Author Topic: Northcape 4000  (Read 1799 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
Northcape 4000
« on: July 28, 2017, 02:10:43 pm »
Yet another long distance race across a continent. This one is from Florence to the North Cape of Norway and starts tomorrow (29th July). At 8:30 in the morning, so just a few hours after TCR. Bizarrely, I heard about it this morning from an Indian cycling forum! (a Bangalorean has entered)
http://www.bikepacking.com/event/northcape-4000-2017/
A cup of tea is the perfect bridge between real life and cake.

Re: Northcape 4000
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 02:49:07 pm »
Bizarre event. Conflicts with TCR, nearly 200 euro fee and it is just a start-finish with 4 checkpoints.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 03:05:57 pm »
I agree, actually. The start date seems especially odd. I don't know if it's a clash through ignorance of TCR, or because the two events appeal to different people, or an attempt to scupper the TCR. Or just lack of dates available. I don't think the second makes sense as they're both self-supported races crossing the same continent, it seems incredibly unlikely they haven't heard of TCR and very odd to make a deliberate clash, so I guess there just is enough interest in this type of event now to support two at the same time in the same place. Having found their website, they list about 80 riders. http://www.northcape4000.com/en/riders
There are also 4 control points, which they refer to as gates.
Gates

For the first edition of the NorthCape400 there are 4 Gates (checkpoints) along the route. These are strategically placed in areas of geographical significance, and are the only obligatory points along the route. At each checkpoint, participants will be asked to validate their travel. If, for whatever reason, any or all of the gates are missed the participant will be automatically disqualified.

The four gates (checkpoints) are listed below:

• G1 - Innsbruck - Nickname “The Peak” - Bike Point RadSport
Gumppstraße 20, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria - N 47° 15' 51.2" - E 11° 24' 39.155"
• G2 - Nuremberg - Nickname “The Judgement” - KNAUS CampingPark
Hans-Kalb-Straße 56, 90471 Nürnberg, Germany - N 49° 25' 23.551" - E 11° 7' 17.364"
• G3 - Stockholm - Nickname “Fiftyseven” - Specialized Concept Store
Skeppsmäklargatan 33, 120 69 Stockholm, Sweden N 59° 18' 20.534" - E 18° 6' 43.688"
• G4 - Rovaniemi - Nickname “Arctic Circle” - Santa Claus Office / Arctic Circle
Joulumaantie 1, 96930 Napapiiri - Rovaniemi Finland - N 66° 32' 36.393" -E 25° 50' 52.849"
http://www.northcape4000.com/en/nc4000/bike-challenge-2017

So in fact marginally more route control than on TCR. The more I read about it, the more it seems like perpendicular TCR!

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 03:17:22 pm »
So in fact marginally more route control than on TCR. The more I read about it, the more it seems like perpendicular TCR!
The TCR has 4 mandatory controls and live route tracking (all riders carry trackers). I don't think Northcape uses trackers.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 03:33:40 pm »
I thought TCR's 4 controls included the finish? Northcape has 4 intermediate controls plus the finish. It's not clear how you "validate your travel" at the CPs but they do use SPOT trackers and/or a phone app:
Live tracking of all the participants during the event is via the SPOT tracking device or alternatively for those participants without a SPOT device via the Smartphone APP that will be provided, free of charge, by the organisers. The use of a tracking device, be it the SPOT device or via the smartphone app is obligatory and allows all participants to update their position during the length of the event. About the smartphone App, please note that from June 2017, all over Europe, international roaming will be abolished, so this means that you are free to use the internet from your smartphone as if you were at home and without additional costs, regardless of whether you are in Italy, Germany or Finland.
That's Rule 4. http://www.northcape4000.com/en/rules-regulations-northcape4000
There are only 7 rules and some of those are very general and vague:
The freedom of interpretation is a fundamental principle of NorthCape4000. You are free to tackle the course on their own or in teams, with people known on the day of departure or with a group of friends.
The organization does not recommend participants to cycle during nighttime and, in any case, where there is low visibility or poor safety conditions. If you decide to do this, it is mandatory to use an appropriate front and rear lighting system as well as a high visibility reflective clothing. Cycling consecutively for many days, with few or no rest, can cause hallucinations and drastically lower the threshold of attention on the road and the perception of danger.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 03:34:49 pm »
I guess one attraction of this over TCR might be the greater climatic range, starting in northern Italy and finishing on the Arctic Circle. Could be especially challenging for the entrant from South India!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 03:38:30 pm »
As for the cost:
Subscription includes:

• Riders entering the page with personal data/photos of the participant

• Live tracking during the event with smartphone app or personal SPOT.

• Insurance MSP

• Race-pack

• Gadgets NorthCape4000

• NorthCape4000 Finisher’s certificate

• Inclusion in the Finishers page 2017.
So your 200 euros gets you insurance, tracking so your friends and sponsors can follow you, and a commemorative mug (or something). And your name on a list! I've no idea how much TCR costs though.

And very usefully:
Subscription does not include:

Everything that is not indicated in the list of subscription
!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 06:13:37 pm »

Isn't the TCR about 300 euro?

It is my understanding that at least for men, the TCR is massively over subscribed every year, hence the lottery to see who gets to ride.

Sounds to me like this event is for those who want a mad long distance race in .eu, but weren't able to get selected for the TCR.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 07:45:10 pm »

It is my understanding that at least for men, the TCR is massively over subscribed every year, hence the lottery to see who gets to ride.

Sounds to me like this event is for those who want a mad long distance race in .eu, but weren't able to get selected for the TCR.

J
I'm not sure. In 2016 the TCR was £200.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 08:03:13 pm »

I'm not sure. In 2016 the TCR was £200.

In 2016 £200 was about €300 :p

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 08:10:57 pm »
the

J

Yes, that's right - the timing is designed to give people who couldn't get into the TCR another summer ride option.
Alex Bourgonnier, who came second in the TCR a couple of years ago, is riding

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 08:11:47 pm »
In which case the "clash" of dates is, obviously, not a clash.