Author Topic: New Tracker system for £25  (Read 943 times)

dim

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Re: New Tracker system for £25
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:13:45 am »
Have you tried it yet

dim

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 10:18:06 am »
Have you tried it yet

no .... you first  ;D
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:21:50 am »

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:41:06 am »
It looks like it is bluetooth based and relies on other users to track it in the wider world...

...other users who have bluetooth & GPS active.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 02:42:54 pm »
These have been on the market for pets for a while. Again, the bad thing being that you are relying on a density of other users for it to work.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 03:29:42 pm »
Yes, there has been quite a few of these tracker systems around already.
Most popular is probably Tile, now costs £16. Though a non-replaceable battery, you are supposed to buy a new one when it runs out after a year or so.
Good to see that TrackR is advertising replaceable batteries.
Or there's a variety of cheap Chinese copies.

Probably most useful for finding small things, which are lost fairly close to you. eg your keys or wallet.
Also could be useful if you forgot where you parked your bike, your phone would record the location where it was last seen.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 08:18:32 am »
So it relies on there being many other people being within bluetooth range? Sounds utterly useless apart from in extremely densely populated areas.
Besides, who leaves bluetooth configured so it can connect to any random device?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 08:57:13 am »
It uses BLE advertising packets so doesn't need the phone to connect to locate it.
I put a couple these in my caravan in California. I think our own phones were the only to ever pick it up, and this was in silicon valley about as densely populated tech heavy area you can get.
The battery died after a disappointingly short time (couple months) and I haven't bothered to replace it yet.

The coverage entirely depends on the size of the network of users with the app installed - in this respect all the copycat rip-offs are a big drawback as they divide the population into smaller groups. Ideally they'd all use a single protocol and so any app could report any maker's tracker, but that'd take too much cooperation to ever happen