Author Topic: Flu jab  (Read 5348 times)

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
Re: Flu jab
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 05:38:37 pm »
Anti-vaccination posts have been quarantined, not deleted.

Why?

'Debate' about vaccination in general belongs elsewhere.

dim

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 06:00:27 pm »
Anti-vaccination posts have been quarantined, not deleted.

Why?

'Debate' about vaccination in general belongs elsewhere.

well in that case, I'm glad that we don't' discuss the 9/11 conspiracy, or the moon landing hoax on this site  ;D

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 06:04:07 pm »
That is because we try to avoid such blatant idiocy here.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

dim

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 06:16:31 pm »

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 06:23:07 pm »
dim,

How about just taking your vaccination conspiracy theories and other trash into POBI please?  Taking the piss makes you look even more stupid.   

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 06:34:09 pm »
Well dim, now we know how much credence to give any of your 'carefully considered' opinions.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

dim

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 06:36:53 pm »
dim,

How about just taking your vaccination conspiracy theories and other trash into POBI please?  Taking the piss makes you look even more stupid.

HEY .... I thought that this thread was discussing flu jabs/vaccinations? .... I am anti vac as previously stated and have linked very good links such as the link to the VAXXED video which was removed from here (which can be found on youtube, but which is also banned in some countries) .... watch the video and listen to 1st hand footage from people who have had very bad experiences ....

I'm not taking the piss, but am merely passing info which I find relevant to this thread .... if you disagree, I don't give a fuck, but don't take the piss if someone does not agree with your thoughts ....

... and if you disagree with what I say or quote, then be adult about it and give your reasons why you disagree .... Fuck .... you are not 12 years old!!! ... grow up mate!!

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2018, 06:43:44 pm »
I refer you to your own piss taking post and the reason that I suggested that you take your debate to the appropriate place.

That is because we try to avoid such blatant idiocy here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwPsFz85gGw

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 06:44:37 pm »
Just take it elsewhere.

The OP was about whether to get a flu jab as a precautionary measure - there is a national shortage of the vaccinations, it is a reasonable question.

Debates about vax/anti-vax belong in POBI
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2018, 06:46:41 pm »
dim,

HEY .... I thought that this thread was discussing flu jabs/vaccinations? .... I am anti vac as previously stated and have linked very good links such as the link to the VAXXED video which was removed from here (which can be found on youtube, but which is also banned in some countries) .... watch the video and listen to 1st hand footage from people who have had very bad experiences ....

I'm not taking the piss, but am merely passing info which I find relevant to this thread .... if you disagree, I don't give a fuck, but don't take the piss if someone does not agree with your thoughts ....

... and if you disagree with what I say or quote, then be adult about it and give your reasons why you disagree .... Fuck .... you are not 12 years old!!! ... grow up mate!!

dim, the discussion is fine, and it's over there, which is a good call by C3PO as it is an OBI. One of your links was even repeat posted by her/him in case we missed it. We can have a civilised discussion about it over there, not here.

The reference to taking the piss was to the Stevie Wonder link, not the other links.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2018, 07:28:53 pm »
If you are in the at risk groups, get the jab.
I have had 9 days of feeling crap (including 4 days of going back to bed every so often), and I'm still not well. My wife and daughter have been affected, though my daughter had the jab and she's been loads better than us. Next year I'm getting jabbed!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2018, 07:32:12 pm »
Jan or jab?

MikeFromLFE

• Previously known as Millimole
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 07:33:50 pm »
Mrs M falls into a couple of vaccination categories and is a keen receiver of injections - she started with what we thought was a cold on New Year's Eve, she is still proper poorly, feeling like poo most of the time, sleeping (or trying to) for 18 hours a day, coughing her guts up, a slightly raised temperature, and not eating.
If isn't isn't flu, I don't know what it is.
Against her better judgement I'm going to drag her to the GP next week - I don't know what they can do, but I need some reassurance.

Sent from my P01W using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 07:34:49 pm »
They don't give flu vaccines to primary school children routinely in England, or certainly didn't when my son was that age (but he's been in secondary for 3 yrs so might have changed).

