Author Topic: Flu jab  (Read 7611 times)

Flu jab
« on: January 12, 2018, 06:33:56 pm »
MrsC is trying to persuade me that I should get a flu jab. I'm not in any of the 'at risk' groups (58, pretty good health in general).
What do the panel, particularly the medically informed members, think.

TIA
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• 2nd in the world
Re: Flu jab
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 06:35:55 pm »
Having the flu is rubbish, even without the lingering chest infection that I'm prone to.  Downsides of the jab consist of a mildly sore arm, and having to walk across the road to go and get one.  No-brainer if you ask me.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:12:35 pm »
We weren't offered one this year and though disappointed, have been too lazy to push, despite our surgery being only about 150 metres away.

I'd go for it if offered.

I'm 59 and healthy apart from MS. Partner is younger & mildly asthmatic but had no recent treatment.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:54:55 pm »
I fall into several categories, age, health x 2.  I was always invited but never bothered until last year (my GP ambushed me during a regular repeat prescription reviereview appointment )
As I don't cycle anything like as much these days I thought it best to do it this year as well.
Neither of them gave me a sore arm or the mini 'flu symptoms I hear others mention.
In my opinion you have nothing to lose.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:04:55 pm »
Herd immunity.

I haven't had mine yet, should get it. I'd have to pay but £10 isn't much and if I get the 'flu I'll be sad.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:11:50 pm »
Herd immunity.

Seems unlikely to happen if the vaccine is only given to at-risk groups.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:59:19 pm »
I had mine, I’m severaly asthmatic so in an at-risk group. No side effects really this year- arm was sore for maybe 3 hours afterwards. For the first time I had it done at my chemists, who have only recently done the training to do it. I had to pick up my inhaler prescriptions anyway so didnt have to go out of my way at all.

I think if I didnt get one anyway I would pay for it to be homest- flu is unpleasant, inconvenient and expensive if you’re self employed. At the moment lurgy in this house means my daughter and grandson can’t visit my ex husband who is on chemo, so not worth risking at all anyway.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 10:07:14 pm »
I had it for the first time.

Didn't feel the jab and no side effects (and I'm a wuss).

Real Flu is an absolute bitch and a total waste of 3 weeks of your life (unless you actually enjoy sweating on the Sofa, groaning and watching Jeremy Kyle).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:29:53 pm »
Herd immunity.
Flu being as variable as it is, vaccination isn't effective enough to give herd immunity.

It's generally about 50% effective. If you halve the number getting flu, that leaves plenty of people to catch it off.
It would make a big difference to clogged up hospitals though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 10:38:50 pm »
And their staff...

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 09:09:00 am »
I’m another 60 year old. I’ve had the vaccination for the last 5 years. Do it. If it can kill 16 year olds any protection is to be welcomed.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 10:26:20 am »
I’m another 60 year old. I’ve had the vaccination for the last 5 years. Do it. If it can kill 16 year olds any protection is to be welcomed.

Any chance of limiting it to 16-year-olds on light motorbikes?
Où sont les merguez d'antan ?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 10:53:00 am »
I didn’t have it 3 years ago (not familiar with the German health system then) and got the flu. Three weeks of lying in bed feeling like death, and included fainting in the shower. Fortunately my landlady looked after me, gave me food when I felt like eating and walked the dog. The flu gave me liver trouble which was worrying for several weeks. The tests for the liver problem on my private insurance meant I had to pay out of pocket (500 Euro excess) and because the treatment spanned over my insurance renewal I had to pay the excess again on the last set of tests. Set me back 700€. I wish I’d had the jab...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 04:00:23 pm »
My younger sister caught whooping cough. 
I'm slightly too old for the whooping cough vaccine. Although my story is nothing like as tragic as PB's I and my two sisters had six weeks of school, with my parents changing all our bedlinen most nights after we'd been sick for several of those weeks. I was still suffering the after effects a year later; I would get a coughing fit if I got agitated about anything. Child number four had been vaccinated and was OK (to the best of my recollection). Child number five was about a year old and I remember the doctor discussing 'mortality rates' with my mother. I assume he didn't realise I could work out what that meant. A bit scary for a nine year old.

