Author Topic: Giant Full-E+ 2  (Read 1619 times)

Graeme

• Priest, Preacher and Prophet
  • @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
Giant Full-E+ 2
« on: June 21, 2017, 04:08:59 pm »
This is only a little review... I was getting my tourer serviced at Vive le Velo in North Ferriby and enjoying cycling related chat with them over a coffee when the conversation moved to electric assist and why a top of the rnage full suspension mountian bike would need to be spoilt with an engine. They didn't really answer me, they just let me take it for a test ride... the bike answered the questions for them. It was stunning. Unlike a motorbike it was more like having really strong legs. The suspension made descending fear-free, and the hydraulic disc brakes were supremely effective. No fuss. It all worked beautifully without me ever feeling out-of-control. I've written a short review on my journal with some photographs. This was not a full off-road test, just a first impression. Jaw = dropped.
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Giant Full-E+ 2
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 04:43:45 pm »
There's a world of difference between low-end systems which simply detect that you're pedalling and switch on at some set power level, and high-end systems which sense the amount of torque you're producing and add assistance proportionally.  Understandably there's a fair bit of difference between the various manufacturers' implementations, too, which can result in very different feel.

It's cheating, but sometimes cheating is beautiful or even appropriate.  I must admit I'm curious as to what one of these mountain bikes is like to ride off-road...
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 05:28:08 pm »
Once I was toddling along the Bristol-Bath Railway Path when a bloke drew up alongside me and engaged me in cycle nerdery. After a while he said "I'm going to cheat now!" I looked at him quizzically whereupon he pressed a button somewhere and whizzed off electrically. Cheating? Hardly, just going faster. It's only really cheating if you pretend it isn't there, whether that's in competition (obviously; though I'm sure e-bike racing is already here and will develop different classes for different amounts of assistance and so on) or just pretending to yourself.
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 08:35:52 pm »
That's half the thing stopping me going electric. How do I record my mileage if it's not all me?

I know that hills and tailwinds mean that it's not always me anyway but at least they're balanced out usually.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 08:44:08 pm »
That's half the thing stopping me going electric. How do I record my mileage if it's not all me?

Count the Watt-hours.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Graeme

• Priest, Preacher and Prophet
  • @FatherHilarious
    • BalancingOnTwoWheels
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 10:40:15 pm »
I don't think it is cheating really, it is simply riding a bike: and that is a wonderful thing. Even with assist I had to make an effort. Cheating would be pretending you didn't have electric assist and competing. If there's no competition... just fun, then who've you cheated? No one.

+1 to Kim's idea for logging your effort, if that's important. But logging miles travelled isn't about comparisons with others is it? Sometimes it is about reminiscing. 'Wot I did on my bike'.

I hope that electric assist helps more people to ride - and I'm not too bothered if someone overtakes me on a climb using EA, so long as they are enjoying themselves.
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles