Author Topic: West Midlands finally gets a bike hire scheme  (Read 1250 times)

Kim

• Timelord
West Midlands finally gets a bike hire scheme
« on: March 20, 2018, 02:32:39 pm »
Bromptondock's been around for ages now, but that's no substitute for short-term hire schemes.  We had a car-based one in Birmingham for a while, which was a flop.  Looks like this might actually happen:

http://www.birminghamupdates.com/nextbike-has-been-revealed-as-west-midlands-bike-share-operator/

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/brums-version-boris-bikes-way-14434411

Not stopping at the local authority borders is likely to be important if it catches on, and integrating with the Swift card (a sort of Wet Midlands version of Oyster that doesn't work on the trains) is excellent.

Of course the main problem is that the West Midlands Conurbation makes That London look pleasant to cycle in, and that the easiest way to get around central Birmingham is as a pedestrian.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
Re: West Midlands finally gets a bike hire scheme
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 02:51:11 pm »
I think Nextbike operate in Bath, but all I can tell you is that they are grey and therefore far inferior to the Yobikes in Bristol, which are yellow:D
Faster than a walk, slower than a train, often slightly higher than a person. (David Byrne)

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 03:06:47 pm »
I think Nextbike operate in Bath, but all I can tell you is that they are grey and therefore far inferior to the Yobikes in Bristol, which are yellow:D

It's a bit rubbish, yes (though to be fair, grey does fit in with the general colourscheme of the West Midlands Conurbation).  We do have the best Bromptondock bike colour, thobut:

Brompton Bike Hire comes to Birmingham by Birmingham City Council, on Flickr

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 03:38:29 pm »
Note to self: Brompton + Birmingham => Purple lurgi and the kind of facelessness that suggests a Dr. Who villian is in operation.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 09:37:05 pm »
An email advertising this popped into my inbox this morning:  https://www.wmcyclehire.co.uk/

I note they cunningly chose Sutton Coldfield for the initial deployment.  This is evidence of Brummie joined-up thinking, as they just removed the pop-up cycle infra from Sutton Coldfield in order to fit more cars in.  It's still vapourwear until they have double-digit bikes and more than one dock.

The Beryl app seems to be a national thing.  Good name.

Prices are disappointing, especially compared to the Voi Scooters (currently £1 to unlock, 20p/min)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 10:22:14 pm »
It costs £1 to unlock a bike and then just 5p per minute of cycling.
Wow. The Yo bikes in Bristol cost £1 per hour.
Faster than a walk, slower than a train, often slightly higher than a person. (David Byrne)

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 10:25:52 pm »
It costs £1 to unlock a bike and then just 5p per minute of cycling.
Wow. The Yo bikes in Bristol cost £1 per hour.

Yeah, a bit of a change from the "free for the first 30 minutes" and "£30/year" originally announced.  Also 1500 bikes rather than the original 5000.  At least you won't need a driving licence?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 10:28:55 pm »
Not sure how many Yos there used to be or how many survive. I reckon most are in the docks by now, and I note Birmingham's got far more miles of canals then Bristol has river.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 10:37:25 pm »
Hopefully being a no-the-other-kind-of-dock-based scheme should help with that.

Surprisingly few Vois have ended up in the canals so far, but enough for them to want to improve the waterproofing.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 11:18:39 pm »
I've let my Liverpool bike hire subscription lapse.  There are very few actual bikes anymore,  they've mostly been replaced by E-bikes & significantly fewer of them.    The Voi scooters are very popular though.  Yet to try them.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark