Author Topic: Flu jab  (Read 7612 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Flu jab
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2018, 09:36:28 pm »

Couple of flu jab questions.

I know that each year's flu jab is different, based on which stains they are expecting each winter, but does it also vary by country? So if I get the jab in one country, but am predominantly in another, even if they are neighbouring countries, would it still give me some cover?

I've had something flu like this last week, Not sure if I got it form the conference last week, or the peoples vote march last Saturday, but it's sucked big time. Once I'm symptom free, is it still worth getting the flu jab? I'm not in an at risk group, but am more than happy to pay if it means I don't spend a week in bed.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2018, 09:44:33 pm »
Phoned my doc last week for a flu jab.  They've run out of the over 65 version.  I'll try again next week.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2018, 09:46:02 pm »
@QG: According to the WHO website, there are different jabs for northern and southern hemispheres, as opposed to adjacent countries. There is an “influenza season” in each, and the vaccines are tailored to suit and reviewed every 6 months.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small just Far Away at the back
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2018, 11:36:38 pm »
Should have been paying more attention to which one is being used for Staff Immunization in Scotland; I only picked up the leaflet to waste time afterwards waiting for the refilled tub of sweets to return...

Arm seemed to be hurt for a bit longer than last year.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2018, 06:16:09 am »
Phoned my doc last week for a flu jab.  They've run out of the over 65 version.  I'll try again next week.
Same in my local version of boots.

I've been offered the jab as an at risk group, but I generally don't take it, I think one year in the last five
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2018, 10:31:53 am »
Arm seemed to be hurt for a bit longer than last year.

I think that depends on the picador's siting and technique rather than the vaccine, and maybe on your current general level of inflammation. Chappie on radio explained that the vaccine doesn't contain weakened viruses, dead viruses or even complete viruses but rather broken-up bits, and can't possibly give you a disease.

My jabs usually hurt longer than MrsT's because (I think), being diabetic, I'm more liable to develop inflammation than she is.
Où sont les merguez d'antan ?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2018, 01:42:54 pm »
we also tend to heal slower, so I'm told.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2018, 02:08:21 pm »
It's all jolly, innit?
Où sont les merguez d'antan ?