Author Topic: Flu jab  (Read 7630 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Flu jab
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2018, 07:06:46 pm »
I would get it if it was available as sub-cut or IV, but I react badly to IM injections. Last time I had it, my arm swelled so badly I was still getting physio for it 6 months later. I know there are work reasons why having it would be a good idea, but I've only had proper flu once in my life so I don't think I'm particularly prone to it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2018, 11:41:17 pm »
Just had this from daughter no. 1 (Maidstone):

Ben is in bed. He feels the worst he has done. He and Marf will take the day off tomorrow. I was in bed from 11 til 2. I am tidying up then going to bed. This shit never ends.

Ben, her husband, became ill over a week ago.

I think (but am by no means sure) that she told me that the children were given nasal anti-flu inoculations and that every child whose parents didn't opt out was done.

We were last there on 11th/12th December looking after an ailing grandson. Mrs. Wow became infected with something and suffered for a week or so. One or more of the four of them has been ill, and quite badly ill, since then. Our gcs haven't had their Christmas presents from us yet.

Edit: just found this. I'm pretty sure our gcs were done. https://www.kentcht.nhs.uk/service/immunisation-team/school-age-flu/
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

robgul

• HoECC & Cycle:End-to-End webmaster, S Warwickshire Bike Shop in Wellesbourne
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited, manages an LBS
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 06:55:10 am »
I've had the flu jab for the last few years - I go for an INR test about every 8 weeks and they just do it when the time comes - I had it last time I went in November (I'm going again this morning - I have my little yellow record book ready!) - but last time I was also offered a shingles jab - apparently having passed 70 I was now in the recommended cohort - so, flu in one arm, shingles in the other ... and as warned the shingles made be feel a bit off-colour for a few days as it's a "live vaccine" that has stronger reaction to the body. 

[For the shingles they checked which medications I was on and that I was not on chemo ... as the jab would have probably killed me if I was!]

Rob

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2018, 07:03:17 am »
I had all three childhood infections, measles, mumps and German measles, not sure why I wasn't vaccinated but no serious effects of any of the infections in my case.

As for the flu vaccine, I think I've had flu probably three times in my life, each one effectively over in about 4-5 days of the typical near death experience, the worst being the one that caused my skin to become so sensitive that just wearing clothes was painful.

Ironically enough though, the last dose of flu, five years ago now triggered an auto-immune screw up with my T-cells attacking my pancreas.  So I'm now in one of the high risk groups for flu thanks to the flu itself. In my case high risk because the flu can screw up blood glucose control and increase likelihood of ketoacidosis which is no fun.

I think I had the jab in the first wintertime after diagnosis, but haven't bothered since

[edited to account for Androids spelchuking]
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2018, 09:08:10 am »
Well Mr M was told to get one (he has asthma) but Suffolk have run out of vaccines ::-) so I guess he'll just have to man up....and avoid being breathed on by sickly people.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2018, 09:21:21 am »
Flu zonked my friend's pancreas too. A bout of a flu and a few weeks later he was found unconscious on the kitchen floor.

My wife's grandmother had rubella when she had first child. He had significant mental and physical disabilities including the heart defect that killed him a few years ago. We forget about these things and how common they were.
!nataS pihsroW

ElyDave

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2018, 11:05:07 am »
Flu zonked my friend's pancreas too. A bout of a flu and a few weeks later he was found unconscious on the kitchen floor.

My wife's grandmother had rubella when she had first child. He had significant mental and physical disabilities including the heart defect that killed him a few years ago. We forget about these things and how common they were.

In my case I just carried on running and cycling, lost over 10% of my bodyweight and ran a 23 mile fell race in 4h25 for 35th place as an uncontrolled T1 diabetic, I was diagnosed on the following Tuesday  ;D.  I went back the following year and improved my time getting on the first page of the results in 25th place.

Hope your friend is now in control and OK.  I have no doubt that if I hadn't been as fit as I was and exercise as I did, I'd have been face down in the kitchen as well.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2018, 12:30:28 pm »
I had all three childhood infections, measles, mumps and German measles, not sure why I wasn't vaccinated but no serious effects of any of the infections in my case.

I don't know your age but I know I was not offered these.
I was born in 1958. I had measles at about 5, mumps at around 7 and rubella at 17.

My younger siblings were offered these as they were introduced.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2018, 12:32:38 pm »

I had a childhood friend who was blinded by maternal rubella.

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2018, 12:38:12 pm »
A bit older than you Helly, I think the only vaccinations available were BCG, Polio and Smallpox. I managed to catch all the childhood illnesses - Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Whooping cough and Chicken pox in rapid succession when I was 6 or 7. I think the only lasting effect was losing more or less a years schooling. 
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2018, 12:53:13 pm »

This is quite well-known as a consequence of gastroenteritis. Some  strains bear surface proteins similar to those on beta cells; the immune system produces antibodies that target the former and takes out the latter as collateral damage ==> overnight Type 1 diabetes.

Immune system shrugs: "Oh well, they shouldn't have been there, and we did get the main target. Mission accomplished".
Où sont les merguez d'antan ?

