Author Topic: Schwalbe Marathon SUPREME 700c x 35  (Read 1223 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Schwalbe Marathon SUPREME 700c x 35
« on: June 28, 2017, 02:32:27 pm »
Well seeing as one of my Schwalbe Spicers came apart, I've invested in an up market pair of marathon SUPREMES in 700c x 35 flavour. Not that I was dissapointed with the spicers, and I did think a while about it.  2 Spicers in 35mm  could be had for £12.68 each but P+P was an additional £7.50. OR 2 Supremes for £29.99 each free postage. Yes twice the price, but the Supremes have a new 'one star' compound,  that is the latest thing apparently, and the folding beads save 150g per tyre. I'm not sure they are worth the price they ask for them yet, but the reviews are very good. Yes I could have gone for Voyager Hypers on special at PX, but they are not a winter grade tyre, and reports of folks taking them off when the weather turns, as they get visitations, put me off. So the fact that I had over 4500km of visitation free cycling in ALL weathers, even rough stuff,from the Spicers, persuaded me to stay with schwalbe.

WP_20170628_10_22_59_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

so what do you get? A nice box, proclaiming 'made in Indonesia'  and a folded tyre that looks rather out of shape.

WP_20170628_10_23_55_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

Not bad for a 35mm tyre   ;)

WP_20170628_10_35_35_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

On to the fitment.  I removed the 'well used tube' and counted the patches ...........11 in all. Considering the millage the tyres had done with out a visit, the tube was getting on a bit!  Anyway no sense throwing it away just yet, so I fitted it in the new tyre. Hisssss!!!!  Bugga the valve had pulled out of the tube, which explains my having to pump up on a ride last week.
The folding beads are slightly more difficult to fit and I would say slightly harder than the 30mm Wire bead Spicers, but still managed to get them both on with just my thumbs. Pumped them up to 90 psi for an hour then let them down to 5 bar, 75psi, to start This gives them the best rolling resistance (least) 16.9 watts . (its even less at 90 psi but that's too much for the tyre , it states max 5 bar).

WP_20170628_11_03_12_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

WP_20170628_11_04_25_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

this is fitted to a H+son TB14 rim (19mm wide)

WP_20170628_11_49_04_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

I removed the ghastly schwalbe reflective  band, it just peels off, not only is it 'orrible, but they never seem able to put in on straight, so when you spin the wheel , it looks like a circus bike.  Had to let the mudguards out a bit, front and back. and now I'm all ready   to go.

I had to re calibrate my speedo to suit the new size. Now there's a thing. How does one calibrate a speedo. Well you can go off the chart that comes with the computer, you can measure the height and x 3.14, or you can put tape on the tyre, mark the ground, roll forward 1 revolution, and mark the ground again, which is what I did with a figure of 2193mm as opposed to the other 'different ' results. If I am wrong then please enlighten me.
I will post up again once I have ridden it, ( not feeling that well today, plus airport run later) and keep a record of mileage / visits, as I did with the Spicers

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjc7LO0z-DUAhXBKlAKHXVDDAsQFghtMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bicyclerollingresistance.com%2Ftour-reviews%2Fschwalbe-marathon-supreme-2016&usg=AFQjCNFnBSMZjicF7gjJGeLYmmJmSID9yQ

here's link to the rolling resistance ting

Re: Schwalbe Marathon SUPREME 700c x 35
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 02:48:57 pm »
I've been using these on my commuter fixed for the last couple of years.  Done about 4,500 km on them and don't think I've had a puncture yet.  They're not the fastest of tyres (not as quick as Panaracer Gravel Kings or Challenge Strada Biancas in similar sizes) but seem OK.  I don't like the reflective strip either, but left it on as it doesn't do any harm on a bike mostly used for commuting.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 03:08:15 pm »
If you are being really picky about the bike computer calibration, you should do the rolling forward thing while you are on the bike.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

dim

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 03:17:36 pm »
I rode approx 4500km with a pair (26 inch wheels) on my Surly LHT .... I never had any punctures, and they roll ok ... Rode during summer and winter and used the bike as my daily commuter, and eventually sold the bike

I actually wanted Compass Rat Trap Pass tyres, but got a good deal on the Supreme. There are 2 types .... the older and the newer. The newer version is better according to some posts on other forums

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 10:49:19 pm »
If you are being really picky about the bike computer calibration, you should do the rolling forward thing while you are on the bike.

