Author Topic: Giant Full-E+ 2  (Read 1349 times)

Graeme

• Priest, Preacher and Prophet
  • @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
Giant Full-E+ 2
« on: June 21, 2017, 04:08:59 pm »
This is only a little review... I was getting my tourer serviced at Vive le Velo in North Ferriby and enjoying cycling related chat with them over a coffee when the conversation moved to electric assist and why a top of the rnage full suspension mountian bike would need to be spoilt with an engine. They didn't really answer me, they just let me take it for a test ride... the bike answered the questions for them. It was stunning. Unlike a motorbike it was more like having really strong legs. The suspension made descending fear-free, and the hydraulic disc brakes were supremely effective. No fuss. It all worked beautifully without me ever feeling out-of-control. I've written a short review on my journal with some photographs. This was not a full off-road test, just a first impression. Jaw = dropped.
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• 2nd in the world
Re: Giant Full-E+ 2
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 04:43:45 pm »
There's a world of difference between low-end systems which simply detect that you're pedalling and switch on at some set power level, and high-end systems which sense the amount of torque you're producing and add assistance proportionally.  Understandably there's a fair bit of difference between the various manufacturers' implementations, too, which can result in very different feel.

It's cheating, but sometimes cheating is beautiful or even appropriate.  I must admit I'm curious as to what one of these mountain bikes is like to ride off-road...
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 05:28:08 pm »
Once I was toddling along the Bristol-Bath Railway Path when a bloke drew up alongside me and engaged me in cycle nerdery. After a while he said "I'm going to cheat now!" I looked at him quizzically whereupon he pressed a button somewhere and whizzed off electrically. Cheating? Hardly, just going faster. It's only really cheating if you pretend it isn't there, whether that's in competition (obviously; though I'm sure e-bike racing is already here and will develop different classes for different amounts of assistance and so on) or just pretending to yourself.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 08:35:52 pm »
That's half the thing stopping me going electric. How do I record my mileage if it's not all me?

I know that hills and tailwinds mean that it's not always me anyway but at least they're balanced out usually.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 08:44:08 pm »
That's half the thing stopping me going electric. How do I record my mileage if it's not all me?

Count the Watt-hours.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Graeme

• Priest, Preacher and Prophet
  • @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 10:40:15 pm »
I don't think it is cheating really, it is simply riding a bike: and that is a wonderful thing. Even with assist I had to make an effort. Cheating would be pretending you didn't have electric assist and competing. If there's no competition... just fun, then who've you cheated? No one.

+1 to Kim's idea for logging your effort, if that's important. But logging miles travelled isn't about comparisons with others is it? Sometimes it is about reminiscing. 'Wot I did on my bike'.

I hope that electric assist helps more people to ride - and I'm not too bothered if someone overtakes me on a climb using EA, so long as they are enjoying themselves.
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles