Author Topic: Flights of Fancy  (Read 23213 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: Flights of Fancy
« Reply #275 on: September 16, 2020, 09:09:09 pm »
Saving electrons. VMC Bird Dog WIP
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #276 on: September 16, 2020, 09:16:12 pm »
I'm going slow due to masses of work keeping me brain dead in the evenings, but with the dansing programme on the beeb restarting, I predict an uptick in balsa fettling.

Fuselage structure mostly done, with front and rear stringers. Managed to get out of sequence and fit bottom stringers ahead of the undercarriage and F5A, but I can get them in with a bit of fiddling.  U/C bending went surprisingly well, will post a pic sometime.  Only made one error, tried to unbend it and snapped the wire.  Good learning curve, remaining wire was sufficient and I paid attention. Just need to trim the legs for the wheel fit.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

TheLurker

« Reply #277 on: September 17, 2020, 05:45:21 am »
ElyDave >I'm going slow due to masses of work keeping me brain dead in the evenings...

Likewise and the brain fog lead me to screw up the bottom line of the anti-glare panel which means it's wrong for 62620, but I'm consoling myself that there are examples out there which do have it as I've done it.  Just not 62620, grrrr.

ElyDave>... but with the dansing programme on the beeb restarting...

Lovely isn't it?  Two (or more) hours guaranteed to be absolutely free of interruption every Sat. for far more important things. :)

ElyDave> Just need to trim the legs for the wheel fit.

Don't do that until after you've fitted the wheels.  If you use an insulation sleeve to hold the wheel in place it's far easier to leave the UC leg overlong, fit the wheel, slide a longish sleeve into place, cut to length and then a put tiny dod of glue (epoxy, CA) on the cut end. Make sure the sleeve _is_ glued in place or you may find yourself having to make another wheel (or wheels) to replace any that get lost on landing in long grass.  Yes, that is the voice of (bitter) experience.

If you've yet to sand the wheels to profile it's worth knowing that the x-sect shown on the plan leaves you with quite a "square" looking wheel.  The tyres on the L-19/O-1 were chunky, but not _that_ chunky so a bit more of a curve than shown is required.  It's not obvious it's "wrong" until after you've painted the wheels.  DAHIKT.

TheLurker

« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2020, 05:34:20 pm »
Sorry, but ICBA to log in to imgbb & upload pics. Moar Bird Dog WIP