Author Topic: Vango bio-ethanol spirit fuel for Trangia stoves  (Read 393 times)

Vango bio-ethanol spirit fuel for Trangia stoves
« on: August 15, 2017, 03:03:16 pm »
https://www.proadventure.co.uk/acatalog/Vango-Bio-Ethanol-Fuel--500ml-62673.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu7eNk7PZ1QIVDS0ZCh37tAFTEAQYASABEgLWS_D_BwE

This stuff works fine. The only problem was the bottle lid which was so tamper proof I couldn't open it. Brute force and ignorance applied ;D

Oscar's dad

• Cheers!
    • Feast
Re: Vango bio-ethanol spirit fuel for Trangia stoves
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 03:21:27 pm »
Does it leave a sooty deposit on the bottom of your pans like meths does?

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:44:10 am »
Does it leave a sooty deposit on the bottom of your pans like meths does?

Yes, but didn't seem as bad, although I only did a couple of brew-ups.  I'll be using it more extensively next weekend and will gather some more observations.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 10:00:14 am »
"Approved by the Scout Association" - my scout troop would probably have drunk the stuff.
Seriously, if it is ethanol, what stops you from drinking it?

ps. A snippet of information - it is entirely possible ot make ethanol from chemical processes. However to be sold for human consumption, spirits must be the result of a distillation. So you cannot (legally) mass produce cheap vodka.
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 10:13:48 am »
"Approved by the Scout Association" - my scout troop would probably have drunk the stuff.
Seriously, if it is ethanol, what stops you from drinking it?

Usually bitrex is added. No different from any of the other alcohol fuels on the market.

Almost no 'meths' is actually methanol, because methanol is very toxic. It's ethanol with bitrex.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 11:04:09 am »
Traditionally, meths contains 5 to 10% methanol to deliberately make it poisonous, though this is not always actually found to be present (according to some testers).

Tasting meths: https://youtu.be/ep2I3Gf3Sec

Some alcoholics somehow tolerate the outrageous taste of Bitrex.  Toxic amounts of methanol have been found in their blood: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3464894
●●●  My eBay items & cycle computer mini magnets  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 12:28:24 pm »
I know someone whose parents painted their nails with that Bittrex stuff to stop them biting them as a kid.  Predictably, they developed a taste for Bittrex.

You only have to consider the enduring popularity of beer to realise what was going to happen.

(I experimented with running my Trangia on laboratory-grade methanol at one point.  It burned impressively cleanly, but with a noticeably lower heat.  In contrast, isopropyl alcohol is a hot sooty mess.  Stick to ethanol.)
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 02:30:01 pm »
...Bittrex....[\quote]
It is a pity bottles of meths/denatured alcohol don't have to clearly specify whether bitrex is used or the old pairing of pyridine and methanol. (I suspect if bio-ethanol is clear then it must be the new EU spec and have bitrex?).
I haven't come across any dinner ruining-by-spilt-on-fingers meths yet so either have been lucky or am immune to bitter tastes...

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 03:28:57 pm »
Eating milk chocolate will take away the horrible taste of Bitrex (denatonium benzoate), worth keeping a bar of Dairy Milk in with your cooking kit just in case?

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 08:32:55 pm »
...Bittrex....
It is a pity bottles of meths/denatured alcohol don't have to clearly specify whether bitrex is used or the old pairing of pyridine and methanol. (I suspect if bio-ethanol is clear then it must be the new EU spec and have bitrex?).
I haven't come across any dinner ruining-by-spilt-on-fingers meths yet so either have been lucky or am immune to bitter tastes...