Author Topic: 'Gotchas' when riding overseas brevets  (Read 2969 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: 'Gotchas' when riding overseas brevets
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2018, 06:57:52 am »
Continuing OT for a moment, traditionally recidivist PBPers had a noticeably higher finish rate than first-timers, supposedly because of experience being an advantage. That hasn't been the case for several editions. I can't imagine why the situation would have reversed, using your reasoning.

Perhaps the anciennes are getting older on average.

Than when they were newbies? At least four years older, I'd guess.

The average age of PBPers has been almost static over the past couple of decades, a little under 50 and creeping up perhaps 6 months each edition. I'm not sure whether it was much younger before then.

It wouldn't surprise me if the average age dropped at the next edition. Asian randonneurs tend to be younger than the typical Aussie, Brit and Yank.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Samuel D

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2018, 10:28:24 am »
I think the vast resource of the internet has steadily reduced the value of experience (not to zero, I feel I must emphasise despite its obviousness). Perhaps newbies to PBP are better informed and better prepared than they’ve ever been, having had the luxury of reading ten thousand forum posts from those who went before them and having spent three grand on every conceivable utensil, garment, and unction that might get them around?

Has the overall finish rate trended upward? It might not have even if the above is true, since people of every age may feel more emboldened to try things beyond certainty of success than was the case decades ago; but if the finish rate is improving overall, it would tend to support my theory.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2018, 10:44:46 am »
The PBP DNF rate is trending slightly worse over time. I suspect that result is inevitable, given that mostly true hardrider types tend to tackle these sorts of things initially, when there is little information/ history available. Other folk get drawn into riding tough events by the seeming 'normality/ ease/ mythology' of doing them once enough folk have ridden it before.

A bit off-topic again though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2018, 05:42:51 pm »
I find that on the Normandie Audaxes I've done, it's not unusual for some controls to have no food or refreshment options; so it's best to feed when you spot a nice cafe/ supermarche and bounce the official con trol.