Author Topic: Whyte Wessex  (Read 1014 times)

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
Whyte Wessex
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:34:48 pm »
So my LBS were clearing out 2017 stock and made me an offer I couldn't refuse for n+1

First ride today. First impressions are ....

Great frame design and build quality - quick to accelerate up hills, filters a lot of road vibrations. Good fit for me, though the frame is long for its size so I put a shorter stem on. Fast but stable handling. Clever and discrete custom made mudguards. Screw fit bottom bracket. Concealed cables and oversize fork means very clean lines - looks great. Gear changes flawless.

Wheels fine, wide tyres for a road bike but I'm used to that. Saddle felt hard compared to others that I have but I have no butt soreness. Fabulous hydraulic disc brakes.

Grin factor so far - huge. Riding flattery - large.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

dim

Re: Whyte Wessex
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 07:44:23 pm »
I like the Whyte Wessex but could not find a used one at reasonable price that is my size. I ended up getting a Whyte Suffolk which I will use as my daily commuter, and for some shorter Audax rides. I will get better wheels (I'm looking closely at the Hunt SuperDura Dynamo Disc which costs £499, is tubeless ready and has a Son Dynamo)

I cannot really compare it to the Wessex as the Wessex is a far better bike. I think that a Wessex will make a really good Audax Bike.

I don't see many Whyte bikes in Cambridge though
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
Re: Whyte Wessex
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:01:58 am »
Oh I don't know that the 2017 Wessex is far better than the Suffolk - it shares many of the same components, the only real difference is the main frame. The 2018 version of the Wessex has had a component upgrade and substantial price hike, presumably to differentiate it from the cheaper Wessex One.

If the Wessex hadn't been on offer I would have certainly considered the Suffolk. Glad you like it anyway.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.