86 (37.2%)
Good, but others may be better
26 (11.3%)
Only really a last resort
2 (0.9%)
It will a cold, cold day on Hades...
2 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 195

Author Topic: Chain Reaction Cycles  (Read 70480 times)

The Mechanic

Re: Chain Reaction Cycles
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 11:42:52 pm »
Well, its now Wednesday and still no stuff.  Tomorrow is Thursday, that will be 7 days since I ordered it and 4 days since CRC say they dispatched it.  I ordered 2 tyres from Probikekit on Monday, they arrived on my desk this morning.  That's the sort of service we used to get from CRC. >:(

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2009, 12:48:09 pm »
Ordered £70 worth of kit first thing yesterday hopng to have it today - all in stock - not shipped yet - their accounts page seems completely borked - it hasn't shown any of my (many) orders for 6 months or more.

Received this morning, so the world hasn't stopped turning after all. The problem with their accounts seems to be with Safari, its ok with Firefox (Mac). CRC are still light years ahead of most e-tailers, Wiggle seem to be holding a lot less stock these days, certainly in the clothing ranges, perhaps to benefit their dhb range, which is always available!

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2009, 12:53:06 pm »
I've always had great service from CRC.
Just the once though they did fook my order up. It was to my advantage, so I'm fine with it.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

The Mechanic

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2009, 12:48:18 pm »
Stuff finally delivered on Thursday morning.  Not the "next day" service I have had in the past from CRC.

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2009, 02:11:11 pm »
On Thursday afternoon I put an order into both CRC and Wiggle for almost the same thing within a few minutes of each other.  I was looking for some cheap bib-shorts, and I ordered a likely looking pair from each supplier that was only available from their respective shops.  They both arrived this morning, so identical delivery times.

Even with a few days longer delivery time, this sort of service is pretty good.  A few years ago most companies would have done the whole "allow 28 days for delivery" thing, and now we moan if things take more than a couple of days. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2009, 06:15:18 pm »
They've stopped selling loose spokes in 700c sizes.  Oh well.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2009, 09:29:24 am »
Placed order for a new computer (free delivery) just after 5 on Tuesday.
Dispatched Wednesday, arrived Thursday.
Noticed that bits were missing (from the computer, not items on the order) and emailed to ask whether they could forward them or if I needed to do a return late Friday morning.
I didn't get a reply until Monday, but that came before 9am and confirmed that the missing bits were on their way with no hassle and they duly arrived on Tuesday.
That seems pretty good to me.

I got a bit bored with all the non-garish clothes only being available in a small last time I was looking for a top, but I'll live with that. Small people: they're worth a look!  :)

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2009, 10:47:07 pm »
My MTB tyres took longer, but only slightly. Good price, no postage. Goods exactly as specified. :thumbsup:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2009, 09:14:49 am »
Hmm, I just got an order from them, a pair of brake/gear levers to replace the one I pranged last Sunday.

Yes, there were two levers in the package, both left hand. :-\  If they were selling them individually I could understand this, but they only sell them as a pair.

Of course, I only need the right hand one, so effectively I'm doubly stuffed. ;D

Lets see if the returns bods will just let me return the one, rather than having to send both back, just to get one back from them yet again (at twice the postage...)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2009, 04:11:17 pm »
Have ordered a fair bit of stuff from them and have found them reasonable and reliable.

H

FyPuNK

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2009, 08:28:46 pm »
Just orderd my first lot of parts from them, spot on, well packaged, the journey of said parts was a little bit of an eye opener by parcel force, from the shop to Belfast to Coventry and up to  Preston in approx 13 hours, however Preston to Blackpool (16 miles) took fourteen and half hours.
I will order from them again.

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2009, 12:55:03 pm »
Well, after fluffing things up, and sending me two identical levers instead of a complimentary pair last time, ChainReaction had managed to recoup a fair amount of credibility with me.

They did want me to return both levers, but they did then send the correct pair with less than a week between me posting them back, and the new ones arriving, which isn't bad allowing for two lots of first class postage, and them having to open, check, and then resend stuff for me.  Some companies can be a bit useless in this sort of situation, where there is little profit for them (but a lot of bad press if they get it wrong).  Major thumbs up for efficiency.

On Thursday evening I put in two orders to them, both of which turned up first thing this morning (when I was eating my breakfast in Bognor on the FNRttC).  That's damned impressive for their "free" postage option.  One order was just a pair of Shimano shoes essentially identical to ones I already have, to put aside as a spare set (they were on special).  The other order is a very shiny Lezyne mini track pump, and a review is likely to follow in a different section.

Very impressive work by them making good their slightly tarnished reputation.  Everyone makes the occasional mistake, but they dealt with it faster than I expected, and have continued to provide an excellent fast service. :thumbsup:

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2009, 03:17:15 pm »
Am not super-pleased with the fact that to cancel and order, I have to phone them instead of just clicking a button on the website.

