Author Topic: what little stove?  (Read 4625 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
Re: what little stove?
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2018, 04:07:01 pm »

Doing a fry up on a canister top stove when half asleep is a recipe for spilling bacon on the grass...

Remote canister stoves lower the centre of gravity, reducing this risk. But at the cost of extra weight and bulk.

This. 

Cannister-top stoves are simply crap on the sort of ground where 99.9999% of people need to use a camping stove.

I swear by the remote canister tripod style (similar to Wowbagger's Alpkit, though mine is steel - Campingaz). Rock solid for kettles and even large pans.  They are also easy to shelter from cross-winds.
Having proved that it is possible to simultaneously scald grass with a potful of boiling water and set it on fire by tipping over a lit stove, I've bought a stand for my cannister-top stove. It's just three plastic legs which the cannister sits on. Haven't had an opportunity to use it yet, but it was only £6 as opposed to eg £45 for the Alpkit remote cannister stove linked to above.
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2018, 07:05:34 pm »
I've bought a stand for my cannister-top stove. It's just three plastic legs which the cannister sits on. Haven't had an opportunity to use it yet, but it was only £6 as opposed to eg £45 for the Alpkit remote cannister stove linked to above.
Different brands of canister vary in diameter, so some will fit better than others, with poorly fitting canisters either not being gripped properly, or the legs not properly spread out (eg  2x105°+ 150°, rather than 3x120°).

That's why I recommended the MSR version up above; one of the grippers is spring loaded so it grips all canisters reasonably.

I'd suggest visiting some shops and trying a few out, so at least you start off with a canister that fits.

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2018, 07:37:37 pm »
using a pot cosy*

* pot cosies are made from Thermawrap, which can be bought in large rolls from Wickes, B&Q etc for around £25, or small quantities suitable for a couple of pots from backpackinglight.co.uk for around £7 (plus gaffer tape). If you've got 8-10 minute pasta, bring it to the boils, then put the pot in the cosy and it will be ready in 13-15 mins.

Ooh, having previously spent an inordinate amount of time waiting for rice to cook, that looks like an interesting approach. I'm curious to give it a go, having watched the how-to video and noting that Toolstation do a small roll of ThermaWrap for a tenner...

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2018, 07:45:08 pm »
using a pot cosy*

* pot cosies are made from Thermawrap, which can be bought in large rolls from Wickes, B&Q etc for around £25, or small quantities suitable for a couple of pots from backpackinglight.co.uk for around £7 (plus gaffer tape). If you've got 8-10 minute pasta, bring it to the boils, then put the pot in the cosy and it will be ready in 13-15 mins.

Ooh, having previously spent an inordinate amount of time waiting for rice to cook, that looks like an interesting approach. I'm curious to give it a go, having watched the how-to video and noting that Toolstation do a small roll of ThermaWrap for a tenner...

You don't actually need anything magic and insulaty for rice.  Bring it to the boil, put the lid on it, cook something meaty or otherwise in the 15 minute range and then maybe factor in a bonus 30 seconds to bring the lukewarm but by now miraculously fully cooked rice back up to temperature.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2018, 08:05:06 pm »
I've bought a stand for my cannister-top stove. It's just three plastic legs which the cannister sits on. Haven't had an opportunity to use it yet, but it was only £6 as opposed to eg £45 for the Alpkit remote cannister stove linked to above.
Different brands of canister vary in diameter, so some will fit better than others, with poorly fitting canisters either not being gripped properly, or the legs not properly spread out (eg  2x105°+ 150°, rather than 3x120°).

That's why I recommended the MSR version up above; one of the grippers is spring loaded so it grips all canisters reasonably.

I'd suggest visiting some shops and trying a few out, so at least you start off with a canister that fits.
I wondered about different cannisters being different diameters so asked when I bought it – and was assured that all brands of the same size are the same diameter. Well, use will tell.
An ungovernable laughter, a joyous agitation which makes the summer stretching before you seem like an unrolling canvas on which you might draw those first rude pure strokes that are free. (Capote)

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2018, 11:19:46 pm »

I wondered about different cannisters being different diameters so asked when I bought it – and was assured that all brands of the same size are the same diameter. Well, use will tell.

That's not always the case from my experience
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2018, 02:32:19 am »
Would it be simpler to just plan on changing stoves a few times during your trip? Campingaz or alcohol for the European leg, Coleman fuel or multi-fuel for the North American leg, and whatever is most common in Asia. If nothing else, this would save you the trouble of arguing with airline security people about your stove every time you got on a plane.

Regarding MSR and other multi-fuel stoves: MSR's website states that their stoves will last longer and run better if they are used with white gas/Coleman fuel (or MSR's own rather expensive fuel). My experience is that running unleaded auto fuel in a MSR stove results in a fair bit of smoke and soot, while running Coleman fuel results in a much cleaner cooking experience. I've also found that US filling station owners/managers are getting pickier about what type of container their customers put fuel in.

One more vote for the MSR canister tripod over the plastic models. It's much sturdier and, as Oxford_Guy points out, canister size is not quite as consistent as the shop staff would have you believe.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - a Pacific bike ride
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2018, 11:11:37 am »
Was that aimed at me mark?  That's basically the plan: exist on gas until Anchorage, then if I can't get it in Asia, buy a local petrol stove.  Then again, food in the sticks in China might well turn out to be cheap enough that I don't need to cook - it'll be something to find out on the ground.

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2018, 12:03:33 pm »
I have a little titanium canister top stove that is very powerful and tiny.  However, anything running on butane/propane mix is hopeless in cold weather, by which I mean almost any summer morning.  It'll work wirh a fresh canister until the propane has boiled off, then dwindle to almost nothing.
Never tell me the odds.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2018, 02:42:27 pm »
I have a little titanium canister top stove that is very powerful and tiny.  However, anything running on butane/propane mix is hopeless in cold weather, by which I mean almost any summer morning.  It'll work wirh a fresh canister until the propane has boiled off, then dwindle to almost nothing.

The best work-around for this is a stove with a pre-heat loop, but that adds bulk.

Or stand the cartridge in a container of water.  Tap-cold water is a much more effective way of delivering heat to the canister than chilly air.  But that adds even more bulk.

I've got one of those little titanium stoves, and it works nicely as a one-shot roadside brew-up device.  For camping, I either bring something better for actual cooking, or don't bother with a stove.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2018, 06:29:03 pm »
We have pads like a round hand warmer that work to warm the canister. An actual hand warmer might do the job as well. Or putting it in a sock in your sleeping bag.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - a Pacific bike ride
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2018, 08:23:15 pm »

Here, more or less.

Given that route can I very strongly suggest that you *DO NOT* go for a canister top screw on stove (pocket rocket et al). You will find issues with finding fuel.

Go for a multifuel stove that allows you to screw on a canister too. MSR make a whisperlite stove that will work on liquid fuel (petrol mainly), and also canister gas. This is the most affordable of the multifuel stoves. Then you get into the MSR Dragonfly, lovely, burns everything, sounds like a jet engine, or the Primus stoves. The Primus Omnilite Ti is what I went for, it's the lightest multifuel stove, it burns petrol, diesel, av gas, kerosene, everything short of meths and vodka. If you can't justify the price of the titanium version, the omnifuel is much the same, but heavier. Note both primus stoves are loud, but they sell a silent adapter that screws on the top and improves things greatly.

I hear a lot "I've always used stove x, with fuel y, and I've never had any problem finding fuel for it." And I'm sure for many that is the case. For many that is not the case.

Two continents, four months and nine thousand miles in, do you know how many times I've had to go off-route to find the correct gas cylinder?  Once, with a round trip distance of fifteen miles.  I probably didn't need to make that diversion either, I was just being a bit paranoid about how long my cylinder would last.  I probably did need to make that diversion to stock up on food.

Is fifteen miles every four months an acceptable cost for the advantages given by a gas stove?  That's for the individual camper to decide of course, but if you aren't prepared to accept that level of risk then you should probably switch sports and take up tiddlywinks.  Personally I'm confident that my run of luck will hold out through Japan, so I'll be into a five figure mileage before I have to consider switching stoves in China.  At that point my £30 Soto gas stove will have been well worth it.

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2018, 09:37:56 pm »
White gas stoves work in any conditions but they are not small or light.  Also, if you run them on available-everywhere petrol rather than nice clean naptha (Coleman fuel, Primus Powerfueĺ, Aspen 4, panel wipe) they stink and clog.  The SVEA 123 is probably the smallest but ir's a PITA to get going, with no pump.
Never tell me the odds.