I will be arranging to have the flu jab next week.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 04:35:20 pm »
I have had the flu jab several winters in a row. I haven't had flu.

Last winter, I had it in early November and spent the rest of the month in lots of arthritic pain. OK, correlation, causation...

This winter, I haven't had a flu jab. I think the past few months have been my most pain-free since I first suffered RA symptoms some 13 years ago. I haven't had flu.

OTOH, my daughter's family have been through the mill with a series of nasty infections including tonsillitis and scarlet fever. I think she said they hadn't had flu jabs. Do they normally give flu jabs to primary school aged children?
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 04:39:35 pm »
OTOH, my daughter's family have been through the mill with a series of nasty infections including tonsillitis and scarlet fever. I think she said they hadn't had flu jabs. Do they normally give flu jabs to primary school aged children?

Not usually AFAIK but it might be introduced in some areas.

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 04:53:55 pm »
I've had 'flu*. I did in fact confuse it with a snot nose/cold. There is an overlap between symptoms and not everyone responds the same. Although I didn't feel all that bad, and had no time off work, I did have a reduced white blood cell count.

* Confirmed by blood tests.

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 04:58:39 pm »
Do they normally give flu jabs to primary school aged children?

Don’t know about elsewhere, but they do in Scotland nowadays:
http://www.immunisationscotland.org.uk/vaccines-and-diseases/seasonalflu/childflu.aspx

The flu vaccine is offered to all children in Scotland aged 2–5 years (and not yet in school) at their GP practice (children must be aged 2 years or above on 1 September 2017 to be eligible). It is also offered to all primary school children at school.

I believe that part of the reasoning is that as well as being less able to fight off the flu themselves, small children often spend time with their elderly grandparents, who might be as ignorant as Dim and have failed to take advantage of the vaccine, and this gives them one less source of infection. Anyone who has had children at nursery school (or has witnessed the effect demonstrated by a work colleague with children) knows what efficient little germ vectors they can be...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 05:04:23 pm »
Do they normally give flu jabs to primary school aged children?

Don’t know about elsewhere, but they do in Scotland nowadays:
http://www.immunisationscotland.org.uk/vaccines-and-diseases/seasonalflu/childflu.aspx

The flu vaccine is offered to all children in Scotland aged 2–5 years (and not yet in school) at their GP practice (children must be aged 2 years or above on 1 September 2017 to be eligible). It is also offered to all primary school children at school.

I believe that part of the reasoning is that as well as being less able to fight off the flu themselves, small children often spend time with their elderly grandparents, who might be as ignorant as Dim and have failed to take advantage of the vaccine, and this gives them one less source of infection. Anyone who has had children at nursery school (or has witnessed the effect demonstrated by a work colleague with children) knows what efficient little germ vectors they can be...

Makes sense. I don't think they do this in England but I have no direct current knowledge/experience. I don't have kids myself and although I have young relatives within the area, I don't know which vaccines they are offered.

dim

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 05:13:10 pm »
 :o .... the whole thread has been 'trimmed'  ::-)

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 05:18:29 pm »
A 9-year-old from the Pyrenees died of flu yesterday.
Où sont les merguez d'antan ?

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 05:20:11 pm »
Anti-vaccination posts have been quarantined, not deleted.

Check at Office Reception...

dim

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 05:30:38 pm »

Check at Office Reception...

Ooooh .... now I get it :

(click to show/hide)
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 05:32:03 pm »
A 9-year-old from the Pyrenees died of flu yesterday.

And a British teenager died within the last few days.

To be fair, she is unlikely to have been eligible for the vaccine.

These illnesses are NOT trivial and immunisations are VERY thoroughly tested. Mishaps can occur, granted, but the balance of risk is WAY in favour of immunisation.

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 05:32:26 pm »

Why?
R10000 x 2   RRtY x 7    SR x 7    E = 128