And over several revolutions, so you get an average.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 02:33:19 pm »
Recently put a 35c set on my LHT tubeless on Archetypes. The best road tyre I have ridden. Light, fast and tubeless they soak up the road vibration very well.
I did have a regular set previously in 26" flavour 26x1.6 and they lasted ages and again were great. Chucked them when the sidewall threads came out so much they eventually started to split. Still had plenty of tread left and only had 2 visitations in 3 years

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 06:45:29 pm »
Well, first ride today on the commute, so journey home was a bit slower, (tired) , and what can I say... At first I thought my speedo calibration was way out, as the speed seemed excessive. I mentioned to a chum recently that I always seem to be in one cog, the middle one (at the back) so much so that I had contemplated making Olive single speed x3. Anyway , whilst being a gog at my reading on the 'tell tale machine', I happened to glance down at the rear block... I wasn't in my usual 'Middling sort', I was in fact 3 sprockets further down the food chain😨so my speed reading was correct. To cap it all, my last commute was 37km, this time it was 37.8km, on exactly the same route.so near enough on the calibration front I  feel . They are very comfy, and I have them at 75 psi ( 5 bar) at present. My avg speed was also up ..prob 1.5 kmh ish  so pleased so far.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 08:10:58 pm »
I suggested you do something like this a while ago. Glad you’re seeing a tangible difference. It doesn’t surprise me.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 08:34:07 pm »
I suggested you do something like this a while ago. Glad you’re seeing a tangible difference. It doesn’t surprise me.

I bow to your great knowledge OBI 1, but being a skinflint, I only chose this route due to the premature demise of my existing tyre. However I remember this comment that you made, and it has been lodged in my brain ever since,so in a way i'm glad of the Spicers demise. Thank you  ;)

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 08:40:19 pm »
Ha. I’m a skinflint myself, but I have learned that I’m rarely happy with cheap tyres.

Here’s to hoping these Supremes last at least as long as the Spicers, which, after all, didn’t do too badly. With a genuine race tyre, you’d never have got to 4,000 km in the first place!

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 06:06:50 pm »
I have the 32mm folding bead version of these tyres on my Hewitt Cheviot touring bike, I love them! Am now on my second set, but think the first set lasted about 2-3 years before they got to the point where they were worn enough to get a couple of punctures (had none before then), but this was for a pretty high mileage. I had regular Schwalbe Marathon tyres on before and hadn't realised until I switched to these how horrible they had been making the bike feel, putting these on suddenly made the bike feel free somehow and much more pleasant to ride and quite noticeably faster, but they still seem rugged enough for loaded road touring (did loads of miles on them in France last year).  Big thumbs-up from me!
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 11:51:17 am »
just topped 1000km.  still got bobbles on center of front one..

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 11:53:30 am »
mileage log on these (don't forget to double it as there are 2 tyres)  will be updated regularly
IE

distance travelled so far       3503     km             

visitations       front   2                 rear  1

wee thorn               flint slash
                     wee thorn

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 06:47:49 pm »
I am running these tubeless on my Surly

They are good tyres.  Christophe, if they are " The best road tyre I have ridden" you need to try some others.  They are possibly the best touring/commuting tyre but there are a whole load of road tyres (from the racing end of affairs) that are much more comfy/fast/grippy

Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 12:58:05 pm »
Hmm! These tyres don't like wee thorns. >:(

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 03:12:01 pm »
Hmm! These tyres don't like wee thorns. >:(
Are there any tyres apart from the likes of marathon greenguard / marathon plus, or tubeless which like wee sharp thorns?

MOB

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 09:17:34 pm »
Have these on my Pearson Compass touring bike: cracking tyres - definitely the best road touring tyre I've used.