Author Topic: Front fairing  (Read 597 times)

Socks

• FFCT rally, France 2012
Front fairing
« on: March 17, 2018, 12:45:21 pm »
Has anyone tried one of these as a front fairing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polisport-Childseat-Wind-Screen-Clear-Front-/281987563306?clk_rvr_id=1469365261980&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=twenga&utm_campaign=twenga&utm_param=eyJlcyI6MCwicyI6OTcyMDIzNywiY2kiOiIwMzc3NTgzZDM3MWVhMTc0NmJiMWYyYzU0NTE3ZjY4OCIsImkiOiIyODE5ODc1NjMzMDYiLCJ0cyI6MTUyMTI5MDQ4MiwidiI6Mywic28iOjE1MDAsImMiOjU2ODA4fQ%3D%3D&rmvSB=true

It's quite heavy - 1.4kg; and smallish.  But cheap so might be a good way to try a front fairing for the first time.  And I suppose if I'm happy with that I could upgrade to something lighter.  It would be for a two wheel recumbent conversion, based on a classic Moulton f-frame.

Re: Front fairing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 06:41:21 pm »
It won't work as it looks to flat.
Look at the shape of the bowl at the front of a Steamer/Windwrap fairing.
That the shape your after.

Why are you after a fairing.
If it's speed then a good tail box will give you a better aero advantage.
If it's weatherproofing, then spray still come in from the sides.
The best advantage of a front fairing is it hold the front of a body sock in place.

I use a Streamer fairing on my bent trike because it makes the trike look bigger from the front (better for bullying cars on single track roads) and it deflects bugs over my head at speed ......  ;D

Socks

• FFCT rally, France 2012
Re: Front fairing
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 10:25:32 am »
thanks Tigerbiten - looks like the front fairing experiment can wait.  I have a nicely shaped 'Radical' bag for the back which probably serves as a reasonable bit of streamlining at the back so that will be sufficient.