Author Topic: Matt LeBlanc is an arse  (Read 6470 times)

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
Re: Matt LeBlanc is an arse
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2018, 09:24:32 pm »
It's why I despise driving into London. It forces me to reconsider my natural loyalty to the cyclist when I see some of the idiots providing all the evidence the typical motor-moron needs to despise the rest of us.

Yes, despising someone is obviously a natural, rational and proportional response to seeing them failing to stop at a red light.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2018, 09:36:58 pm »
It's why I despise driving into London. It forces me to reconsider my natural loyalty to the cyclist when I see some of the idiots providing all the evidence the typical motor-moron needs to despise the rest of us.

Yes, despising someone is obviously a natural, rational and proportional response to seeing them failing to stop at a red light.

"Failing to stop" implies they tried.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2018, 09:38:18 pm »
Collective Blame and Collective Responsibility are two equally flawed but different concepts.

The last conversation I had with a cabbie went something like this:-

(Whilst both of us stopped at a red light but a cyclist glides through oblivious...)

Cabbie: You cyclists are all the same, jumping red lights and not giving a fuck.

Me: Eh? I'm stopped at the red light.

Cabbie: But you cyclists think you can ignore the law as you want.

Me: And you black cab drivers are all rapists?

Cabbie: What the fuck did you say?

Me: Well, that John Warboys was a cabbie and he was a rapist, so that means all of you are rapists right?

Cabbie: *starts to turn puce*

Me: So why blame all cyclists for the actions of some of them?

(Light turns green.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2018, 09:43:25 pm »

Oh my god, you mean they didn’t even *try* to stop at the red light? That’s it, string the lot of them up right now.

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2018, 10:03:21 pm »
Collective Blame and Collective Responsibility are two equally flawed but different concepts.

The last conversation I had with a cabbie went something like this:-

(Whilst both of us stopped at a red light but a cyclist glides through oblivious...)

Cabbie: You cyclists are all the same, jumping red lights and not giving a fuck.

Me: Eh? I'm stopped at the red light.

Cabbie: But you cyclists think you can ignore the law as you want.

Me: And you black cab drivers are all rapists?

Cabbie: What the fuck did you say?

Me: Well, that John Warboys was a cabbie and he was a rapist, so that means all of you are rapists right?

Cabbie: *starts to turn puce*

Me: So why blame all cyclists for the actions of some of them?

(Light turns green.)

I'd have liked to have been a fly on the wall there. Its a good point but no way I'd have been quick enough to counter with that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2018, 10:08:11 pm »

Oh my god, you mean they didn’t even *try* to stop at the red light? That’s it, string the lot of them up right now.

What was your previous point about people exaggerating for effect? Remind me.

Anyway this is going nowhere.  My point was that MLB, in his account, was in the right and the cyclists in the wrong.  That can happen you know.  Cyclists can sometimes be in the wrong*

*Although I don't have the time or inclination to argue with people who refuse to accept that.  I don't belong to the seeming car/bicycle war-zone that is London so I'll leave and let Londoners discuss.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2018, 10:22:55 pm »
I'd have liked to have been a fly on the wall there. Its a good point but no way I'd have been quick enough to counter with that.

I'd been storing it up after I read that particular stereotyping suggestion on a different forum.

Usually I think of the best witty retort a good 7 minutes after any conflagration.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2018, 10:25:25 pm »
Usually I think of the best witty retort a good 7 minutes after any conflagration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27esprit_de_l%27escalier

« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2018, 10:40:32 pm »
I knew the phrase but the history was an interesting read.

(I had a distinct lack of staircase wit last week when I was faced with a daily clump up 4 flights of stairs after walking 400 yards uphill in full ski gear - including ski boots - and carrying 2 sets of adult skis on a rucksack and herding cats four semi-feral children. But at least I was skiing about 20 minutes after I'd climbed those 4 flights.)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2018, 01:11:26 am »
Basically, we all need to co-exist on our roads and should ride/drive accordingly.  I don't think demonising all drivers or cyclists is the way forward.

What a wonderfully spiffing idea!

There’s a good chap, go say that to Matt LeBlanc. Parp!
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2018, 08:08:16 am »
following a "peloton" riding 3,4,5..etc abreast for miles.
pelotons of would be TdF riders

Guilty, your honour. At the end of a week in the Alps we were being hooted at while we posed for a photo.

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2018, 08:22:10 am »
Guilty, your honour. At the end of a week in the Alps we were being hooted at while we posed for a photo.

How inconsiderate!

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2018, 08:27:25 am »

Hardly what I'd call a peloton, and I suspect you didn't continue in that formation for miles.

So you see, it's not only motorists - some cyclists, by admitting their "guilt", even exaggerate their own misdemeanours for the sake of excusing motorists' impatience.

What a world we live in.

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2018, 09:03:15 am »
What I don't like is when he said "Do I bump them with the car? No." Assuming those are his actual words, they're quite nasty. He's seeking to downplay his own action by providing a contrast with something more serious – okay. But he's also saying "some drivers would bump them with the car". Saying it in that way has the effect of both putting it in people's minds as a possibility and to an extent legitimising it.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

Samuel D

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2018, 09:03:54 am »
So you see, it's not only motorists - some cyclists, by admitting their "guilt", even exaggerate their own misdemeanours for the sake of excusing motorists' impatience.

What a world we live in.

That is the take-home point for me. Our society is so car-bound that even the keenest cyclists, as in this thread, often end up thinking like entitled drivers. They’re like women defending sexism or turkeys voting for Christmas.

And all kinds of false equivalences crop up in these debates; for example, that jumping a red light on a bicycle is comparable to doing so in a car. But the greatest false equivalence is that drivers and cyclists have equal right to the road. Instead cyclists have the absolute moral superiority here and a stronger right to the road than any car with its trail of environmental and civic destruction. We should never forget that even as we mollify drivers for the sake of expedience.

« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2018, 05:45:27 pm »
following a "peloton" riding 3,4,5..etc abreast for miles.
pelotons of would be TdF riders

French or Swiss Alps ?

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2018, 07:28:13 pm »
French or Swiss Alps ?

French. From my notes, on the last day we rode up the Col de Saises and decended, heading north, into Sallanches. The previous day's final peak was the Col de la Madelaine and as this photo was taken at the start of the day's ride that would mean it is approximately somewhere between the two cols.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2018, 06:00:54 pm »
Is that an Aqua & Sapone zebra kit?
Presumably never before seen in the Alps as Cippo would have climbed off.
Could explain the hoot!
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2018, 10:30:16 pm »

road-runner

• is in Slovakia.
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2018, 06:43:36 am »
Is that an Aqua & Sapone zebra kit?

Three of the riders wore that kit.