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2018, 01:34:17 pm »
Indeed, but he had no idea until he passed out. It just luckily happened that his girlfriend found him comatose because he wasn't answering his phone. So yes, type 1 diabetes and regular insulin thereafter. The first time I had 'flu ended up with a dangerously high temperature which meant I had to be literally put on ice. The second time it was most just awful with severe fever and shakes for about a week and in both cases it took a good couple of weeks to really get back to 100%.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2018, 01:40:09 pm »
Well Mr M was told to get one (he has asthma) but Suffolk have run out of vaccines ::-) so I guess he'll just have to man up....and avoid being breathed on by sickly people.

Or pay £10 at a supermarket pharmacy of his choice?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2018, 02:03:25 pm »
Have phoned doc to pursue jabs. I have an appointment for Thursday to discuss with doc whether she thinks I should have the jab, givne last year's "reaction", and an appointment for Monday if the answer is "Yes, do it."

I also asked on Aunt Phyllis's behalf. A nurse will phone her about that.

ElyDave

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2018, 02:09:00 pm »

I don't know your age but I know I was not offered these.
I was born in 1958. I had measles at about 5, mumps at around 7 and rubella at 17.

My younger siblings were offered these as they were introduced.

1974, but a somewhat peripatetic childhood with a father in the RAF, moving every 2-3 years, in one case less than a year. I may have just fallen through the cracks.

Interested in all those other T1 cases, I was a very late case aged 39,  which I'm told is quite unusual

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2018, 02:22:47 pm »
A bit older than you Helly, I think the only vaccinations available were BCG, Polio and Smallpox. I managed to catch all the childhood illnesses - Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Whooping cough and Chicken pox in rapid succession when I was 6 or 7. I think the only lasting effect was losing more or less a years schooling.

You were probably also immunised against Diphtheria, which is almost unheard of nowadays but re-emerged in Russia quite recently.

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2018, 02:33:27 pm »
Yes I think You're right about diptheria. There was also tetanus which wasn't a mass preventative program but you still had to go every few years for a booster.

Or maybe that was just me injuring myself a lot.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2018, 02:40:24 pm »
Tetanus immunisation has indeed been routine for decades.
It's now thought that 5 vaccine doses give life-long immunity so fewer boosters are being given for travel and minor injury nowadays.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2018, 03:06:23 pm »
I think DTP is still a standard childhood immunisation.
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2018, 03:27:21 pm »
I am or used to be something like the opposite of Barakta as regards childhood diseases. Because I, my sister and various childhood friends all had measles, mumps and chicken pox at various ages, I assumed that's the way it was for everyone. Sure, I knew these things could be dangerous, even fatal, for children in the "third world" who were already weakened through malnutrition, other diseases, and far from medical care, but for us in the rich and shinies it involved nothing more than a week or two off school and some pain or itching. In fact, I didn't even get any time off school for chicken pox as it happened at Christmas! It was only really when Mrs Cudzo caught mumps while she was pregnant that I realized it's not always like that (and that some people had neither immunisations nor childhood infection). And then her brother stupidly visited her in hospital, having been told not to, and caught it too!

I can only presume my parents had the same reasoning (not sure if chicken pox vaccination was even available back then) as they certainly weren't vaccogeddonists; had us immunised against the obviously dangerously things like polio and TB.
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2018, 01:19:21 pm »
I remember having chickenpox and mumps, and I remember my brother having rubella when he was about 5. We would definitely have been vaccinated against measles, because my dad's dad had nearly died of it when he was very small, and it left him with severe facial scarring and partially deaf. I remember my brother getting his polio vaccine on a sugar lump, and they gave me a sugar lump too.

I had whooping cough a few years ago despite having been vaccinated as a child, and it was fucking awful.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2018, 03:39:12 pm »
It still possible to develop minor versions of some infections post-vaccination, but tbh, we mostly attribute any rash (which is a common symptom of many minor viral infections) to being some kind of 'measles.'

I saved getting chicken pox until I was at university. The worst bit was the discovery, and it wasn't by me and 'eugh, you're covered in spots' really puts an end to that kind of activity even quicker than end-of-term bed linen. They don't itch until someone tells you they're there and then it's open season.
!nataS pihsroW

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2018, 04:36:18 pm »

Or pay £10 at a supermarket pharmacy of his choice?

That WAS at the pharmacy of his choice. There's none left anywhere apparently.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2018, 07:13:34 pm »
I recall a doctor calling at our house in order to inject all 5 of us against something or other. I was the youngest (probably about 5) and hid in a cupboard. My mother took me to the surgery a few days later for me to have it done. Polio I think, although why there was such a discrepancy in our ages I can't explain. Oldest brother would have been 14.

A nurse called this morning and jabbed Phyllis. I had a doc appointment to disciss his view whether it was a good idea or not, given my reaction last year. He said probably best not to under those circumstances but when I told him that every member of hte household is in an "at risk" group he changed his mind. 11.30 on Monday for me.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2018, 07:18:52 pm »
Had mine this morning.