and stuff. Unfortunately there were no opportunities for active fire art-making! There was also a bloke going round taking photos of absolutely every item (even where it said you were not allowed to, but none of the attendants paid any attention) with his phone making skuomorphic shutter and bleeping noises. This annoyed me a bit, then I thought, what a stupid thing to get annoyed about, and ignored his noises.