Author Topic: Early rider Belter 16 - kids bike  (Read 925 times)

Early rider Belter 16 - kids bike
« on: August 29, 2017, 09:53:48 am »
Bit the bullet and flashed the cash over the bank holiday on an Early Rider Belter 16 kids bike like this
https://www.evanscycles.com/early-rider-belter-16-kids-bike-EV238715?esvt=54362-GOUKE2244260&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1215402-1&esvcrea=183877384942&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvtg=pla-305648538214&esvo=EV238715-NA-SVR&esvaid=50080&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhtqgx4X81QIV7rztCh3h_wb7EAQYASABEgKPVvD_BwE

Bought it from the LBS in Brockenhurst who sportingly gave us 20% off when they could see us seriously wavering towards going home and getting a second hand Islabike from somewhere.  I wouldn't buy it from Evans after this sexist comment (see link above) "...and dad doesn't have to worry about maintaining it" :o

My 4.75 year old lad, NanoQ, only learned to ride in June, and since we got the new bike he's barely been off it.  The various second hand BSOs he's tried to date are way too heavy, have poor geometry and rubbish brakes.  The Early Rider really is a superb bit of kit - very light, excellent brakes, pseudo-Brookes style saddle and a rubber belt drive instead of a chain.  The belt is a bit gimmicky, but it's been through streams, mud and the like while camping this weekend and works excellently.  A very worthwhile alternative to an Islabikes Cnoc.

We even had our first family bike ride all together (4 miles, with biscuit-based motivation) with MicroQ and NanoQ.

NanoQ also rode his friend's Wiggins Macon, which is a fair bit cheaper than the Early Rider even after the discount we got.  This is also a very competent bike.

Re: Early rider Belter 16 - kids bike
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 12:30:02 pm »
I wouldn't buy it from Evans after this sexist comment (see link above) "...and dad doesn't have to worry about maintaining it" :o

That's part of the product description on the manufacturer's website ...

Re: Early rider Belter 16 - kids bike
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:32:31 pm »
I wouldn't buy it from Evans after this sexist comment (see link above) "...and dad doesn't have to worry about maintaining it" :o

That's part of the product description on the manufacturer's website ...

Thanks for flagging that up.  I have chastised the manufacturer and requested they update their website, and their attitudes forthwith.