Jan or jab?
Wow has both!
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2018, 07:47:36 pm »
I'm approaching pension-age, reasonably fit and active—never considered getting a jab.  But comments here, and from my rather more cautious partner, make me think.

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 08:01:19 pm »
Children up to year 4 are offered the vaccine. It is a nasal spray for them not a jab. Due to our itenerant status the Duck missed it this year, but he had it last year. I am in favour of all vaccines where appropriate. I have a pretty robust immune system after years of working with children, but clarion hasn't, and many other people haven't and I don't think it's fair to risk exposing them to something we could have vaccinated against.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2018, 08:37:37 pm »
Jan or jab?
Jab. Phone autocorrect, which I missed. :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2018, 08:44:03 pm »
Jan or jab?
Jab. Phone autocorrect, which I missed. :(

These things happen.

I have an eye for them, which is a double-edged sword.

IJL

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 08:55:23 pm »
Children who are 2-3 but not yet 4 on the 1 of Sept' 2017 are eligible for the Nasal Vaccine at their GP surgery
School reception and years 1-4 should be offered it at school thru the school health programme
Those people from school year 5 to 65 years can be vaccinated on the basis of being in a high risk group. 
Most surgeries will write to those in high risk groups because we get funded for giving the vaccine
65+ are eligible on the basis of age, also eligible for Pneumonia vaccine

I dont think i have seen any more flu this year than i have at this time of year over the past 5 years or so but things are likely different  elsewehere.

On the subject of vaccines I get regular updates on measles outbreaks in Europe where the vaccination rate is low.  There is a concern that  it could arrive in the UK although the vaccination rates here are far higher

Measles is now so rare in the UK that most of will never see a case

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2018, 10:04:36 pm »

It's one of those diseases that the Deaf community remembers properly.  For obvious reasons.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2018, 12:40:22 am »
Aunt Phyllis (aged 98 years 11 months) is/was supposed to have a flu jab. Last winter she was on a list for a visit from the appropriate medical professional. It was almost into spring before she had the jab. She didn't get flu.

This reminds me. Some time before Christmas we had a call from a nurse who said they would be visiting her on a particular day, but so far as I recall there was no reason given for the visit. Every so often very old people just get routine visits. I don't know whether a flu jab would have been involved. With the hurly-burly of the festive season and other goings on at The Baggery it completely slipped my mind to find out why the said nurse didn't arrive. I will phone the surgery on Monday morning to find out what was the purpose of the (non-)call and ask about flu jabs.

In this house we are all members of "at risk" groups. Dez is on strong immunosuppressants so ought to have it. I understand that people living in the same house as those on strong immunosuppressants ought to have it so as not to infect. Phyllis is a member of an at-risk group because of her extreme age. Jan is because of asthma. I am because I'm on immunosuppressants as well.
Basses lower the tone.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2018, 12:56:44 am »

It's one of those diseases that the Deaf community remembers properly.  For obvious reasons.

My mum was a trainee nurse in the early 70s, she says if you've ever seen measles encephalitis or indeed a child being seriously sick with measles you wouldn't think twice about vaccination. 

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2018, 02:09:51 pm »
I had measles as a child. I remember being kept in a darkened bedroom, and being fed peeled grapes. Fortunately I don’t remember and pain.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2018, 06:21:50 pm »
I used to get it every year after my first bout of 'flu – it wasn't an experience to repeat (the ice bath thing – it's real) and certainly stopped me calling colds 'flu.'

Then I had my second bout of 'flu immediately after getting the jab one year. Now, while I know it's very, very, very likely to be coincidence, I seem to have forgotten to take up the offer (we get them free aboard the mothership) since. Which may be a comment on human irrationality and why things anti-vaccination catch on.

That said, as a fairly regularly traveller to the tropics, I have been vaccinated pretty much against everything with nothing other than sore arms (and a lack of hepatitis, rabies, yellow fever etc.)
!nataS pihsroW

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - a Pacific bike ride
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2018, 06:41:56 pm »
dim,

Are you drunk?