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2009, 04:41:28 pm »
... The other order is a very shiny Lezyne mini track pump, and a review is likely to follow in a different section...
Let us know how it compares with the competition (e.g. Topeak Mini/Mountain/Road Morph), if possible.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2009, 11:00:39 am »
Disappointed with their packaging.
Ordered 3 hubs w/ skewers.
The hubs & skewers were just thrown loose into a jiffy bag.  So a couple of days bouncing around the Post Office system and the hubs are scratched.

αdαmsκι

• Twitter @Dr_AAY Instagram @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2009, 12:47:16 pm »
Looking through my account history, since July 2007 I've used CRC a dozen time, and in total have spent nearly £300 with them. I have never had a problem with any of those orders and the free delivery option has, as far as I can remember, turned up really quickly. Their prices are great, too. The most recent orders have been:

• Campag Mirage 10 speed cassette for £20 :thumbsup: Ordered Sunday evening, arrived Tuesday morning.
  • Endura MT500 Shorts at half price and a Infini Luxo Aluminium Front LED at a silly cheap price. Ordered Wednesday evening and arrived Friday.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2009, 02:54:39 pm »
They sent me an unordered set of FSR riser bars...???

(But they sent them quickly, with the things I did order, and refunded my postage for the returns..)

TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

αdαmsκι

• Twitter @Dr_AAY Instagram @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2009, 06:44:42 pm »
I had a Blackburn Mars 3 light which annoying broke:

The original light came from CRC, so I optimistically sent an email to sales@chainreactioncycles.com. To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything in reply, but the following day I got a reply from CRC asking if I could take some photographs of the broken light. This I did and I emailed them off to CRC. They replied the next day saying a new light was in the post, which was simply brilliant. Top marks. However, a couple of days later the light hadn't arrived and I suddenly realised that CRC hadn't actually asked for an address. Another email to CRC and it turns out they'd dispatched the light to the same address that the original light had been dispatched to in May 2008, which is my old work place  ::-). At least it didn't got to one of my previous houses and an ex-colleague should be able to collect the package on my behalf. Apart from that cock-up, I'm very impressed with CRC. OK, the light does have a life time warrant according to the Blackburn website, but CRC have responded rapidly to my emails and were very quick to post out the new light.

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

The Mechanic

« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2009, 04:56:23 pm »
I had virtually the same damage to a Mars 3 that I bought from EBC 3 years previously.  I took it back to them and quoted Blackburn's lifetime warrantee and they gave me another, no problems. 

robgul

• HoECC & Cycle:End-to-End webmaster, S Warwickshire Bike Shop in Wellesbourne
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited, manages an LBS
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2010, 10:26:56 pm »
Somewhat pissed off with CRC ... having bought a lot of stuff from them over the past few years.

Needed some cheap-ish tubes - their top-selling brand was listed at £19.99 for 10 or £2.99 each.   (700, 18 - 23, long valve)

On 23 Jan ordered the 10 pack offer - order acknowledged, Paypal payment went through, message saying would be despatched on 25 Jan.  Excellent ... so I thought.

Fairly blunt e-mail received mid-Monday 25 Jan waffling about a stock shortage, can't supply, money refunded by Paypal (which arrived within 10 minutes)

Looked at the site ... offer for the same product still there for singles - created an order for 10  .... fine, in stock ... .. did not proceed with the order - e-mailed CRC to suggest that there was something wrong ... no reply.

Seems like they don't want to honour the deal they offered which seems wrong to me - and even more galling is that the other size of the same product (23-28) is still there for the 10 offer at the price I ordered on.

Have to say this is the first time I've had a problem with CRC.

Disappointed of Stratford-upon-Avon

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2010, 09:09:59 pm »
Ordered 4 x 26" inner tubes on Sunday night at a bargain price of £3.  They did have a pack of 5 for £21 which made no economic sense - I ordered 4 in case some computer glitch charged me the multipack price.

Arrived promptly Tuesday.  In fact at the same time as the computer mount I'd ordered from Wiggle 30 seconds later.

rdaviesb

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2010, 10:12:07 pm »
For the first time in 19 orders they've got it wrong. Instead of supplying a pack of three MAVIC chains for £30 (bargain, so I thought) only one was in the jiffy bag. Have emailed them with a copy of the picking sheet (which is incorrectly marked up) and so the test of a really good vendor is now under way.

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2010, 10:16:03 pm »
I had a saddle go AWOL in the post the other week, and they happily sent another when I informed them.

rdaviesb

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2010, 08:44:35 pm »
For the first time in 19 orders they've got it wrong. Instead of supplying a pack of three MAVIC chains for £30 (bargain, so I thought) only one was in the jiffy bag. Have emailed them with a copy of the picking sheet (which is incorrectly marked up) and so the test of a really good vendor is now under way.

..and they've come up trumps, sending the extra chains with no quibble at all. Well done CRC.  :thumbsup:

The Mechanic

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2010, 10:51:03 am »
I think they are slipping with their service.  I ordered some shoes on Wednesday (there were showing as in stock) and as of this morning, they are still showing as "Processing".  That means that, even if thet process my order and despatch today, I won't get them until at least Monday.  Not good enough  IMHO and certainly not up to the standard I have had in hte past. >:(